Confirmed with Link: Ullmark signs 4 years 8.25

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
As much as goalies scare me because of PTSensD, I understand locking him down now.

It's cost certainty. If we give him 20 games, we don't know how the market will shift, or how his intentions might change.

I get people on the main board being skeptical of the AAV, but there is a difference between saying he got paid higher than market value, and saying this contract will be the catalyst for the Sens relocating to Houston.

Sens don't get free agents for market value, unless it's an isolated situation like Giroux wanting to play in his hometown.

Reactions: bicboi64

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
It's a great contract imo, but the best part is the fact that we got our #1 goalie signed long term. The money is secondary to knowing you'll get quality goaltending for the next five years.

Way to go Stevie. Way to go.

Reactions: BigRig4

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Interesting to have his contract expire before Tkachuk, Stutzle and Sanderson. Thought they would have wanted him locked up through the same time period as the team's true core. But, hey, they got him locked in and that's all that matters now.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
It's a fair criticism that signing a goalie to this like of contract before playing a single regular season game is risky.

With that said, I think part of it is that the AAV does seem high on paper to someone a bit behind on the times. There are multiple reasons for that, from the timing of the signing (Swayman just reset the market, the cap is going up), to the infamous Sens tax that has been mentioned by people like Friedman, where we simply have to pay more.

I think 9/10 Sens fans are thrilled with this. We haven't had a legitimate goalie in almost a decade, sans that one season where Forsberg was lights out. I think there would have been a lot of anxiety about him playing well and then leaving, which is now gone.

That doesn't make any sense. Ullmark has a solid, proven track record. Why would we need to see him play here first before signing him?

If anything his numbers indicate he gets better the more games he plays like he did when he played 50 games and won the Vezina, so I don't see what people are worried about at all.

SlyDawg

Feb 12, 2015
Carleton Place, ON
Saw the news real quick and my initial thought was:

- That's high.
- But he's a Vezina and the team got him for a term friendly 4 years

So I'm kinda on the fence on this on the basis of this:

I get him having won the Vezina. I also get that he was signing in a place where it would be a premium to sign. I accept that.

But the nagging feeling that he did 'lose' the competition to Swayman for the net last year, combined with them accepting to trade him to Ottawa and take on Korpisalo, just throws a lot of danger flags to me.

Ottawa needed to do this. I fully agree. But ho boy, that's hefty. I'm hoping this works out for the club cause this club's been bitten by bad goaltending since Anderson and it'd be nice for the club to have that issue be in the backseat. So far, in the small window we did see, he's solid.

But I'm in the 'cautiously optimistic' window.

Also, to whoever said that if you include this year it's more like 7.6x5 year: that's not how the contract works at all. Yes, you can average it, but his hit will be 8.25 when that contract goes. And the AAV is way more important than salary being pushed out. Cap space in a cap world is way more important than the money that gets pushed out.

Also noting that this has a full no move clause to boot for the entirety of the contract so Ottawa is saddled to this wagon at least past July 1st of next year. I'm hoping for the club this 'really' works out.

Again, the most I can go with in terms of how I feel about this is "Cautiously optimistic" but I've seen this club get burnt on goalies in the past so there is always going to be that nagging annoyance.

Eternally realistic/borderline pessimistic, I am. lol

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
That doesn't make any sense. Ullmark has a solid, proven track record. Why would we need to see him play here first before signing him?

If anything his numbers indicate he gets better the more games he plays like he did when he played 50 games and won the Vezina, so I don't see what people are worried about at all.

Both things can be true, that he has a tremendous track record but it also would be more ideal to see how he plays in the system during the regular season before signing him to a large AAV with a NMC.

With that said, a lot of people view real life NHL like a video game. The reality is that Ullmark is a top 5-10 goalie in the league based on his recent performance. The Senators are not a top destination. It's all well and good to paint and ideal scenario where they test drive him until January, but there is no guarantee that he still signs here. There is risk both ways. So I'm not trying to spin it like oh they could have waited. I'm just recognizing that it is a fair criticism.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
But the nagging feeling that he did 'lose' the competition to Swayman for the net last year, combined with them accepting to trade him to Ottawa and take on Korpisalo, just throws a lot of danger flags to me.
I'm not sure it's quite as cut-and-dry as this. My understanding is that Boston chose to move forward with Swayman because he's younger and playing at a high level, as opposed to Ullmark who's older and playing at a high level. I never saw it as a negative against Ullmark, personally, and I think the messaging coming out of Boston since Ullmark was moved kind of corroborates that view.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal

- That's high.

I get him having won the Vezina. I also get that he was signing in a place where it would be a premium to sign. I accept that.

Ottawa needed to do this. I fully agree. But ho boy, that's hefty. I'm hoping this works out for the club cause this club's been bitten by bad goaltending since Anderson and it'd be nice for the club to have that issue be in the backseat. So far, in the small window we did see, he's solid.

Also, to whoever said that if you include this year it's more like 7.6x5 year: that's not how the contract works at all. Yes, you can average it, but his hit will be 8.25 when that contract goes. And the AAV is way more important than salary being pushed out. Cap space in a cap world is way more important than the money that gets pushed out.

Also noting that this has a full no move clause to boot for the entirety of the contract so Ottawa is saddled to this wagon at least past July 1st of next year. I'm hoping for the club this 'really' works out.

Again, the most I can go with in terms of how I feel about this is "Cautiously optimistic" but I've seen this club get burnt on goalies in the past so there is always going to be that nagging annoyance.

Ullmark would have gotten this exact money anywhere at this moment in time unless a team was willing to offer him like a 6-8 year term which is much riskier for a 32 year old than whatever money you hand out to him for 4.

Reactions: DrEasy

Inf4mous0ne

Jan 28, 2010

- That's high.

It's fine to not want to be too optimistic, but if your pessimism comes from suspecting Boston knows better/has a plan, you might have missed the last few weeks (including last night's game :P ).

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
In the world where former Sen Joey D'accord gets 5 x $5M, $8.25M for Ullmark seems reasonable.
Daccord is younger, played 50 games (versus 40 for Ullmark) and put up 2.46gaa and .916sv% compared to Ullmark's 2.55gaa and .915sv%. We're paying for a longer track record but there's no way if you removed the names that you'd suggest the second stat line is worth $3.25M more per season.

Masterplan

May 9, 2022
Daccord is younger, played 50 games (versus 40 for Ullmark) and put up 2.46gaa and .916sv% compared to Ullmark's 2.55gaa and .915sv%. We're paying for a longer track record but there's no way if you removed the names that you'd suggest the second stat line is worth $3.25M more per season.
If you shine the light at just the right angle....lol.

SlyDawg

Feb 12, 2015
Carleton Place, ON
I'm not sure it's quite as cut-and-dry as this. My understanding is that Boston chose to move forward with Swayman because he's younger and playing at a high level, as opposed to Ullmark who's older and playing at a high level. I never saw it as a negative against Ullmark, personally, and I think the messaging coming out of Boston since Ullmark was moved kind of corroborates that view.

Oh I'm not saying it was the wrong move. But what was obvious is that Ullmark had lost the net to Swayman by the end of the year/playoffs and they went with him. Ullmark became expendable. I absolutely agree with you that it most likely is due to age that this was done. I fully agree with that. I just tend to be a bit more cautious when someone loses the net in a battle. It's probably nothing major in terms of the type of work Ullmark will and can provide to Ottawa in the nets, but it makes me curious they gave him the same value as Swayman.

Again, it's probably a combo of signing in Ottawa due to the taxation system and it not being a preferred market so they had to high ball it to Swayman's level. Even if age wise, we could potentially see a bit of a decline as this contract gets older. (I doubt it but funnier things have happened.)

Ullmark would have gotten this exact money anywhere at this moment in time unless a team was willing to offer him like a 6-8 year term which is much riskier for a 32 year old than whatever money you hand out to him for 4.

It's entirely possible, yes! Anyone of the Canadian teams that need a goalie would have been able to give that kind of contract, and most likely the US too. It was more of a curious notion that a) the player lost the net to another player, probably due to his age but Swayman was considered the better player at that time but b) was given the same AAV.

Let me clarify: I get and understand why they got to that value. And it's not a bad value at all for a vezina winner. I'm just saying that my first reaction was: "Oof. That's high."

But that's the way that premiere goalies go I suppose. We'll be having to accept that. Wait till Shersterkin signs his contract which will look much bigger than this one.

It's mostly just me being paranoid of giving that much money to a goaltender. I'm sure i'm just being overly pessimistic and i 100% agree it's on me.

SlyDawg

Feb 12, 2015
Carleton Place, ON
It's fine to not want to be too optimistic, but if your pessimism comes from suspecting Boston knows better/has a plan, you might have missed the last few weeks (including last night's game :P ).
LOL not at all. 6 on Korpi was one of those "yeah we've seen this story before"

It's less Boston knowing something and more Ottawa providing an AAV to someone who Boston decided was a) expendable and b) the worse of the two goalies they had so they gave the net to Swayman.

Again, cooooompletely on me. lol

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Daccord carried Seattle last year, and they would have made the playoffs had he not gotten hurt. It's a risky contract, but he had a Vezina tier season. He also has a long pro resume. He didn't come out of nowhere. It's still a very risky deal, but they are likely looking at it like if he has another season like last one, he is going to ask for Linus Ullmark money as a UFA.

People don't seem to respect or understand the goalie market. If a forward who had been pegging away had a season where they were on pace for 40-50 goals, and signed for 2nd line money, people would say it's a good gamble. That's the equivalent to what Daccord did aa a goalie last year.

As far as Ullmark goes, this contract puts him in the 6-10 type wheelhouse for top paid goalies next year after Shestetkin gets paid. You can break it down however you want, but that seems appropriate. Yes, in a perfect world, maybe he comes in at 7.XX instead of 8.XX, but that's the Senators tax. They gave him more money and a NMC to get the term down, I assume. Add in the Senators tax and it makes complete sense.

There is a difference between acknowledging some risk of a contract and straight up being wrong about where the contract fits in market wise. Some people on the main board are discussing it like they have Ullmark 10M-11M. All it takes is to load up Puckpedia and look at the goalie cap hits ranked and it's pretty obvious where the market is, and where it is going.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I think people are cautious because we've been burned so much in the past.

That being said Ullmark has been a starter on good teams, on bad teams and we haven't seen something like we saw with Korpisalo last year.

If we get some level of stability like we did with Craig Anderson it will all be worth it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad