WJC: U18 WJC Quarterfinal Finland vs Sweden game thread.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Vesterinens accuracy, I mean come on...

Give us a USA vs Canada in the final please.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Hemming lacks so much finesse. Is it a question of IQ perhaps? His worst games have clearly been those two that mattered.
Helenius and Kiviharju also very lacklustering but Hemming on another level.

But Saarelainen again, our best player so far.

Reactions: jj cale

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
V*TTU! Finnish PP complete disaster! Well deserved loss. Yeah, deserved loss. I ain't impressed by Sweden either but Finland just deserves to lose with this performance no matter how Sweden performed.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
1. Neutrally the worst and most boring playoff game between these rivals.
2. The intensity, grit, but also the creativity and individual skill level has been so atrocious I'm actually mad I've kept on wasting time on this shit of a game.
3. Even if Finland is clearly worse I'm surprised both were so bad. Hope I' ll never have to witness anything like this again.

Fire the coach immediately. I don't even give a f*ck about how untalented and bad the players actually are. The system wasn't good but what was even worse? I didn't see any passion or fire in anyone with Saarelainen being the exception.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Wowza. Did not expect that. And without our top offensive player in the lineup.
Sweden played their best game today. Less crappy passes, less pointless penalties etc.

Thought the fourth line stepped up considerably. I have not been a fan of that checking-line. They completely lack speed, but they played a very good game today.

Härenstam has the good trait of always playing his best when it matters the most. To be honest, many of the goals he has allowed in this tourney have been borderline "softies", but on the other hand, he has made some quite tricky saves as well.

As for Finland, expected more of their hyped players. Kiviharju was a better player at age 16 in this tournament than he is now. Then again, not sure how far from 100% shape he is considering his long-term injury.

So, Sweden vs. Slovakia in the bronze medal game then... ;)

Reactions: hockeyprospects9

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
I expected more from Helenius in this tournament. He was playing so good in Liiga playoffs and with national team. He should be dominating against kids his own age, but he's not.
Helenius might be still that 2006 born player who might play 100 / 100+ NHL games.

Härenstam is him
Future NHL goalie.
Some NHL GM will be very happy to get draft him next year ( 2025 ).

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Congrats Sweden. Well deserved win. I hope you can step up the level when facing an actual good and tough opponent :)

Last edited:
Reactions: ZEBROA

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Whole Finnish hockey's junior development program and model should be done now.
Time to ignore all team game tactics etc and make skating, shooting and goal-scoring main priorties.

If we don't have resources
then bring those coaches from hockey Canada, USA hockey and Sweden hockey.
HERÄTYS JÄÄKIEKKO LIITTO.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Whole Finnish hockey's junior development program and model should be done now.
Time to ignore all team game tactics etc and make skating, shooting and goal-scoring main priorties.

If we don't have resources
then bring those coaches from hockey Canada, USA hockey and Sweden hockey.
HERÄTYS JÄÄKIEKKO LIITTO.
I would love if Liitto could embrace the US system. Canada is and will always be good and they have unmatched hockey culture.
But when it comes to skating and perhaps even stickhandling and shooting and the eagerness to always create something I feel like the junior system in the US is inspiring and ahead of others.
They always have a couple of those players no matter what year it is. And they are good skaters almost every single time and the skill level is always top notch.
Example of prospects:
Even if Eichel and Matthews were excellent and still are. Those typical US youth players who witness about something in their system for me are: Hughes brothers, Keller, Fox, Caufield, Zegras, younger J hockey, Kane, Cooley, DeBrincat, Beniers.
I feel like those mentioned players aren't just slump or highly talented individuals. They seem very well schooled in some kind of way. Especially individually.

Last edited:

WayTooCold

Jun 9, 2023
Well what do you expect. Finnish players don't see the sun whole year. It's cold and dark. Our players are physically weaker and mentally unstable. They kinda live in sauna all the time.
The last 5 years there has been just 1 top 10 pick from Finland.

Finland is producing quantity not quality.

Kaapo Kakko #2 2019. Kinda bust if doesn't get his act to together soon.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Finland defeated the "small" country's but lost to big country's, same thing happened at U20 worlds. Finland is so far behind of the big 3, fat cats in FIHA should wake to F up. Otherwise this trend won't stop.

Congrats Sweden.
You basically took all words out of my mouth.
I agree 150000% with this.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $2,330.00
    Event closes