Unpopular opinions

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Fair points on the different styles of play between Kariya, Kane and St. Louis. One counter would be the success of Bure in both the early '90s and late '90s; he seemingly was not affected by the DPE.

As much as Kariya was obstructed in the DPE, one can argue he also thrived against slower, less mobile d-men than he would face today.

I guess I see it as, if anything, players like Jagr and Lindros overperformed in the DPE due to their size moreso than smaller and/or speedier players underperformed.

But I would not argue that Jagr is any less dominant if his prime was today. That would be too unpopular.
I did consider Bure as well, and you may be right. He was a tank physically unlike the others mentioned but he surely gets hurt less now. I consider Bure an underrated talent/player. It's very possible regarding Jagr and Lindros as well, though in Lindros' case you may trade off some game to game domination for a (very likely) much healthier career.

Reactions: Dale53130

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
Brodeur wasn't even a better goalie than Ed Belfour and the only reason he's not ranked below him is because he played for the Devils his whole career.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
That one can become a bit philosophical, how much value there is for a franchise to have that high of a volume goaltender, making zero wave, on good contract, year after year, no need to draft, to spend asset on a solid number 2, etc...

Is part of Brodeur greatness (and winning so much and the Devils being seen as the Devils his whole career) is what he give a GM in franchise building, that become a bit in easy mode ?

Since Brodeur left, playing for the Devils does not seem to mean much. There obviously something to play for the Devils for part of is career, but we have to watch out: Player make a franchise great, type of leaders that make playing the whole career at the same place a la Modano-Yzerman-Sakic-Lidstrom and hurt him for playing for a good team all that time.

Brodeur last 2 Vezina were not on a that special of a team. Martin-RAflaski-White-Madden, Claude Julien is not bad, but nothing special on Belfour Leafs, Stars or Hawks.

When he won in 2008, Devils D were

Martin
Mottau
White
Greene
Rachunek
Oduva

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
That one can become a bit philosophical, how much value there is for a franchise to have that high of a volume goaltender, making zero wave, on good contract, year after year, no need to draft, to spend asset on a solid number 2, etc...

Is part of Brodeur greatness (and winning so much and the Devils being seen as the Devils his whole career) is what he give a GM in franchise building, that become a bit in easy mode ?

Since Brodeur left, playing for the Devils does not seem to mean much. There obviously something to play for the Devils for part of is career, but we have to watch out: Player make a franchise great, type of leaders that make playing the whole career at the same place a la Modano-Yzerman-Sakic-Lidstrom and hurt him for playing for a good team all that time.

Brodeur last 2 Vezina were not on a that special of a team. Martin-RAflaski-White-Madden, Claude Julien is not bad, but nothing special on Belfour Leafs, Stars or Hawks.

When he won in 2008, Devils D were

Martin
Mottau
White
Greene
Rachunek
Oduva
I do think workload plays a big role in things tbf but either way they still have to sign/dress 2 goalies even if he plays every game. With the Devils' defensive structure at that time, I don't think it'd really matter what kind of goalie you signed as long as they were somewhat servicable. This also isn't to say Brodeur didn't deserve any of his Vezinas or have his flashes of brilliance, but I'm not convinced he was any better than Belfour peak-wise or longevity-wise.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Brodeur wasn't even a better goalie than Ed Belfour and the only reason he's not ranked below him is because he played for the Devils his whole career.
We pretty much saw Belfour play on what the Devils, in terms of what that shorthand generally means, with the Hitchcock Stars. Even Chicago was an elite defensive team in the early to mid 90s, so several of Belfour's seasons there. I wouldn't say he was clearly better, more up and down though. I don't know if many people would argue that they are very similar on their best day or in their best season, but Brodeur was a reliable, consistent goaltender just short of forever, even when the Devils around him changed significantly.

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
We pretty much saw Belfour play on what the Devils, in terms of what that shorthand generally means, with the Hitchcock Stars. Even Chicago was an elite defensive team in the early to mid 90s, so several of Belfour's seasons there. I wouldn't say he was clearly better, more up and down though. I don't know if many people would argue that they are very similar on their best day or in their best season, but Brodeur was a reliable, consistent goaltender just short of forever, even when the Devils around him changed significantly.
Yeah those Dallas and Chicago teams were pretty strong defensively to be fair (not quite as structurally dominant as New Jersey's, but close), even factoring that in tho, I'd take Belfour's peak years over Brodeur's (91 in particular). I think at worst, they were at least equals. Brodeur was a bit lukewarm during the late 90s and early 00s regular season wise (maybe a side effect of playing so many games) but their playoff resumes are pretty close (I'd still prefer Belfour as I think his numbers would look even better playing within New Jersey's defensive structure, something I think flourished especially during the post-season).

Brodeur's reliability/consistency is definitely a plus, but I think people attribute too much of his all time placement to his win totals instead of focusing on his individual play. Either way he's still an all-time great, but If we go off the latter, he's definitely a tier below the other big 5 guys.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
I do not think that Belfour at his best was at least Brodeur equal would be unpopular, Belfour at his best looked good against prime Roy, excellent against Brodeur in the lost, the guy won vezina against excellent competition after all.

Davenport

Dec 4, 2020
Toronto
John Ferguson picked his spots (and his battles).

Before Expansion, teams played each other 14 times. Anybody who wanted to get even with someone had plenty of opportunity to do so. On November 27, 1965, Gordie Howe injured J.C. Tremblay with a dirty hit in Montreal. The Canadiens faced off against the Wings many times the remainder of the 1965-66 season, and 14 times in 1966-67. John Ferguson never avenged the assault on his teammate. Neither did Ted Harris.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad