Confirmed with Link: Ullmark signs 4 years 8.25

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Wait, what? D'accord got a 5x5 deal? Wow, good for him.

He was Seattle's MVP last year and is a pending UFA.

5M is near the lower end of legitimate starter money. It's a risky contract, but if he has another season like last year, he is going to ask for a lot more. He just has to be a reliable below average starter to be worth that. If he is anything close to what he has shown, it will be a huge steal.

He is 29 when the contract starts. So he is a seasoned pro. It's just taken him longer to get there.

Reactions: DylanSensFan

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Will soogard get some time learning from ullmark?
Or will we bounce him like daccord and gustaffson?

Like to see him do less scrambling// being out of position and work on his glove
I like Soogard but im not a believer in him long term. We should have gone after Bussi from Boston who was on waivers a few days ago.

Reactions: senswon

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Oh I'm not saying it was the wrong move. But what was obvious is that Ullmark had lost the net to Swayman by the end of the year/playoffs and they went with him. Ullmark became expendable. I absolutely agree with you that it most likely is due to age that this was done. I fully agree with that. I just tend to be a bit more cautious when someone loses the net in a battle. It's probably nothing major in terms of the type of work Ullmark will and can provide to Ottawa in the nets, but it makes me curious they gave him the same value as Swayman.

Again, it's probably a combo of signing in Ottawa due to the taxation system and it not being a preferred market so they had to high ball it to Swayman's level. Even if age wise, we could potentially see a bit of a decline as this contract gets older. (I doubt it but funnier things have happened.)

It's entirely possible, yes! Anyone of the Canadian teams that need a goalie would have been able to give that kind of contract, and most likely the US too. It was more of a curious notion that a) the player lost the net to another player, probably due to his age but Swayman was considered the better player at that time but b) was given the same AAV.

Let me clarify: I get and understand why they got to that value. And it's not a bad value at all for a vezina winner. I'm just saying that my first reaction was: "Oof. That's high."

But that's the way that premiere goalies go I suppose. We'll be having to accept that. Wait till Shersterkin signs his contract which will look much bigger than this one.

It's mostly just me being paranoid of giving that much money to a goaltender. I'm sure i'm just being overly pessimistic and i 100% agree it's on me.
Very hard to fault you for the concern given the carousel of mid goalies we've had and extended prematurely! I've got a good feeling about this one — partially due to pedigree, and partially due to my faith in our ability to identify talent relative to the Melnyk/Dorion years.

But I can appreciate the cautious optimism and cap concerns. Totally valid. Up to Ullmark now to prove he'll live up to the contract.

Reactions: SlyDawg

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
This is a damn good deal.

Figured it would taken 7x7 or something like that to convince Ullmark to stay.

The 4 year term is the best part. I'll gladly pay an extra 1M or so a year to have the contract end in his mid-30s instead of late-30s.

Fantastic job by Staios.

According to Puckpedia, he has a NMC for each year of the contract.

So I assume the logic of the deal was that he got maybe 1M more per season and complete control to go shorter term.

The only thing he did not get seems to be signing bonuses. So they could technically buy him out. It wouldn't shock me if it is later confirmed that the contract has a small amount of signing bonuses per season.

I also like going shorter term better. While I think it is possible that he could age well into a 7 year deal, it wouldn't be worth the risk to get a slight discount on the AAV.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
This is a damn good deal.

Figured it would taken 7x7 or something like that to convince Ullmark to stay.

The 4 year term is the best part. I'll gladly pay an extra 1M or so a year to have the contract end in his mid-30s instead of late-30s.

Fantastic job by Staios.
I think most of thought it would take at least 42 million spread out however he wanted really, so this is a nice bargain IMO.

EDIT: I also think he's one of the true captains on the team with Brady and Giroux. They'll all have a loud say on things.

senswon

Quo Tendimus
Aug 1, 2007
Kingstone
I like Soogard but im not a believer in him long term. We should have gone after Bussi from Boston who was on waivers a few days ago.
I agree on Bussi...still unsure on what soogard could be feel like him spending time with a vezina guy that has the teachings of the bobfather could be useful.

Cant see us sticking with forsberg after his new legs and still a habit of letting in goals in the first/ final 2 min of every period.

So relieved we have ullmark after the last couple years

Reactions: SensFactor

SlyDawg

Feb 12, 2015
Carleton Place, ON
Very hard to fault you for the concern given the carousel of mid goalies we've had and extended prematurely! I've got a good feeling about this one — partially due to pedigree, and partially due to my faith in our ability to identify talent relative to the Melnyk/Dorion years.

But I can appreciate the cautious optimism and cap concerns. Totally valid. Up to Ullmark now to prove he'll live up to the contract.
I think that's a huge situation:

The Melnyk/Dorion years really soured a lot of Sens fans on them being able to deliver anything. So much that most Sens fans are on the fence about 'anything' the team does. They lost a lot of clout in terms of knowing what they were doing during those years.

Look, not for me to slag on someone who passed away but it was time for the old owner to step away and move on from it when it was clear financially he didn't want to invest much in the team 'and' his health was declining. His stubborness to stay in the business (which I get, you only have 32 owners that are in the NHL. It's a title that anyone would love) hurt the standing with fans and people who cover the team.

I just take a rather cautious approach. I would have waited a bit on this myself, if i decide right now to "armchair gm" this. Give him 10 games. See how it does. 10 games would not have flux'ed the price that much even if he got 3 shutouts in it. It would have just solidified a bit of the idea that this is definitely the way to go. We have two games in preseason in a new Sens system that's being established. I'm cautious about this. Yes, previous seasons accounting, there's nothing flagrant that would say he's gonna be a bad goalie for Ottawa.

But it's so fast to give that much money.

But again, comes back to me saying; i completely understand the why they did this.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
im not too worried about the cap

just on a quick glance
we spend about 40.5 million on 8 forwards (important extension is greig)

we spend 24.7 million on 4 dmen (important extension is kleven but get the added benefit of yak on elc)

8.25 on ullmark with no backup

indicates we have spent 73.45 in cap. With an estimate of the salary cap being 90 million it gives us 16.5 million to sign at minimum 4 forwards, 2 dmen and a goalie. Yak and ostapchuk making the team would give us about 14.5 to sign 3 forwards, a dman and a goalie. Very doable imo

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Autumn of Staios is happening (feels weird to say Fall of Staios).

I thought we'd have to pay up for 8 years, but this deal is dope! It's one think to give out a high aav for someone who was on the decline like Murray, but Ullmark has the stats to show this is a very safe signing.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I think that's a huge situation:

The Melnyk/Dorion years really soured a lot of Sens fans on them being able to deliver anything. So much that most Sens fans are on the fence about 'anything' the team does. They lost a lot of clout in terms of knowing what they were doing during those years.

Look, not for me to slag on someone who passed away but it was time for the old owner to step away and move on from it when it was clear financially he didn't want to invest much in the team 'and' his health was declining. His stubborness to stay in the business (which I get, you only have 32 owners that are in the NHL. It's a title that anyone would love) hurt the standing with fans and people who cover the team.

I just take a rather cautious approach. I would have waited a bit on this myself, if i decide right now to "armchair gm" this. Give him 10 games. See how it does. 10 games would not have flux'ed the price that much even if he got 3 shutouts in it. It would have just solidified a bit of the idea that this is definitely the way to go. We have two games in preseason in a new Sens system that's being established. I'm cautious about this. Yes, previous seasons accounting, there's nothing flagrant that would say he's gonna be a bad goalie for Ottawa.

But it's so fast to give that much money.

But again, comes back to me saying; i completely understand the why they did this.
Ullmark at least has the track record statistically, on 2 different teams, to mostly justify this deal, even if the workload was low. This isn't like signing Korpisalo off some ridiculous outlier UFA season despite a long track record of performing poorly and being outperformed by his tandem partner behind the same teams. This is a calculated bet based on reality this time.

Reactions: DylanSensFan

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
We were able to unload Murray and Korpi for pretty cheap. We could do the same if Ullmark also shits the bed. But he won't.

Mark Stones Spleen

Trouba's elbow
Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
Linus%20Ullmark%20Jeremy%20Swayman%20041123.jpg

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
I wonder what Dorion will say about this on his new platform? Will insecurities and defensiveness shine through? Hopefully he just leaves the Ottawa experience be, but I doubt it.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Freaking Awesome News! I love it. Although.... he hasn't even played one real game for us yet. I kinda liked the idea of seeing what he's got for half the season and then signing him. But I'll take this. We have a legit number one for the foreseeable future. Fantastic.

Staios quickly one of the top up and coming GMs in the league.
He has better numbers than Swayman, and for a longer period of time. Swayman got paid this amount. Therefore, we got market value for Ullmark.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad