GDT: UFC 308: Topuria vs. Holloway

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I don't think it was a robbery but 30-27 is not a right card. Rinat definitely won the last half of the 3rd round and could have won the first, I don't think he did, but I can see it.
I had it a clear, 2-1 for Leal. Like clearly.

30-27 is an absolute joke.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
I had it a clear, 2-1 for Leal. Like clearly.

30-27 is an absolute joke.
Which two did you have as clear wins for Leal? The second round definitely leaned toward Leal but it wasn't domination by any means.

Leal gassed in the third and didn't throw for most of the round.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Which two did you have as clear wins for Leal? The second round definitely leaned toward Leal but it wasn't domination by any means.

Leal gassed in the third and didn't throw for most of the round.
I think it was a clear win for Leal. I think he edged out the first, dominated the second for the most part, and won the third. Maybe not as much of a clear win in the first and third as I originally thought, but I did think he clearly won the fight.

IMG_6665.png

I think 99% of the mma world was shocked with that win for Rinat.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
I think it was a clear win for Leal. I think he edged out the first, dominated the second for the most part, and won the third. Maybe not as much of a clear win in the first and third as I originally thought, but I did think he clearly won the fight.

View attachment 921817

I think 99% of the mma world was shocked with that win for Rinat.

Well if you want to look at stats look at the round by round breakdown on UFC stats, because they're vastly different than what you're showing me. First round had 4 significant strike difference for Leal but 2 mins of control time for Rinat, 2nd round was the same as the first round, and 3rd round was a 10 significant strikes more for Rinat. The total significant strike difference in UFC stats is 109 for Rinat vs 107 for Leal.
It's not nearly as egregious as you think.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20241026-113111~2.png
    Screenshot_20241026-113111~2.png
    137.8 KB · Views: 1

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Barnett is really hurt.

He needs to drop a lot of weight, man. He’s too short and too heavy and guys who can control the distance will pick him apart every time.

Reactions: Taytro

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Well if you want to look at stats look at the round by round breakdown on UFC stats, because they're vastly different than what you're showing me. First round had 4 significant strike difference for Leal but 2 mins of control time for Rinat, 2nd round was the same as the first round, and 3rd round was a 10 significant strikes more for Rinat. The total significant strike difference in UFC stats is 109 for Rinat vs 107 for Leal.
It's not nearly as egregious as you think.
I get it. I just don’t think Rinat won that. Maybe it’s the 2nd round blinding be a bit because that was the clearest round of the fight.

Reactions: Taytro

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Barnett is really hurt.

He needs to drop a lot of weight, man. He’s too short and too heavy and guys who can control the distance will pick him apart every time.
Yea, here he was compromised from the start but he's just not built for success at this level. He relies on being explosive, if he lost weight he'd get picked apart by the quicker and more technical fighters. All he's good for is charisma and excitement, but that usually lets you keep a job in the UFC for a while.

I get it. I just don’t think Rinat won that. Maybe it’s the 2nd round blinding be a bit because that was the clearest round of the fight.
I don't disagree, I'm just saying it's not as bad as some of the ones we've seen.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Yea, here he was compromised from the start but he's just not built for success at this level. He relies on being explosive, if he lost weight he'd get picked apart by the quicker and more technical fighters. All he's good for is charisma and excitement, but that usually lets you keep a job in the UFC for a while.
Exactly. I feel he’s fine if you match him up against fighters of similar size. Mark Hunt comes to mind but that time has far passed.

I don’t ever see Barnett ever really moving up in that division. I feel he’s just going to be where he is for the rest of his career. He’s fun, he’s marketable in a “fight night” type of way. Toss him in a fun opener or a prelim, that’s about it.

The issue is there aren’t any guys like him where you can match him up against guys of similar styles or size. I feel anyone leaner and taller will likely just pick him dry.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad