Underrated Hometown Heroes: Players Beloved by Their Own Fans but Overlooked by Fans of Other Teams

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
There are so many of these players for every NHL Team. Guys that maybe don’t have amazing stats or a high overall in NHL but are absolutely loved by local fans. Who are those guys for your team past or present?

For the Penguins, the first guy I think of is Pascal Dupuis. Obviously he played with Crosby, but his stat are absolutely unremarkable and people that are new fans might not realize how beloved he was as a player. I absolutely loved Dupuis and always tried to play like him. He was highly regarded in Pitt.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
On the Jackets(among current players), I would say Gudbranson. He honestly is worth every dollar of his contract when he's properly placed in the lineup. And then you throw the off-ice leadership he brings. He's more than worth it and gets a bad rep. It's pretty obvious he's a glue guy in the locker room after the Gaudreau incident and every team would love to have a guy like him in the room.

Stive Morgan

Fatso forgot to shake my hand
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
Probably Mike Matheson but the rest of the league seems to be warming up to him now after his 62 point season.

34 pts in 48 games in his first year with us was insane but barely got any mention IIRC. Especially when you consider how atrocious the Habs were that year, especially offensively. (mostly due to injuries) Suzuki was our ONLY player to record over 40 points.

Reactions: MichaelFarrell

tanti9

Dec 18, 2023
This thread screams Canuck legend Stan "Steamer" Smyl!! He was even GM for a day!! But, you had to admire the way he played!!

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Not sure I fully understand the “Hometown” usage here, but interesting topic. Pascal Dupuis was also loved in MN, in fact his son was just an invitee at their camp, though he didn’t show enough to move forward unfortunately.

Nick Schultz and Jason Zucker are two guys that stand out to me personally for former Wild guys. Both were strong pillars in our community and gave it their all. Zucker’s injuries and contract made him an easy target for derision. I think most guys who leave after signing UFA contracts run into this issue on a new team without their best years in front of them.

Reactions: MNRube

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Not sure I fully understand the “Hometown” usage here, but interesting topic. Pascal Dupuis was also loved in MN, in fact his son was just an invitee at their camp, though he didn’t show enough to move forward unfortunately.

Nick Schultz and Jason Zucker are two guys that stand out to me personally for former Wild guys. Both were strong pillars in our community and gave it their all. Zucker’s injuries and contract made him an easy target for derision. I think most guys who leave after signing UFA contracts run into this issue on a new team without their best years in front of them.
Hometown hero basically was meant to mean a player people, who are from the city of that NHL team, love. I can understand the confusion.

Avs2022

Jan 4, 2011
I thought the Podein-Yelle-Messier line on the Avs was an amazing solid 3rd line. I'm pretty sure I overrated them in my head as an Avs fan, but I thought most Avs fans appreciated that line

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Joe Sakic never played a game for the Canucks - and in fact, slaughtered them mercilessly throughout his career - but was fondly referred to in the Lower Mainland as “Burnaby Joe” and has a street in Burnaby named in his honour. So I’d consider him a “beloved hometown player” for the Lower Mainland.

EDIT: If we are going for “adopted sons” that became beloved by a fanbase - Vancouver has the obvious ones like Smyl, Linden, the Twins, Luongo - but Gary Lupul used to get huge cheers, and Alexandre Burrows is a huge favourite.

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
Regehr. When he could go half a season without getting a point he was easy to overlook for other teams. But for the Flames he was a stalwart defensive presence for a decade and had his opponents fearing his tunnel of death.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i don’t think anybody outside of vancouver acknowledges this, but alex burrows was the best defensive winger of his generation

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Not sure about current Blues but it would have to be Alex Steen in recent years. The ultimate pro who was respected by everyone on and off the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad