GDT: UFC Fight Night: Hendricks vs. Thompson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Rory Macdonald's window to win that belt is now over because Wonderboy is simply going to dominate that division

Eh I don't know about dominating. Lets see how he does when someone takes him to the floor. Also Hendricks just stood there, no head or lateral movements what so ever.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
They could go in a few different directions with the title fight at WW. I don't think there would really be a wrong choice either.

It could be Woodley because he's the only one at the top who either hasn't lost or doesn't have a fight scheduled but I'm still not sure if I like his chances of getting it. He has been sitting for over a year while others have been picking up big wins. Not entirely his fault because he was supposed to fight Hendricks before the weight cutting issue but he might need another win to make his case. If they go based on what will sell and what most people probably want to see, I think Woodley would be behind a few guys.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
I'm not even sure why Woodley is in the discussions. Aside from the Condit injury win, he hasn't had a really remarkable win over the elite of the division. Been outclassed by Rory, got decisioned by Shields.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Easier said than done obviously, but I can't believe Hendricks didn't close the distance and push for the takedown more when he was very clearly getting absolutely lit up standing.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
The thing is that everytime Hendricks tried to close the distance, Wonderboy sidestepped and made Hendricks pay for his effort with some sharp counters.

In hindsight, Hendricks doesn't actually possess any kind of consistent pressure game. He simply fights at whatever position is offered to him. Unfortunately, that fight stayed into the one position he was useless in: The outside

Last edited:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I'm shocked the UFC gave Punk a prospect like Gall. I don't think Gall is a great prospect or anything, but he's a good BJJ practitioner, a brown belt. You'd think the UFC would bring someone more beatable with Cm Punk's hobby-ist BJJ background

Exactly. Weird way to start him off. I think he's going to be a flash in the pan anyways. so maybe this is Dana trying to put a quick end to this experiment.

member 51464

I wonder if Dana is a bit annoyed it has taken this long to get Punk in for a fight? There is less hype and maybe less chance of a big cross-over buy of PPVs, so he just wants Punk to lose so all parties can move on?

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I wonder if Dana is a bit annoyed it has taken this long to get Punk in for a fight? There is less hype and maybe less chance of a big cross-over buy of PPVs, so he just wants Punk to lose so all parties can move on?

That's what I've been thinking as well. From the surface, it seems he was frustrated with how long it's taken for Punk to decide he's "ready" to give it a go. And then getting nicked up in training and having to reschedule certainly didn't help. If I had to guess, they're throwing him to the wolves to see what he's got. If he comes in and wins, great, things are back on track. If he loses, great, now he can move on and focus on real contenders. Either way, it's a win win for White.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Easier said than done obviously, but I can't believe Hendricks didn't close the distance and push for the takedown more when he was very clearly getting absolutely lit up standing.

The blueprint of striking vs wrestling was set with the Holms-Rousey match imo. Thompson used the same very wide, long rangy kicks stance and a hell of a lot if foot work to create some distance.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Hendricks is a southpaw. Once you circle outside of that lead foot, you're clear. With Hendricks, because he comes in on a straight line, it's a lot easier.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
The blueprint of striking vs wrestling was set with the Holms-Rousey match imo. Thompson used the same very wide, long rangy kicks stance and a hell of a lot if foot work to create some distance.

Thompson did it to a much more skilled, well-rounded, durable fighter in a much more easier fashion. Wonderboy might just be the guy you look at when we're talking about the next step in the evolution of outfighting in MMA, a sport dominated by pressure fighters and boxer-punchers for a while lately. We're now seeing a trend back to outfighting. Fascinating stuff

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Perhaps, but Rousey is NOWHERE near the wrestler Hendricks is.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Off topic, but I'd love to see Rousey face the likes of Mackenzie Dern, Michelle Nicolini, Krya Gracie or Beatriz Mesquita in a grappling match. Luckily for Rousey, she's too expensive for Metamoris or Polaris to sign.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Oh no, she's only an Olympic judo wrestler, very mediocre indeed, especially for the average women MMA fighter.
The way she takes people down is completely different than Hendricks though. Hendricks' wrestling enables him to close distance and shoot. Ronda's judo isn't predicated on that sort of explosive movement. That's why we saw her just chasing Holm, and looking ridiculous in the process. Ronda's Olympic judo comes into effect once she has her hands on her opponent, so keeping distance is theoretically much easier against her than someone who can shoot for a takedown.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
The way she takes people down is completely different than Hendricks though. Hendricks' wrestling enables him to close distance and shoot. Ronda's judo isn't predicated on that sort of explosive movement. That's why we saw her just chasing Holm, and looking ridiculous in the process. Ronda's Olympic judo comes into effect once she has her hands on her opponent, so keeping distance is theoretically much easier against her than someone who can shoot for a takedown.

Yeah, I don't really see too many female fighters shooting in for a single or double leg at all. Who do you guys is the best at shooting in for a double or single (male and female)?

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Yeah, I don't really see too many female fighters shooting in for a single or double leg at all. Who do you guys is the best at shooting in for a double or single (male and female)?

It's just a by-product of a lack of collegiate female wrestlers and you don't see a lot of good athletes, especially at 135 and above.

Female: i can't argue against the mma wrestling of Claudia Gadelha (also arguably the best all-around female fighter in term of overall skills: + striker, + wrestler, + ground game, + athlete)

Male: Khabib has to be the most terrifying wrestler in MMA. he has plenty of variety where he can take anyone down and he does it with intense pressure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad