GDT: UFA Frenzy 2024 - We're ALL Gonna Die

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Right, and that freakout happened in the context of a team that did indeed fall flat on its face as almost everyone expected. You’ll recall that several months later they traded for Nino, who spent the rest of the season scoring at the 30+ goal pace. Prior to replacing that Skinner-level scoring contribution, they were 22-20-5 and 8 points out of the playoffs. Meanwhile, Skinner scored 30 goals during that same time period.

Thankfully, Nino had 4 multi-goal games down the stretch. In 3 of them, his scoring accounted for the winning margin. Canes made the playoffs by 3 points. You can pretty much draw a straight line between replacing Skinner’s scoring and ultimately staggering over the finish line.

Which is to say — if at some point in the near future they add a player who will make contributions similar to a Guentzel or a Skjei, the freakout will subside. But they’re probably not going to do that, so it’s fully justified to point out the reality that this team just got a lot worse in 24 hours, and not be particularly interested in a “remember that one time?” miracle narratives.

So what you are essentially saying, is that your freak-out was premature and unwarranted back then because you assumed the front office wouldn't make changes, so it might be again now? I guess that's fine. To each, their own.

Let's get back to the point @Derailed75 made. He said this team is more talented than the 18/19 team, yet you are commenting about not having a Guentzel type scorer.

In 18-19, here were the top returning goal scorers from the prior season:
Aho: 29
TT: 23
Staal: 19
Williams: 16

In 24-25, here are the top returning goal scorers from the prior season:
Aho: 36
Jarvis: 33
Necas: 24
Svech: 19 (in 59 games so a 26G 82 game pace).

It's fair to say we have much more offense on this squad than the 18-19 squad did.

The defense is a little weaker than 18-19 for sure
Our goalies are substantially better heading into the season than 18-19
Our forwards are substantially better heading into the season 18-19

And if you remember, heading into the 18-19 season, Jordan Staal was the only player on the roster that had spent NHL time playin Center. Rask cut his hand on a sweet potato and was out to start the season. Aho had only been tried about 10 games by Peters at C, but was always a winger. He was even a winger in Finland, moving to C for the WJC. Wallmark had no NHL experience.

Even with our lack of a true 2C, we have Aho, Kuzy, Staal, KK, and Drury with NHL center experience.

Like I said, I do expect a step back, I don't share the gloom and doom you and others do. If I'm wrong, so be it, but no sense freaking out about it now.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Hey @Boom Boom Apathy quit taking my pollyanna-ish position, Eternal optimism is my calling card. You're way to pragmatic to join the club. :sarcasm:
It's not optimism. It's being pragmatic and not freaking out until we see what the team is like on opening day and expecting that this front office will make changes if it isn't working. I fully expect they won't be as good as they were last year. As I said in an earlier post, I'm excited about this season as it could be they stink, or could be they are fun and exciting to watch or it could be they are good. No sense freaking out about it now. To each, their own.

Last edited:

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
I was just thinking about a team who would be a great fit for Necas: the LA Kings. They have zero right shots in their top-6 at the moment. Kempe or Fiala would be great fits for us after the Guentzel saga. If I was Tulsky, I would call up Rob Blake, offer up Necas and a good draft pick or prospect for Fiala, and see if he bites. Again, don't laugh at me, I'm just riffing a bit before I go to bed.
They are on this list. He usually has inside info on the NY area teams but mentioned the Canes and Necas here:

The Caps?

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
This year was always going to be a step back. They took a big swing with a rental free agent because this was the last hurrah this group had with so many contracts ending. But a step back from being in the presidents trophy conversation 3 years in a row is not the end of the world
This probably end up WC1 or Met 3 with luck could get Met 2 if there's a disaster injury wise they may be a bubble team.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
One correction, that winning % from Jan1 on in 18-19 was actually 4th best in the NHL, not the best.

From the end of that season through today, the Canes have the 3nd best winning% in the entire NHL.

One could reasonably argue that it wasn't a "miracle run" but more indicative of the team's capability in general.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
This probably end up WC1 or Met 3 with luck could get Met 2 if there's a disaster injury wise they may be a bubble team.
Maybe

But Michkov coming to Philly has me a little worried that we could fall to Met4, as I'm expecting them to take a big step forward and they showed signs last year of being close.

We could be a good team next year and still be in danger of missing the playoffs given what the other teams in the Metro have done. Duclair with the Isles, the moves Washington made and Pitt having Crosby just somehow still willing his teams to quality play doesn't make me feel like anything is safe if the Canes take a big step back.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Potential nino trade v2. If Rakell struggles out of the gate in Pittsburgh again, he could be a decent target for a KK swap. If kk struggles out the gates too.

Making the playoffs doesn’t worry me with our team. I do think we are going to be relying on Kooch and Andersen heavily to get us through November. 2 defenders learning the ropes with, potentially, a lower scoring offense

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2016
This year was clearly always a retool year. For this team to be a true contender after this year a few things need to happen in my opinion.

1) Morrow needs to be ready to step in a a reliable full time NHLer by the end of the season

2) at least one forward prospect needs to warrant a top 6 role on an ELC

3) Nikishin needs to be as advertised, I.e. top 4 impact player

4) Necas situation needs to be resolved by either fixing the relationship and getting full bur in or replacing him with an equally impactful forward

5) Pyotr needs to become a 1A

6) if all these happen they will have the cap flexibility to bring in an elite talent either through trade or FA

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Slavin aside (hard to believe he was ever a free agent risk), my view is:

Walker was a very good move (very fast skater, blocks shots),
Carrier TBD (poor track record of staying healthy & will he even make it for 6 years let alone one full season...but, if he stays healthy it's a very good pickup for grit),
Ghost not bad (no size but maneuvers well and can be PP1 or 2...Burns wouldn't be my one anymore).
Other guys, don't move the needle at all.

btw: plenty of summer days left to round out the roster and/or perhaps more importantly open up slots for the young guys to play and improve. I think of this year now as Nashville-like from LY, playing young guys and getting roster financials setup for a big following year. Canes are in a similar position.

FWIW: It's logical to think there can be a lot more angst coming from folks that have financial "skin" in the game with very expensive season tickets versus those that are fans but don't.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
One correction, that winning % from Jan1 on in 18-19 was actually 4th best in the NHL, not the best.

From the end of that season through today, the Canes have the 3nd best winning% in the entire NHL.

One could reasonably argue that it wasn't a "miracle run" but more indicative of the team's capability in general.
Sure it wasn't the 2st or 4rd? :sarcasm:

MyLuckyPuck

Jan 5, 2021
What about Alex Nylander? May have a high upside. I think this team needs to take a swing at someone at this point with some offensive skill.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
We were also in the middle of a cup run. If they are far enough outside at the deadline it would make perfect sense for them to trade Orlov. If they are in the playoffs or fighting for a spot they'll keep him like they have the other UFAs.
Thats assuming we are outside of the playoffs, which seems unlikely

Drift

Jan 9, 2012
I am curious how do you guys see your starting forward group this year with the current makeup of the team? Trying Kotkaniemi at 2C to start the season again?

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
Thats assuming we are outside of the playoffs, which seems unlikely
Even if we are battling for say a wild card spot I can see them moving him if the return is good. Last season was different. I’m not saying it’s likely I just don’t think they’ll let a good asset like him walk for nothing

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Even if we are battling for say a wild card spot I can see them moving him if the return is good. Last season was different. I’m not saying it’s likely I just don’t think they’ll let a good asset like him walk for nothing
we havent done that yet. even in 18-19 we decided to keep Ferland when we had offers. It turned out to be a mistake because he didnt really play very much but orlov doesnt have the same issues.

like most teams, if we have a shot in the playoffs we are going to take it instead of downgrading the team.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Would Caps do Protas and 1st for Necas?

we havent done that yet. even in 18-19 we decided to keep Ferland when we had offers. It turned out to be a mistake because he didnt really play very much but orlov doesnt have the same issues.

like most teams, if we have a shot in the playoffs we are going to take it instead of downgrading the team.
Going back to the "intersesting" contract we offered Skjei rumored to be a high 2y year, then extend for lower after. I can see Orlov staying for a lower cap after this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad