GDT: UFA Frenzy 2024 - We're ALL Gonna Die

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Pending RFA signings / Necas trade and possible KK or Kuznetsov moves, can't figure out 2nd line at all. Necas for Protas would be big on the top 6 fills a hole. KK out would be a hockey trade for Laine type of deal? Drury to 4C

Laine - Aho - Jarvis
Protas - Kuznetsov - Svechnikov
Carrier - Staal - FUS(or which ever prospect comes in ready)
Marty - Drury - Robinson/whoever

• Wow
Reactions: WreckingCrew

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
11 forwards

Aho, Svech, Kuzy, KK, Martinook, Staal, Fast, Carrier, Robinson, Jost, Lemieux.

We typically would carry 13 forwards, so 2 forward slots to fill....and likely a 7th defender too.
The 12th forward in this case is nadeau. So we are still good with 16 million in space

Reactions: Tryamw

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
I don’t get folks infatuation with Laine. Besides for his off-ice issues he has hasn’t had a great/complete season since he was 19. His +/- is well (yeah i know not a stat to totally focus on but) crap:

1720025617731.png

Last edited:

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Pending RFA signings / Necas trade and possible KK or Kuznetsov moves, can't figure out 2nd line at all. Necas for Protas would be big on the top 6 fills a hole. KK out would be a hockey trade for Laine type of deal? Drury to 4C

Laine - Aho - Jarvis
Protas - Kuznetsov - Svechnikov
Carrier - Staal - FUS(or which ever prospect comes in ready)
Marty - Drury - Robinson/whoever
What big ++ is Washington adding to Protas? He's big, but doesn't hit, and he had all of 6 goals last year in 78 games, and 29 points...he's a 3rd liner you can hope develops into a 2LW, you don't give up a top 6 winger for that.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I usually don’t dabble in this stuff because trying to gauge value is always tough but:

Necas + 2025 2nd for Ehlers + McGroarty

Thoughts?
I don’t know that the value is off at all for the league, but for us it’s a little tough acquiring a ufa to be, there’s no reason to think we’d keep him but I know you’re factoring that into the value overall.

I get torn on Mcgroarty as a prospect. From what I’ve seen the pros are that he’s a strong kid, shoots pretty hard, at the ncaa level compliments skilled linemates by playing a simple game around them, oozes personality and potential leadership. Cons? That skating is atrocious. For such a strong kid he’s off balance a lot. It’s hard to imagine him driving play at all. The shot will only show itself when he’s being set up by a creative teammate. I don’t know that it’s nhl strong and accurate.

He could be a great net front guy. He’s definitely different than most of our prospects these days.

I love Ehlers, that guy dances and has zero issues creating great scoring chances for himself. I think he’s who Necas wishes he was. He gets hurt a lot and he’d be gone pretty quick though.

Not a bad thought and if we were more likely to sign Ehlers it would be a good deal. We’d probably have to kick in more.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
too bad a team like Anaheim, Montreal, SJ, or Calgary (calgary especially) dont have a forward that is slightly older and getting ready to get paid and it doesnt match their current build timeline. I would flip McGroarty for that player in a second to help the team now. Then that trade could really benefit the team.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I don’t know that the value is off at all for the league, but for us it’s a little tough acquiring a ufa to be, there’s no reason to think we’d keep him but I know you’re factoring that into the value overall.

I get torn on Mcgroarty as a prospect. From what I’ve seen the pros are that he’s a strong kid, shoots pretty hard, at the ncaa level compliments skilled linemates by playing a simple game around them, oozes personality and potential leadership. Cons? That skating is atrocious. For such a strong kid he’s off balance a lot. It’s hard to imagine him driving play at all. The shot will only show itself when he’s being set up by a creative teammate. I don’t know that it’s nhl strong and accurate.

He could be a great net front guy. He’s definitely different than most of our prospects these days.

I love Ehlers, that guy dances and has zero issues creating great scoring chances for himself. I think he’s who Necas wishes he was. He gets hurt a lot and he’d be gone pretty quick though.

Not a bad thought and if we were more likely to sign Ehlers it would be a good deal. We’d probably have to kick in more.

If we could re-sign Ehlers as part of the trade I’d up it to 2025 1st without much thought.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I'm fine going all futures for Necas. Given that this didn't happen before free agency, there just aren't as many teams who have the capspace to add a $6M+ player like Necas will be. For example, Vancouver would have been interested, but now they don't have the space. I've banged on the Dylan Guenther drum. It'd have to be a really good young player like that. What about Cutter Gauthier? It's hard to find a team who will tango and to find a prospect who is both very good and that the team won't overvalue.

Unsustainable

Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
I'm fine going all futures for Necas. Given that this didn't happen before free agency, there just aren't as many teams who have the capspace to add a $6M+ player like Necas will be. For example, Vancouver would have been interested, but now they don't have the space. I've banged on the Dylan Guenther drum. It'd have to be a really good young player like that. What about Cutter Gauthier? It's hard to find a team who will tango and to find a prospect who is both very good and that the team won't overvalue.
I wish the 4th OA happened and we got Demidov....

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA

Ooh, see, I’m the opposite. I would’ve been ok with all futures before the draft because then those futures can be flipped for players. Now, the pickings are slimmer. I think it would be a flat out bad idea to go into the season without Necas or without a top 6er (or a young top 9er who could grow into top 6) in exchange for Necas.

Unsustainable

Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
I think our best bet is still a growing team that wants to speed up their rebuild like Chicago or Utah. Calgary.

Going into the draft Id say the odds of him leaving were 80%. Now I think it’s 50/50.
What would we get?
Chicago unprotected 1st and prospect?
Utah Schmaltz retained and picks?
Calgary Sharangovic?

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
To me Buffalo makes the most sense for necas. Still need a top 6 forward and have young guys they could trade. Jack Quinn could be one of those just up to Buffalo if they wanna move any of them

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
The 12th forward in this case is nadeau. So we are still good with 16 million in space
If you add Nadeau, we have about $13.7 million is cap space by my calculation.
Utah Schmaltz retained and picks?
Scmaltz doesn't play a position of need. If we trade with Utah, I'd go for Crouse and a prospect like Miko Matikka. Big kid, played will at UD last season.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
If you add Nadeau, we have about $13.7 million is cap space by my calculation.

Scmaltz doesn't play a position of need. If we trade with Utah, I'd go for Crouse and a prospect like Miko Matikka. Big kid, played will at UD last season.
I think that’s what BBA is saying, and I agree. I don’t think there’s any way we’d get Crouse and a plus. I’d be surprised if we got Crouse straight up. Everyone knows Necas is available and everyone has made their moves. I’m sure there’s teams interested but value might not be high now, and I don’t think there’s any way we’re getting the equivalent of Necas back. Not right now anyways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad