Confirmed with Link: Ullmark signs 4 years 8.25

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Bishop d'accord gus dreiger talbot murray.

All played way better after leaving or before arriving. We got zero really good years out of those guys. Other teams got quite a few.
Those are mostly young guys that weren't able to establish themselves though. Bishop was pretty good in Ottawa and was dealt more because of a log jam with Lehner/Andy. Gus looked up and down, as he has in Minny, just to a lesser extreme, but he wasn't good last year, and many were unhappy with the move to send him away. D'Accord barely played, only 9 games, and was trending up had the expansion draft not happened. Many thought he should have potentially been protected. Dreidger played 3 games in relief only. Looks more like a lack of patience from management or moved out of necessity.

Talbot is basically the exception imo, but he had a lot of injury issues that year too.

Murray sucked and is always injured, that hasn't changed since then. He was quite obviously damaged goods by the time he came to Ottawa and in hindsight was just a bad play to trade for and sign him.

We shouldn't have expected more from guys like Nilsson, Hammond, Forsberg and Korpisalo. Their careers prior told us what we needed to know.

I think it's fair to say things haven't worked out for goaltenders in Ottawa and that things probably should have gone a bit better than they did, but they weren't providing quality options as the much more glaring issue. Young unproven, or re-tread backups. Ullmark is the first one in a long time with the kind of pedigree we want, and isn't available because he's damaged goods like murray. I know I expected about what we got out of Korpisalo, god what a terrible signing that was.

Reactions: LiseL

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
What a deal by Steady Steve - Ullmark for a late 1st and Korpisalo, and we now have Ullmark under control for the next 5 years.

Everything analytically says this should be a good fit- Ullmark has great advanced stats for a goalie that propped the Bruins D up.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
This is great for this team on so many levels.

It will give confidence to the group in general that they have someone they can trust back there.

It will give younger guys like Soogard and Merrilainen a good role model to follow and substantially reduce the pressure on them knowing there is a legit starter on the team.

Ullmark is a good communicator on the ice and very straighforward, which will help his Dmen and forwards.

Sign of stability for the next 5 years.

4 year contract is perfect. Ullmark could've taken us to the cleaners if he really wanted to, but it turned out well.

Ullmark has pedigree. This means that even if somehow this doesn't work out, there will be a good market out there for him as opposed to a guy like Korpisalo who had a up and down career.

Awesome trade by Staios really. To turn Debrincat(Bos 1st) in Ullmark salvages some of the value lost by Dorion, or at least gives us a real difference maker for the price we paid. Also dumping Korpi. Key move to change the blueprint of the team and get the stink of Dorion out the door.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
The full Debrincat implication?

Doesn't look so bad in retrospect.

OUT:
Kevin Korchinski (#7)
Joonas Korpisalo (cap dump - 4 years @ $3M)
Paul Ludwinski (#39)
AJ Spellacy (#72)
Mark Kastelik

IN:
Javon Moore
Donovan Sebrango
Alex Debrincat (1 year)
Dominik Kubalik (1 Year)
Linus Ullmark (1 year @ 5M, 4 years @ $8.25M)

Listing who the Blackhawks selected with the draft picks we gave up in the DeBrincat deal isn't a smart way to judge a trade, as the Sens wouldn't have selected the same players.

For better or for worse, I'm pretty confident Kasper was our guy with the #7 pick, and we weren't taking Ludwinski 39th. I mean for god's sake he's only 5'11.

The DeBrincat trade was a complete disaster but the Ullmark trade was robbery. Don't need to break it down much more than that.

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
What?? Made my day!

I enter the Senators boards many times a day, every once in awhile have a “wait what?? Holy shit!”. This is one of those times.
I was checking out Coming In Hot on youtube before visiting the board. Ended up catching the news conference with the news. I too was like, what? OMG, we have a true # 1 for the next 5 years. GSG

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
We have a 4 year window - anything less than a Stanley Cup is a failure. I said it

(My expectation in a year went from hoping our old G.M. Had clean clothes on to winning a Cup by 2028. )
Well 5 years actually if you're referring to goaltending. He still has 1 year on the current contract. New contract starts next season. He's now signed as a major piece of the core who are mostly all signed to long-term deals.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Well 5 years actually if you're referring to goaltending. He still has 1 year on the current contract. New contract starts next season. He's now signed as a major piece of the core who are mostly all signed to long-term deals.

Tkachuk has 4 years left.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Just one stupid argument in exchange for another, that's all.
Ok, let me make it clear for you because I am too stupid for you to understand.

Daccord has a 1yr track record. Ullmarks is more than 5 yrs, all playing at or above the level that Daccord reached . Goalies are notoriously inconsistent, and Ullmark has proven to be one of the more consistent goalies in the league. That is why - to answer your brilliant question - he is paid that much more.

Isnt it interesting that everyone is so stupid but you? Must be frustrating hand-holding us dummies all day.

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
Hows our cap situation looking with this
Doesn't affect it this year, he still has one year left on his $5M contract. The cap is predicted to go up by $4M next year + Forsberg is in the last year of his contract. He will probably be replaced with a cheaper option or take less to stay here if his play starts improving this year.

The only other contracts for next year with this roster are G, Cousins, Gregor. If G stays, it's possible he gets less than $6.5M going forward. I think it depends on what type of year he has, but I don't think he'll get more.

Pinto only needs a new contract in 2 years. I think they'll be in good shape cap wise going forward. Nice to have an owner willing to spend to the cap.

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
That's cold, hard fear you're seeing there.

But he hasn't even played a game yet!

His numbers aside from Boston are not really a starter's workload!

Ok, thanks for the opinions. We now have a vezina winning, real goaltender for the first time in years. Go away
Are they saying the same thing about Swayman? He didn't have a starter's workload either and Ullmark was in net for most of the tougher teams, Swayman got the other teams. With Korpi playing as badly as he is, it'll be up to Swayman to carry the load. Ullmark's already done it. Barring injury, I'm not worried.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Ok, let me make it clear for you because I am too stupid for you to understand.

Daccord has a 1yr track record. Ullmarks is more than 5 yrs, all playing at or above the level that Daccord reached . Goalies are notoriously inconsistent, and Ullmark has proven to be one of the more consistent goalies in the league.

Isnt it interesting that everyone is so stupid but you? Must be frustrating hand-holding us dummies all day.
5 years in a row of Ullmark meeting or exceeding D'accord's save %. Basically 7 years and a cup of coffee vs. 1 year and a cup of coffee.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Are they saying the same thing about Swayman? He didn't have a starter's workload either and Ullmark was in net for most of the tougher teams, Swayman got the other teams. With Korpi playing as badly as he is, it'll be up to Swayman to carry the load. Ullmark's already done it. Barring injury, I'm not worried.
That's a good question, I didn't go into that thread, but yeah, it's true, it's not like swayman has a huge body of work either.

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
What's nice is that this ultimately makes up for trading the 2022 1st rounder.
It's now official, we definitely won that trade big time.
That doesn't make any sense. Ullmark has a solid, proven track record. Why would we need to see him play here first before signing him?

If anything his numbers indicate he gets better the more games he plays like he did when he played 50 games and won the Vezina, so I don't see what people are worried about at all.
He also had good numbers in Buffalo when they were the worst team in the league. I too am not worried. The only thing that could derail him is injury, but that's true of any player.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Daccord is younger, played 50 games (versus 40 for Ullmark) and put up 2.46gaa and .916sv% compared to Ullmark's 2.55gaa and .915sv%. We're paying for a longer track record but there's no way if you removed the names that you'd suggest the second stat line is worth $3.25M more per season.
You're always good for a laugh.

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
Still can't believe this guy signed right before our home opener.

Don't pinch me - I don't want to wake up

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
It wouldn't surprise me if this deal has been done for a little bit, but they wanted to wait to announce it until right before the home opener.

Swayman may have also played a part.

The point is, I think both sides probably talked and knew the general parameters of what was important to each side.

Anderson had at least one Vezina tier season, but I get what you're saying.

I think Anderson has gotten more appreciation over the last few years compared to when he was here, because the last 6 or so seasons have been a crash course in how difficult it can be to get a goalie here. Ullmark should hopefully be the solution to that.
According to SS/Ullmark press conference, SS said he had been keeping in contact with Ullmark's agent since the trade, but it heated up this week. He wanted to give Linus time to acquaint himself with the team, the facilities and the city. SS was asked if Swayman's signing was a factor, he replied it was a comparable so I don't think this deal had been in place for awhile. But what do I know? lol

Loach

Jun 9, 2021

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Daccord is younger, played 50 games (versus 40 for Ullmark) and put up 2.46gaa and .916sv% compared to Ullmark's 2.55gaa and .915sv%. We're paying for a longer track record but there's no way if you removed the names that you'd suggest the second stat line is worth $3.25M more per season.
Take a look at the entire body of work. 8.25 would have been awful for 6-8 years but 4 years is ideal.

I like Soogard but im not a believer in him long term. We should have gone after Bussi from Boston who was on waivers a few days ago.
He’s unproven. Wouldn’t want to trust him for 27 games.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Take a look at the entire body of work. 8.25 would have been awful for 6-8 years but 4 years is ideal.
Don't do it. Dude is tuned into 96.5 Gatineau to get his Dorion fix.

I am too, but only for a laugh.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
They added a family area for the players. I thought that was a given. What went on here before?
Andlauer talked a fair bit in an interview this summer about how lacking many of the facilities were and that they'd done heavy renos this summer to rectify it. He talked mostly about the training and medical facilities iirc, but he really made it sound like a bit of a dumpster fire previously.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Andlauer talked a fair bit in an interview this summer about how lacking many of the facilities were and that they'd done heavy renos this summer to rectify it. He talked mostly about the training and medical facilities iirc, but he really made it sound like a bit of a dumpster fire previously.
I listened to those. He wanted to start last year, but was told the renos would upend the season and to wait. It's still unfckn real how getto this team was run. Little bits keep coming out.

Reactions: senswon

Inf4mous0ne

Jan 28, 2010
I made some sens fan hype videos a while ago that blew up and I got invited to tour around a lot of the Sens facilities. Was pretty surprised how terrible some of them were (compared to what you would think). Glad to hear it is being addressed!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad