GDT: UFC 308: Topuria vs. Holloway

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Damn Max looks devastated
The one thing he always had was that even if he lost he never went out. That chin was legendary, and although Ilia has god given power it's also a sign that Max's chin is finally cracked. It's also probably the last time he will ever fight in a FW title fight barring a last minute replacement or some extenuating circumstances. I'm so sad.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Have to give him credit for doing everything he said he would do, from inviting Max to the center to start the fight to being the first to KO him. I thought Holloway was looking pretty good, the fight was close, and honestly I thought it was trending pretty well for Max before the finishing sequence. Just 2 elite fighters going at it.

I really like Topuria's class shown post-fight and then the respectful interaction with Volk in the cage. Good for him, fun fight, deserving champion.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Have to give him credit for doing everything he said he would do, from inviting Max to the center to start the fight to being the first to KO him. I thought Holloway was looking pretty good, the fight was close, and honestly I thought it was trending pretty well for Max before the finishing sequence. Just 2 elite fighters going at it.

I really like Topuria's class shown post-fight and then the respectful interaction with Volk in the cage. Good for him, fun fight, deserving champion.
He has that prime McGregor quality where he's got supreme confidence and can back it up. Except, he's also potentially better and definitely more well rounded than Conor ever was.

Reactions: Mickey Marner
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site

That was kind of the same in his fight with Volk, I felt like Volk was doing really well, but Topuria just needs one opening and the fight is done

Reactions: I am not exposed

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Seen a lot of this lately and I can't say I understand why, he's very exciting to watch and backs up everything he says
I think his trash talk was a bit cringe and try hard, but at the same time English is like his third or fourth language and I think he's just trying to market himself more as many casuals didn't know of him prior to the Volk KO. Also doesn't help that he devastatingly KOd both fan favourites lol.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Next fight for Max should be a rematch vs McGregor for the BMF. Like it or not, it'll sell PPVs which is what the UFC wants out of Connor.

Next for Ilia should be Lopez.

Volk should fight Evloev for the #1 contender spot, but Evloev is already booked against Sterling. I don't really see another fight (outside a title fight vs Ilia) that makes much sense for Volk tbh. Maybe Murphy, but I think he needs to beat guy like Kattar or Ortega before they feed him to someone like Volk.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
At worst, Topuria is the 5th greatest featherweight of all-time, his upward trajectory is insane. He’s already defended the belt more times than McGregor did. Idk how you deal with this guy, he seems unbeatable.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
1729977818630.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: Taytro

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
That card lived up to all the hype.

Topuria is going to be an absolute star if he isn't one already. That power is just different and was exactly what I was afraid of for Max. Max actually looked good early and I would've given him each of the first two rounds. At worst I'd say it was 1-1 heading into the third despite what the judges actually had. All it takes it one of those to land from Topuria though.

I guess they're doing the Volk rematch? I'm not too excited for that. I know you can talk yourself into saying it was a quick turnaround and Volk wasn't fully recovered from the Islam fight but I don't think a rematch will go too differently. Topuria is the best 145'er in the world.

What a return for Khamzat. No one makes Whittaker look like that. I was very skeptical of Khamzat all week with how he looked but maybe that's just his new out of cage persona. He flipped that switch and looked better than ever as soon as the fight started. Still a lot of questions about when and where he can actually fight but sure, skip past Strickland and make it happen. We don't need that awful DDP/Strickland rematch anyways.

I thought Ankalaev looked pretty good and actually showed off some nice striking. That boring label is just attached to him now and his promoter does him no favours but I wasn't bored at all during that fight. Pereira vs. Ankalaev is the way to go.

Shara's KO was insane. Awesome creativity.

Aslan was impressive and it was probably only a matter of time but I thought that was an early stoppage.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
It’s a shame topuria is so good, he’s so unlikeable
He’s only unlikeable because he’s cocky but if you back it up like he does I have zero problems with it

He should be cocky, he’s probably gonna be the best featherweight to ever do it

Whittakers mouth is MANGLED god damn

Reactions: Avs_19

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
At worst, Topuria is the 5th greatest featherweight of all-time, his upward trajectory is insane. He’s already defended the belt more times than McGregor did. Idk how you deal with this guy, he seems unbeatable.
You never know with MMA, but barring some serious injuries derailing him, if he stays active he could very well head towards GOAT territory for the division. And although I hate undeserved champ-champ fights, he could have a compelling case to fight Islam if he dispatches Volk as easily as he did last time around.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
That card lived up to all the hype.

Topuria is going to be an absolute star if he isn't one already. That power is just different and was exactly what I was afraid of for Max. Max actually looked good early and I would've given him each of the first two rounds. At worst I'd say it was 1-1 heading into the third despite what the judges actually had. All it takes it one of those to land from Topuria though.

I guess they're doing the Volk rematch? I'm not too excited for that. I know you can talk yourself into saying it was a quick turnaround and Volk wasn't fully recovered from the Islam fight but I don't think a rematch will go too differently. Topuria is the best 145'er in the world.

What a return for Khamzat. No one makes Whittaker look like that. I was very skeptical of Khamzat all week with how he looked but maybe that's just his new out of cage persona. He flipped that switch and looked better than ever as soon as the fight started. Still a lot of questions about when and where he can actually fight but sure, skip past Strickland and make it happen. We don't need that awful DDP/Strickland rematch anyways.

I thought Ankalaev looked pretty good and actually showed off some nice striking. That boring label is just attached to him now and his promoter does him no favours but I wasn't bored at all during that fight. Pereira vs. Ankalaev is the way to go.

Shara's KO was insane. Awesome creativity.

Aslan was impressive and it was probably only a matter of time but I thought that was an early stoppage.

My exact thoughts as well.

Sucks to see Max being finished like that.

I would much prefer seeing Topuria fight Lopes than Volk tbh.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I know Pereira will probably win fighter of the year, but Topuria should be a contender as he finished both Volk and Max (two of the best featherweights of all time) in the same year.
Yeah, Poatan’s activity is too much to ignore, but KO’ing Volk and Max back-to-back is a historic achievement. I mean, who has better back-to-back wins than that?

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Seen a lot of this lately and I can't say I understand why, he's very exciting to watch and backs up everything he says

Really?

He's very cringeworthy (in English).

But I think everybody acknowledges how good he is. And his star just went to another level today.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
He’s only unlikeable because he’s cocky but if you back it up like he does I have zero problems with it

He should be cocky, he’s probably gonna be the best featherweight to ever do it

Whittakers mouth is MANGLED god damn
Lots of keyboard warriors criticizing him for tapping too early.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad