GDT: UFA Frenzy 2024 - We're ALL Gonna Die

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
With 14 forwards, counting Jarvis, Drury, Necas, all on 1 way contracts, which includes Robinson and Jost, where is there room for our young players as Tlusky was implying?

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I wonder if the Canes truly go for a Vegas-style trade-and-extension with Necas as the chip. The Blues would definitely need a good pick sent to us for the RFA vs. UFA difference, but I could see the Canes taking another swing at a PPG guy before the season starts.

in a effort to increase depth, I would do necas for buch @ 50% with something small if we can get Buch extended post trade. then we have an extra 3+ million to play with to add some scoring depth too.
Yea, I wouldn't trade Necas for Buch without an extension in place for Buch or a big futures-type add in case he's a 1 year rental

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Yea, I wouldn't trade Necas for Buch without an extension in place for Buch or a big futures-type add in case he's a 1 year rental
so my wording was a little misleading. the extension would have to come post trade to allow STL to retain on the previous contract and not the extension as well.

We would agree on an extension with Buch before the trade would happen but not sign it in until the trade was completed and submitted to the league.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Yeah, Nashville is doing something kinda unprecedented in signing 3 huge UFAs. I could see them being a bubble team, and I could also see them placing 1st or 2nd out West. They were a decent, tough team last year, and now they have a lot more skill. Even with these big deals, they haven't completely handcuffed themselves capwise. But it will be difficult to add another big deal if a forward like Evangelista breaks out and requires a $7M or more deal. 4 years from now will maybe be a tough one, but GMs don't usually worry that far out.

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
What in the world are the Ducks going to do to hit the floor? They’re currently $6M under with a 19/23 roster.
Here is an option I’m sure will get me yelled at,

Necas 8 x 8 to the Ducks with Anderson and KK for Gibson 50% retained, Ziegler, and futures/draft picks. That would put the Ducks over the minimum cap requirement

• Wow
Reactions: WreckingCrew

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Yeah, Nashville is doing something kinda unprecedented in signing 3 huge UFAs. I could see them being a bubble team, and I could also see them placing 1st or 2nd out West. They were a decent, tough team last year, and now they have a lot more skill. Even with these big deals, they haven't completely handcuffed themselves capwise. But it will be difficult to add another big deal if a forward like Evangelista breaks out and requires a $7M or more deal. 4 years from now will maybe be a tough one, but GMs don't usually worry that far out.

Nashville has a lot of talent that hasn't made it to the big show yet, but as of now I think they're one center and one top-4 D away from being a top contender in the West.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
my thing with nashville is that are going to try to look like Boston without the really good system.

Nashville is weak down the middle with Novak and ROR. ROR is turning 34 this year and his slide will begin soon. Add in they signed the two older wingers who play the same position. They better do something next season and maybe the window is open until 25-26 but after that all their old players are going to start to slip.

Last edited:

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
The last one of these I can remember is when Minnesota signed both Suter and Parise to those massive contracts, getting the top two free agents on the market. Huge coup at the time, those contracts just wound up being, er, a tad too long. Nashville got three, but not the guy at the top of the market, seems comparable to me.

These are much saner contracts, though. I think it's a good move for them.

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
I assume you mean Necas for Laine (25% retained)? Laine just doesn't have that value right now due to his numerous injuries and Player Assistance history. He might be available at 50% retained for a future or a guy like Drury. Necas has substantially more value at this point. Now, that could quickly change over the course of the next season if he bounces back, but right now Laine would be a throw-in for a Necas trade. There would have to be another very good piece as the focus of a trade with CBJ.
Necas also supposedly turned down a contract with Columbus so unless it's a 1/2 year deal (assuming DW offered a long term deal) I'd say that trade idea is toast.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
The last one of these I can remember is when Minnesota signed both Suter and Parise to those massive contracts, getting the top two free agents on the market. Huge coup at the time, those contracts just wound up being, er, a tad too long.

The Nashville contracts are shorter, which helps them quite a bit.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Necas also supposedly turned down a contract with Columbus so unless it's a 1/2 year deal (assuming DW offered a long term deal) I'd say that trade idea is toast.
All of these big return Necas trades are contingent on him agreeing to sign long term with the team that trades for him. I can absolutely see why he'd refuse to do that in Columbus at the moment.

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
I wonder who could be had on St. Louis likely buchnevich, krug, saad. I wonder if a guy like Schenn could be had maybe they retain 25 percent. Could be a interesting 2nd line centre

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
All of these big return Necas trades are contingent on him agreeing to sign long term with the team that trades for him. I can absolutely see why he'd refuse to do that in Columbus at the moment.
I get that too, but Necas is also drawing my ire if I'm reading everything correctly.

He had that one quote where he said he was looking forward to the worlds after being down 0-3 against the Rangers. His Dad and girlfriend have gone to the media to ask out. He has not been committal to the team that owns his rights (often a player will say something like "I'll do anything for the team I'm currently playing for etc etc). He also has asked to play center when he sucks defensively and he can't win faceoffs. And, it looks like he refused to sign with Columbus, a team who can offer him more opportunity.

Like, dude, what do you want? Want to play for a contender? Stay here. Want to get more opportunity? That means the team won't be as good.

The more I hear, the more I'm ready to move on.

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
I'm of the mind, if Necas is willing to give us a chance, that if Necas was the 1st line RW and had PP1 time, the desire to play center would be somewhat ameliorated....at least for a season. Those two factors alone would likely add 20 points to his scoring totals.
But Necas (like the rest of us) probably knows darn well that any slip ups and Rod will yank him off the line so fast his head will spin. Deserved or not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad