UEFA Europa League 2021-22

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Leipzig-Frankfurt final is most likely to me right now. Frankfurt went all in on Europe this year and it has really paid off.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The other good thing is that as long as Leipzig doesn't win next year's CL will be more interesting. If Rangers makes it there will be two Scottish teams, obviously West Ham and Frankfurt are different CL teams too.

And also stating the obvious none of these teams are often winners.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I don't know anything about Frankfurt, but outside looking in, I don't know how anyone can be favored in that tie.

What's Frankfurt's style? West Ham tend to struggle when opposition sides concede the ball to them and make them break them down. Hoping Zouma is healthy, but sounds like he might be out for the rest of the season possibly.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I don't know anything about Frankfurt, but outside looking in, I don't know how anyone can be favored in that tie.

What's Frankfurt's style? West Ham tend to struggle when opposition sides concede the ball to them and make them break them down. Hoping Zouma is healthy, but sounds like he might be out for the rest of the season possibly.

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Frankfurt (at their best) are tough against the ball, both dropping off & pressing, and can be dangerous on the break or from set-pieces.

But they're not super consistent, which is why is they're a firmly midtable team...and they don't have the money that West Ham does.

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Thanks. Two counterattacking teams it sounds like.
Frankfurt (at their best) are tough against the ball, both dropping off & pressing, and can be dangerous on the break or from set-pieces.

But they're not super consistent, which is why is they're a firmly midtable team...and they don't have the money that West Ham does.
Sounds sort of similar to West Ham. Ultimately, you don't knockout Barcelona without talent, so financial shortcomings or no, sounds like it should be a fun tie.

It was Eintracht supporters by the way, that attacked West Ham fans in Seville when they were playing Betis and West Ham was playing Sevilla. Hopefully no dumb stuff.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Left the game with 15 minutes left or so, not surprised Lyon didn't even have a goal in them.
Lyon fans have been mad all year but didn't lash out because of EL, not surprised they blew a fuse tonight.
And being eliminated in this fashion, by a very limited team and clearly vastly inferior based on 180 minutes of putrid football by Lyon who still crushed them in xG.... fitting end of a sucky season for Lyon. They should sell their useless vets and go all youth. They have a top 3 academy in the world and they just sold Gouiri, Kalulu and Bard last summer for less than 10M combined. All 3 would start on this team. And Cherki is considering leaving if he doesn't get the playing time he should get.

I also loved the Frankfurt fans blocking the tunnels to avoid Barca fans leaving early :laugh:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
The other good thing is that as long as Leipzig doesn't win next year's CL will be more interesting. If Rangers makes it there will be two Scottish teams, obviously West Ham and Frankfurt are different CL teams too.

And also stating the obvious none of these teams are often winners.
If Leipzig wins the EL, Ligue 1 has an automatic third CL team. Monaco's away goal rule fiasco prevented that this year.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
If Leipzig wins the EL, Ligue 1 has an automatic third CL team. Monaco's away goal rule fiasco prevented that this year.

It would be nice to see Strasbourg then. Everyone would make jokes when they flop out of Europe but they were just at the bottom frequently and didn't make group stage in EL when they had the chance before. It's a good story.

Reactions: Evilo

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
UEFA thought it would create more attacking in both legs. There's only been two 0-0 the entire knockout so I dunno maybe they were right.

Yeah, it's been a bit surprising that usually games have been more positive in both legs. It's just the first season, so we'll have to wait and see if it lasts, but early on it looks like a successful decision.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Thanks. Two counterattacking teams it sounds like.

Sounds sort of similar to West Ham. Ultimately, you don't knockout Barcelona without talent, so financial shortcomings or no, sounds like it should be a fun tie.

It was Eintracht supporters by the way, that attacked West Ham fans in Seville when they were playing Betis and West Ham was playing Sevilla. Hopefully no dumb stuff.

Frankfurt ultras are probably the most 'game' in the BuLi, and if they play West Ham it's highly likely that there will be some degree of fireworks, literally and figuratively, simply because of the famous reputation of West Ham's firm, which makes it a 'scalp' that foreign hooligans/ultras consider highly desirable.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
:huh:BFC Dynamo isn't in the semis
In truth, I doubt most people outside Scotland have a particularly strong opinion on any Scottish team incl. Celtic and Rangers, especially now that those teams' European forays tend to be not particularly notable in most seasons. I will say it's worth a chuckle when German commentators talk about Celtic and then repeatedly refer to their "typically British style".

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Frankfurt ultras are probably the most 'game' in the BuLi, and if they play West Ham it's highly likely that there will be some degree of fireworks, literally and figuratively, simply because of the famous reputation of West Ham's firm, which makes it a 'scalp' that foreign hooligans/ultras consider highly desirable.
Yeah, it definitely follows them. Not that they don't have their own idiots of course, but in cases like the last one where they are by no means instigators it's just another case of "West Ham gone wild". The days of a "West Ham firm" were nearly 40 years ago, crazy how that stuff sticks. I blame Elijah Wood.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Champions League is. Europa is generally more entertaining and unpredictable.

Honestly loving the SF line-ups in the Europa and Conference leagues. The latter was seen as a bit of a joke in England when it was first announced, but watching the Leicester game last night you could see how much it meant to the players.

That game had proper, old-school, Cup Winners Cup vibes, in an era when European nights really were special occasions, not just another league fixture like so much of the Champions League is now.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Worth saying also when it's positive.
After Leicester acted like pigs in the Rennes lockerroom and Rennes implied it wasn't the first time with english teams (I'm looking at you Arsenal), West Ham players were extremely respectful in their behaviour in the lockerroom. I didn't expect it after the arrogance of Marcos Antonio presser, but they did so kudos to them.

Reactions: cgf

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Worth saying also when it's positive.
After Leicester acted like pigs in the Rennes lockerroom and Rennes implied it wasn't the first time with english teams (I'm looking at you Arsenal), West Ham players were extremely respectful in their behaviour in the lockerroom. I didn't expect it after the arrogance of Marcos Antonio presser, but they did so kudos to them.
Marcos Antonio? Who's Marcos Antonio?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad