colorado
Visit site
So my current lineup of this team:

Svech - Aho - Necas
Martinook - Staal - Jarvis
Kuzy - Jack - Carrier
Kk - Drury - Robinson
Lemieux - Jost - Fast (ltir)

I think Fast ends up on the ltir. Necas, KK, Drury and Kuzy are all candidates to move. I think Rod wants to go full 2018. Goes back to when Staal was 2C. He still envisions this team as 2006 Canes with Staal playing with role of Rod.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I agree with others that it's logical they make a move. We have too many NHL forwards here. I guess we can make it work if we scratch all of Lemieux/Fast/Robinson.

The most logical moves are to trade Necas, perhaps for futures, or to trade KK as a cap dump. There really aren't any other moves that make sense to me. We aren't trading Aho or Svech or Jarvis or Staal, and the other forwards we either just signed or don't have value.

I agree with Bleed that it's looking very 2018-2019 for forwards. Rod wants a lunch pail team, and it seems this year he's getting it. The only players who are anathema to Rod's way of doing things are Kuznetsov and Necas. I can see Necas being traded, and Kuzy has so much skill that I think Rod will let him play a little.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
On the whole they've done really well to extract value from a period where most teams do the exact opposite. Obviously have some holes to fill in the top-6 still, but we knew all of the talent lost on July 1 wouldn't be replaced in the same day.

The defensive signings don't make like-for-like replacements for Pesce/Skjei, but that was never happening without going wild on AAV and term. They're solid enough to provide a soft landing and the contracts are cheap enough to allow for flexibility in the next year when Orlov/Burns roll off and Nikishin/Morrow get promoted on ELCs.

Assuming Necas stays, I think we're a solid 2LW type away from having a pretty good roster for this transition year. I still like Farabee as a target, maybe a package of Drury with picks/prospects could get that done.

Svech-Aho-Necas
Trade-Kuzy-Jarvis
Marty-Jordo-Roslovic
Carrier-KK-Robinson
Lemieux

Fast to LTIR.

Given the talent lost, that would be a pretty solid rebound. With the money rolling off next summer and multiple young guys ready to take lineup spots on ELCs, I think that's when we'll see the move to go after a top-line talent and really bolster the lineup for the next competitive window.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Money problems though, do we have enough cash to sign Jarvis, Drury and Necas?

My lineup gets even worse when you subtract Necas for futures.
Agreed. We have about $12M in capspace now, and I'd assume Jarvis is $7M, Necas is $7M, and Drury is $2M, give or take. Yet another reason why we are very likely to trade Necas. Drury I suppose also is a possibility, though his return is probably less valuable than just keeping him at this point.

If we LTIR Fast, that's just about enough to squeak all our RFAs under the cap.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Agreed. We have about $12M in capspace now, and I'd assume Jarvis is $7M, Necas is $7M, and Drury is $2M, give or take. Yet another reason why we are very likely to trade Necas. Drury I suppose also is a possibility, though his return is probably less valuable than just keeping him at this point.

If we LTIR Fast, that's just about enough to squeak all our RFAs under the cap.
I could see us trying to move KK or Kuzy as cap dumps. I like Kuzy for that more with his one year left, someone would probably take him. Then we could fit everyone else.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
This offseason looks like a complete overhaul of our play style.

Defense built for more transition to offense and forwards for run and gun or counter attacking.

I hope Rod and ET are on the same page.

The guys we have don't seem like they were assembled with thoughts of line construction or chemistry. More like a group of guys that match some obscure individual metrics and were willing to sign below market deals.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I could see us trying to move KK or Kuzy as cap dumps. I like Kuzy for that more with his one year left, someone would probably take him. Then we could fit everyone else.
I think that's the clean answer to making the money work. We've seen a few of those trades already, it may cost us the Chiacgo 3rd but we'll make that back by just trading down a time or two next summer :laugh:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
This offseason looks like a complete overhaul of our play style.

Defense built for more transition to offense and forwards for run and gun or counter attacking.

I hope Rod and ET are on the same page.

The guys we have don't seem like they were assembled with thoughts of line construction or chemistry. More like a group of guys that match some obscure individual metrics and were willing to sign below market deals.
I feel like they’re trying harder to give Rod the team he wants, and it’s very much working off a list of guys vetted through Tulsky’s algorithm/calculator/machine that Rod helped set the parameters to. Rod can figure the rest out.

I envision an 80’s printer, maybe from “war games” era with the holes along the sides of the page. It’s been rebuilt by hand by Tulsky and he codes it as needed. It’s attached to Tulsky’s version of the “wopr” from the same movie with colored lights along the side of it. The screen is black with green text. He types in what he wants the printer spits out a list of names and the price we won’t go a penny over to acquire them.

That got away from me. The printer is the whole thing. It’s got lights on it and is called the wopr.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
From a Czech hockey data analytics guy Rono with a decent following re: Necas - does this price point open the door for other trading partners beyond those oft mentioned?
I don't think he's asking for that. From what I heard, he prefers a big role over money. I belive he would be fine with something like $6M x 6 or so.

Reactions: DaveG

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I'd rather keep Kuzy as he seems like the only one who could put up real 2c numbers if the stars align.

It's between losing Drury or Kokomiami for me....and I'd keep Drury as he costs way less.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
For us, I think not for them. They’d prefer to have both of them after using futures to get Necas. I think if they were giving up Peterka or something that good it would’ve happened already.
That's possible. I think Kotkaniemi would be a great fit there as 3c and they have a ton of cap space.

I could see Necas going there and getting his shot at 2c as well.

ElmCityGuy

Apr 20, 2023
On the whole they've done really well to extract value from a period where most teams do the exact opposite. Obviously have some holes to fill in the top-6 still, but we knew all of the talent lost on July 1 wouldn't be replaced in the same day.

The defensive signings don't make like-for-like replacements for Pesce/Skjei, but that was never happening without going wild on AAV and term. They're solid enough to provide a soft landing and the contracts are cheap enough to allow for flexibility in the next year when Orlov/Burns roll off and Nikishin/Morrow get promoted on ELCs.

Assuming Necas stays, I think we're a solid 2LW type away from having a pretty good roster for this transition year. I still like Farabee as a target, maybe a package of Drury with picks/prospects could get that done.

Svech-Aho-Necas
Trade-Kuzy-Jarvis
Marty-Jordo-Roslovic
Carrier-KK-Robinson
Lemieux

Fast to LTIR.

Given the talent lost, that would be a pretty solid rebound. With the money rolling off next summer and multiple young guys ready to take lineup spots on ELCs, I think that's when we'll see the move to go after a top-line talent and really bolster the lineup for the next competitive window.
I agree with your post.

Now just use Drury to get Hoglander.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Screenshot 2024-07-04 112843.png

Here's my lineup design. All four lines get a right shot. Lemieux and Jost are buried in Chicago and my contracts here are 1x5 to Necas, 8x7.5 to Jarvis, and 2x1.4 to Drury. If KK and Kuznetsov have rebound years, they IMO make the most sense on the 2nd line. If one or both of them tank, you can put Roslovic and Drury there. Regardless, I think my lineup makes sense. It relies on players rebounding, but weirder things have happened than improved conditioning from Kuznetsov and a 24 year old center taking an unexpected leap forward.

baconandbread

Oct 30, 2019
So updated trade candidate list in no particular order is

Kuznetsov - Don't see much value here but who knows
KK - Would be great value as a 3C on another team
Drury - Don't see us getting alot personally, has most value to Rod
Necas - Would obviously get us the most but feel we need at least a 20 goal scorer in return

Reactions: WreckingCrew

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
So updated trade candidate list in no particular order is

Kuznetsov - Don't see much value here but who knows
KK - Would be great value as a 3C on another team
Drury - Don't see us getting alot personally, has most value to Rod
Necas - Would obviously get us the most but feel we need at least a 20 goal scorer in return
Trick is there's no point in trading any of them if it's not for a 2nd line W

Currently I would guess Kuzy/KK is 2LW & 2C, Necas/Jarvy are 1/2 RW. Trade Necas and you need another 2RW, trade Kuzy/KK and you need a 2LW/2C. Drury I thought I heard at one point was asking for like $2M+ which he's probably not currently worth? I think the GMBC would prefer to trade Kuzy since KK is locked up long-term, so if you trade him and Kuzy doesn't step up we have no 2C moving forward...plus it shortens the buyout length to keep KK another year. I think he'd be a great 3C still honestly but RBA will be stubborn about Staal even if he's just a corpse on the ice

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
I still think they have to be planning on shipping out 1 or 2 of Necas, KK or Drury. Didn't Tulsky comment that one or two rookies would be in the line-up? I didn't listen to his press conference so just going off what I thought someone posted.
around the 10:40 point he answers a question stating Yorke/that group has done a great job identifying and developing an "absolutely fantastic pipeline of talent" and they have to leave room for kids to keep growing and assuming bigger/NHL roles (it's part of the job here....we are not in a rebuild but have to leave room).

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad