Uniforms of yesteryear

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The Bruins black sweater usage is tied to early TV history.

Starting in 1948 the old WNAC-TV in Boston televised Bruins games and black looked good on old B&W televisions.

WNAC-TV even aired Game 7 of the 1952 semifinal from Montreal and the Habs agreed to wear white. The game was also seen on WOR-TV in New York and WGN-TV in Chicago. TV would not come to Canada until later in 1952.

1693034824688.png

The Bruins wanted to eliminate the black sweater and transitioned to gold at home

1693036140198.png

The issue with the gold sweaters on televised games became a big problem in the B&W days.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
The Bruins black sweater usage is tied to early TV history.

Starting in 1948 the old WNAC-TV in Boston televised Bruins games and black looked good on old B&W televisions.

WNAC-TV even aired Game 7 of the 1952 semifinal from Montreal and the Habs agreed to wear white. The game was also seen on WOR-TV in New York and WGN-TV in Chicago. TV would not come to Canada until later in 1952.

View attachment 738882

The Bruins wanted to eliminate the black sweater and transitioned to gold at home

View attachment 738884

The issue with the gold sweaters on televised games became a big problem in the B&W days.

That gold jersey is boss. If they did a black jersey/gold jersey home/away combo like the Lakers do with purple and gold, I think they'd look amazing.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
We used to play Ice Hockey on NES on my cousin’s black and white TV.

Someone would have to be Sweden because the yellow uniforms weee the only ones that were distinguishable from any other team.

Reactions: rfournier103

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad