GDT: UFC 259: Blachowicz vs. Adesanya

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Izzy had Jan biting on a lot of feints but did nothing with it really, think he was scared of Jan's counters and power.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
They need to rewrite the scoring system. Start handing out more 10-8s (like in this fight). Holloway got screwed because of it in the Volkanovski rematch
I agree. Not all 10-9s are created equal.

You win a round when out-striking an opponent 30-25? 10-9.

You win a round when out-striking an opponent 50-15? 10-9.

It isn't fair.

* These aren't actual numbers taken from an actual fight. Just used for illustrative purposes. *

Reactions: WillyNy

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Very surprised at the result. I thought Adesanya was a very safe bet to win.

But he lost and it wasn't that close.

Blachowicz proved he isn't a paper champion, simply given the belt because of someone else vacating it. He is the real deal.

I came in thinking he would get scrubbed.

Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
They need to rewrite the scoring system. Start handing out more 10-8s (like in this fight). Holloway got screwed because of it in the Volkanovski rematch

yeah it’s wild to me Jan got multiple 10-8’s here while Max gets to hold his dick in his hands after two near finishes

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
So they're showing a video of Yan's coaches during that kick. Seems like one coach was definitely saying in English "punch", another coach yells something in Russian and then screams "Yes!" right after Yan blasted Sterling with that kick so obviously one of the coaches thought that was a legal technique. Kind of a Chris Weber moment.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
And yet both Rogan and DC spent the entire fight talking about Jan biting on feints and being tired.
Those two are unbearable together.

My laptop is in for repairs so didn't watch the fights. I knew this card wouldn't live up to the hype. Didn't actually excite me that much on paper, which is one of the reasons why I took my laptop in this weekend haha

Reactions: Moncherry

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
That main card really did kinda stink aside from getting to see Islam fight again and get a finish

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
So they're showing a video of Yan's coaches during that kick. Seems like one coach was definitely saying in English "punch", another coach yells something in Russian and then screams "Yes!" right after Yan blasted Sterling with that kick so obviously one of the coaches thought that was a legal technique. Kind of a Chris Weber moment.
I think Yan asked his corner if he should kick, one guy said "only punch", and another guy screamed "Yeah", but as a cheer, not a response

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
I don't regret paying for the card simply for the reason that I don't think anyone would be able to adequately explain in words everything that happened in Yan v. Sterling lol.

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
its a joke how the fighters still don't know when an opponent is grounded. they need to make one universal rule for it

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I don’t think it’s a guarantee he beats Jan

He lost to a guy who Jan demolished (I’m not even gonna argue that, Reyes won) and imo lost to a guy on zero legs

Jon seems to think he’s still old Jon. Haven’t seen that guy in awhile. He’s turned into MMA Mayweather to a degree, just with closer fights

I don't like Jon and I do think Reyes won as well.

That said, even with my dislike Jon did said he was tired of LHW and needed a change.

We'll see him at HW. Between Stipe and Ngannou he's got two challenges.

That said, HW is not a big time division that is hard. He'd piece up most guys if he can maintain range.

Reactions: Chaels Arms and CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I don't like Jon and I do think Reyes won as well.

That said, even with my dislike Jon did said he was tired of LHW and needed a change.

We'll see him at HW. Between Stipe and Ngannou he's got two challenges.

That said, HW is not a big time division that is hard. He'd piece up most guys if he can maintain range.

yeah he honestly could have just been bored. He did seem to flip a switch against Reyes when he realized he was in trouble but idk....just doesn’t seem like his offense is all that special anymore

He is the elite of the elite defensively which is why I compared him to MMA Floyd

Reactions: LyricalLyricist

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Apart from the Yan/Sterling incident I was disappointed with Santos. The sledgehammer looks done. No killer instinct.

doesnt seem to have the same explosion he once had. Shredding both knees will do that I guess. Tough to watch him have a meh fight as a fan when that’s just not his M.O.

Didn’t look like himself in there tonight. I thought he was fine against Glover in terms of “killer instinct” but he didn’t have it tonight. He is 37 I believe so it makes sense

Reactions: LyricalLyricist

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Serious question:

IF Izzy was actually 220 ish like Jan come fight night...does Jan take him down?

izzy has pretty good takedown defense but Jan is good grappler and had size/strength advantage.

I wonder if Izzy's arrogance killed his success this fight.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
All 3 judges gave Jan 4 out of 5 rounds.

Kamijo and Cleary gave Jan a 10-8 in round 5.

Cleary and D'Amato only had Izzy winning round 3. Kamijo had Izzy winning round 2.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
The Santos/Rakic fight was disappointing as was Anderson looking like a deer in headlights, but I found 259 entertaining still. Yan vs Sterling was still a great fight and I thought the main event was fun to watch. Makhachev dominated a legit threat and obviously the prelims were mostly fantastic.

Maybe it didn't fully live up to all the hype but it was a good event overall, just a couple blips on the main card.

Reactions: WillyNy, CDJ and m9

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
doesnt seem to have the same explosion he once had. Shredding both knees will do that I guess. Tough to watch him have a meh fight as a fan when that’s just not his M.O.

I thought he opened up a bit in Round 3, but yeah it was tough to watch. Lateral movement and speed is just non-existent.

Those injuries have a long recovery so hopefully we see him bounce back.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I thought he opened up a bit in Round 3, but yeah it was tough to watch. Lateral movement and speed is just non-existent.

Those injuries have a long recovery so hopefully we see him bounce back.

Santos is 37. I think the ship has sailed.

Lets not forget Jan has lost 1 fight in 4 years and it was getting KO'd be santos.

Lets not forget Jon had one split decision win in his career...over Santos.

This guy was really a threat and now he's reduced to a counter puncher. At 37 years old and needing more recovery time...its over.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Put Thiago in there with like Devin Clark or something, if the fireworks don’t come back he should call it a career

so many KO wins in his career that he’ll have a lot of happy memories to replay in his head in retirement

I will say this- if he was truly washed Rakic would have taken his head off. That kid is legit. I know his last couple of fights weren’t thrilling but the kid is a player at 205 with Ankalaev. Part of the next wave. Can include Jiri P too

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Santos is 37. I think the ship has sailed.

Lets not forget Jan has lost 1 fight in 4 years and it was getting KO'd be santos.

Lets not forget Jon had one split decision win in his career...over Santos.

This guy was really a threat and now he's reduced to a counter puncher. At 37 years old and needing more recovery time...its over.

I can't really argue with that except to say guys like Anthony Smith and Nikita Krylov are top ten in the division so I think even this version of Santos can hang around the UFC awhile.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad