Value of: Tyler Seguin

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

callan819

Mar 22, 2011
Obviously everyone knows Klingberg wants out of Dallas, but Seguins production has regressed over the last 4 seasons and with him having that serious surgery on his hip and shoulder after the playoffs, he just has not been the same player, plus he has that new contract paying nearly 9.85 for another 5 seasons after this year.

Having said all that, I still feel like there are teams that would be willing to take him on and try him out (with salary going the other way of course). Just kinda curious what you guys think would be fair value.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
His contract is an absolute nightmare. Best bet is to hold onto him and hope he turns it around. Duchene is back at a PPG this season after being completely written off. Still a bad contract but more palatable when your top line player plays like a top line player.

Seguin is a year younger than Duchene so maybe there is hope although hip and knees are dicey. Is the bad play this year simply recovery period or a guy whose explosiveness and peak ability have been wrecked? Back with Benn and Gurianov it seems, maybe they start clicking. But nobody is going to take that contract to find out right now.

callan819

Mar 22, 2011
The only guy I could think of who has similar value is OEL just due to the fact they both make 8+ million each and both expire the same year, but obvs Vancouver wouldn't flip him after just one season.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
To wit...nobody is touching this on a guy who will be 30 later this month, is coming off extremely serious injuries and is going to be paid nearly $10 million a year for 5 years after this season.

Not without ridiculous compensation and eating of some of that massive contract - at which point, if you are Dallas, you might as well just hold onto him and see if he can regain form. Which, he could - I'm not saying that won't happen. Just that no other team is going to take the risk to find out.

isB2QVn.png

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
His contract is an absolute nightmare. Best bet is to hold onto him and hope he turns it around. Duchene is back at a PPG this season after being completely written off. Still a bad contract but more palatable when your top line player plays like a top line player.

Seguin is a year younger than Duchene so maybe there is hope although hip and knees are dicey. Is the bad play this year simply recovery period or a guy whose explosiveness and peak ability have been wrecked? Back with Benn and Gurianov it seems, maybe they start clicking. But nobody is going to take that contract to find out right now.

Top line salary, sure, but he hasn't been a top line player in Dallas for a few years now. :help:

It's a damn shame, too, because he's had some fantastic seasons in Dallas.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Obviously everyone knows Klingberg wants out of Dallas, but Seguins production has regressed over the last 4 seasons and with him having that serious surgery on his hip and shoulder after the playoffs, he just has not been the same player, plus he has that new contract paying nearly 9.85 for another 5 seasons after this year.

Having said all that, I still feel like there are teams that would be willing to take him on and try him out (with salary going the other way of course). Just kinda curious what you guys think would be fair value.

Disagree, total anchor and albatross contract that DAL is stuck with for now.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Dallas would have to eat 50% AND pay another team to eat half of the remaining 50% to facilitate a transaction. Maybe they get a 2nd rounder in 2023

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Sad to see him fall so badly in production, but hip injuries are no joke and his game was predicated on speed and his one timer - both seem to have left him and he's now a shell of his former self.

Reactions: BKarchitect

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
You have to take back at least 50% cap and give someone a pick to take him

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
Dallas would have to eat 50% AND pay another team to eat half of the remaining 50% to facilitate a transaction. Maybe they get a 2nd rounder in 2023
That’s a bit over dramatic. You think Seguin is only worth 2.5 mill a year? Sure he is not performing at 9.8 but you are way off on all that retaining.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Seguin @ 7M(Dal retains 2.85M) to Arizona Seguin @ 4.5M(Ari retains 2.5M) to Calgary for Backlund + 2nd(22) + 2nd(24) + 1st(23)
Dallas gets Backlund + 2nd(22) + 2nd(24)
Arizona gets 1st(23) and Dals 3rd(22)
Calgary gets Seguin @ 4.5M

I don't think Dallas would want to retain more than 3M, so I have Arizona in there.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
That’s a bit over dramatic. You think Seguin is only worth 2.5 mill a year? Sure he is not performing at 9.8 but you are way off on all that retaining.

With that contract and his current rate of production?

Hes a 30-35 point player.

I wouldn't want him anywhere near the Rangers.

Until he proves otherwise, hes damaged goods.

guzzy

Jul 6, 2005
Lucic - the deal is one for one.
JK.
But in reality they are identical in points for the year/

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Seguin @ 7M(Dal retains 2.85M) to Arizona Seguin @ 4.5M(Ari retains 2.5M) to Calgary for Backlund + 2nd(22) + 2nd(24) + 1st(23)
Dallas gets Backlund + 2nd(22) + 2nd(24)
Arizona gets 1st(23) and Dals 3rd(22)
Calgary gets Seguin @ 4.5M

I don't think Dallas would want to retain more than 3M, so I have Arizona in there.

I'm very confused.

You'd give up a 1st and two 2nds to pay Seguin 850k less than Backlund but for 5 more years instead of Backlund's 2?

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
With that contract and his current rate of production?

Hes a 30-35 point player.

I wouldn't want him anywhere near the Rangers.

Until he proves otherwise, hes damaged goods.
True he has to prove himself. He is still struggling with the surgeries. I would not say he will be worth his contract but what you are saying is a bit insane. It is also not just points he provides a ton of metics you clearly don’t pay attention too.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Sad to see him fall so badly in production, but hip injuries are no joke and his game was predicated on speed and his one timer - both seem to have left him and he's now a shell of his former self.
Yeah, he had good enough puck control, but his elite skills were always his straight-line explosiveness and speed in addition to a hard shot. If he doesn't regain those there's not a whole lot noteworthy left.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Lucic - the deal is one for one.
JK.
But in reality they are identical in points for the year/

Funny thing is Calgary would laugh at that. Lucic has 1 year left, Seguin 5. Dallas could retain 50% and Calgary likely still says no.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017

Yikes! I've never seen a supposed star player disappear like Seguin does. I barely notice him most of the times we play the Stars.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
True he has to prove himself. He is still struggling with the surgeries. I would not say he will be worth his contract but what you are saying is a bit insane. It is also not just points he provides a ton of metics you clearly don’t pay attention too.

That may be, and that's a fair point.

Much in the way that I didn't think too highly of Tarasenko's value coming into this season, I did post with the caveat that until he demonstrates that he's healthy and ready to go, his value is extremely limited.

Seguin, unfortunately, at this juncture has a bit more baggage in that he's dealing with a Hip issue (can be treated) but he also has 5 years after this one at almost $10milliom per. the combination really hampers his value regardless of the underlying metrics.

Just like I wished for Vladimir to get healthy again, I hope the same for Tyler, but until then, he's a player with near negative value.

The scenario I laid out is probably a bit hyperbole, but RIGHT NOW? Dallas is not moving him without eating 50% and taking back an albatross of a contract.

I wish Tyler all the best. I like him as a plyer much as I like Tarasenko.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
I'm very confused.

You'd give up a 1st and two 2nds to pay Seguin 850k less than Backlund but for 5 more years instead of Backlund's 2?

Well the cap retention would be the picks to pretty much swap Backlund for Seguin, I'd try a Monahan-Seguin-Mang/Dube, a change of scenery may kick Tyler in the butt, if he doesn't work out on that line he can play with Coleman/Dube/Mang, I don't believe Seguin is done yet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad