GDT: UFA Frenzy 2024 - We're ALL Gonna Die

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Washington has had an interesting offseason. I don't know that they'll be a ton better (could even be worse since they probably got better results than they deserved), but they'll probably be a bit of a better watch than the product they put on the ice last year.

Reactions: DaveG

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I think the Marty signing is worth it. He's a heart and soul guy. He scores decently in the playoffs and decently well for no PP time. Moreover, he's the quintessential team-first player. Both on the ice and off it. $3M really isn't bad for all that he brings to the table. It's $3M from an $88M cap, so 3.4%.

It's hard not to want to panic as a fan at this point, but we did the same thing when we let go of Trocheck and Hamilton. The front office has a track record of finding a way. We do have to be patient. As hard as it is now to swallow, there is a lot of track record of many guys on their 3rd or 4th contract not playing it out as they did before, whether due to an aging body or not feeling the need to give 100%.

I don't think we'll win the metro next year but I'd be surprised if we fall out of the playoffs entirely.

Highest Boss

Jan 15, 2014
Illinois
Funny Gifs : lisa simpson Gif - VSGIF.com

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Obviously it's worth re-signing Martinook. Important player to Rod. It is a bit high on the AAV which, alright, you throw him a bone, but you'd think there'd be some capitulation on the term for someone about to turn 32. Leadership role or not. Were rivals really beating his door down at ~2.5-3m for 4-5 years (hell no), or 3.5-4m+ ish for 2-3? To an extent this is probably splitting hairs but if this is all you're doing while every team in the metro is cooking with grease, doesn't feel great.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Cormag001

Feb 9, 2019
I was really hoping we wouldn't lose Skjei but 7x7 is very expensive. Can't blame the FO for letting him go at that price. Still hurts.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
I think the Marty signing is worth it. He's a heart and soul guy. He scores decently in the playoffs and decently well for no PP time. Moreover, he's the quintessential team-first player. Both on the ice and off it. $3M really isn't bad for all that he brings to the table. It's $3M from an $88M cap, so 3.4%.

It's hard not to want to panic as a fan at this point, but we did the same thing when we let go of Trocheck and Hamilton. The front office has a track record of finding a way. We do have to be patient. As hard as it is now to swallow, there is a lot of track record of many guys on their 3rd or 4th contract not playing it out as they did before, whether due to an aging body or not feeling the need to give 100%.

I don't think we'll win the metro next year but I'd be surprised if we fall out of the playoffs entirely.
You are right that the offseason isn't done yet. With other teams in our division/conference loading up it certainly puts more pressure on the front office to fill out the roster capably.

I'd rather have a Devils year, draft in top 10 and with Burns and Orlov's contracts ending, load up next summer versus being in middle ground purgatory with our obligatory trade down approach.

We have a bunch of young guys in the system....let's play them and 'tank" for a year with '25-'26 or '26-'27 as the goal for a re-emergence.

btw: cynical view--Dundon has his season ticket holder renewal money and his big project approved so no need to reach high this year (last year was the one to get the Centennial Authority on board to pass his plan that will yield him in excess of $100M Enterprise value).

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad