GDT: UFC on ABC: Vettori vs. Holland

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
I don't think 185 is the problem for Holland, I just think he has to work on some things. He clearly has some skills on his back but I don't think he's optimizing them, and much to DC's point, the main objective for him has got to be to not get put on his back to begin with.

He gave two of the top guys in the division some problems in their brief standup exchanges, I think that's a positive that shouldn't be overlooked.

I don't mean to beat a dead horse but I lean more toward this being a tremendous opportunity for him than him "saving a card", but to each his own.

I know Holland doesn't have world class TDD but I've really been impressed with Vettori's evolution. There is marked improvement in each fight. The gas tank held up pretty well given it was 25 minutes and he's never pushed the grappling to this extent in a fight before. That's a different type of tiring. Realistically he should be able to finish that triangle choke there, but other than that he produced a very dominant performance in a virtual no-win situation for him.

As for what's next, unless Whittaker wins impressively and wants a relatively quick turnaround I'd like to see him get the Adesanya rematch. It's the most sellable fight IMO. I know Whittaker's the bigger name, but Vettori fared MUCH better in their prior encounters. That matters IMO.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
This was one of the few fights where I disagreed with most of what Dan Hardy presented in his War Room segment before the fight. He gave way too much credit to the "Kevin Holland has a BJJ black belt" talk and severely underrated Vettori's ability to do exactly the same thing Brunson did. This fight was probably one of the most easily predictable fights in recent memory.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Holland, sure doesn't look like a ju jitsu black belt but I think more of the problem is him being undersized and a lack of strength in this division. He clearly has almost no idea how to defend the takedown but did some find some crafty ways to his feet.

I think it's strength more than technique. Holland reminds me a lot of another guy who went on a streak a couple years ago, Curtis Millender. Both guys do a great job of using their length to their advantage on the feet, but once a decent wrestler grabs ahold of them those long limbs work against them and can't do much. Then they're on their back vs a much stronger guy and there's not much they can do. These kind of guys are always fun to watch but their upside is always capped at the top of the division.

Millender actually fights Rory MacDonald in the PFL in a couple weeks and I expect that fight to go very similar to the Vettori/Holland one.. unless Rory is just completely done.

Last edited:
Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I think it's strength more than technique. Holland reminds me a lot of another guy who went on a streak a couple years ago, Curtis Millender. Both guys do a great job of using their length to their advantage on the feet, but once a decent wrestler grabs ahold of them those long limbs work against them and can't do much. Then they're on their back vs a much stronger guy and there's not much they can do. These kind of guys are always fun to watch but their upside is always capped at the top of the division.

Millender actually fights Rory MacDonald in the PFL in a couple weeks and I expect that fight to go very similar to the Vettori/Holland one.. unless Rory is just completely done.

millender has a win over Holland, interestingly enough

I imagine the fight was like the Spider-Man pointing at Spider-Man man meme

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
millender has a win over Holland, interestingly enough

I imagine the fight was like the Spider-Man pointing at Spider-Man man meme

That's funny, I didn't even know that.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
That's funny, I didn't even know that.

yeah with MMA math i can make an argument that Tim Means is better than Geoff Neal, partially because of that fight

Neal —> Holland —> Millender —> Homasi —> Means

DIRTY BIRD. Give him wonderboy!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad