Confirmed with Link: Tyler Motte 1 year 800k

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
I had hopes for Joey, but he seems to decline into mediocrity more than show signs of future improvement. At this point Kasper has a higher, even if not guaranteed, ceiling. I don't think the team gets worse with that substitution, and I think Kasper would be both more unpleasant, and more creative...
I'm totally fine letting him develop his offense in GR. That's probably the right move for his progress. I still think he would make the other team's life harder than Joey does.
He basically matched his career high in pts by game 60 and then slowed waaaay down. That is not a "decline into mediocrity". He almost scored as much as Fabbri, Copp and Moose with less ice time. Pretty sure that 28pts are in the top percentile for 4th liners. Can he play better and be more consistent, i hope so. But saying he doesnt develop or is regressing even is just factually incorrect.

Last edited:
Reactions: sepster

Austrianwing

Apr 29, 2021
He basically matched his career high in pts by game 60 and then slowed waaaay down. That is not a "decline into mediocrity". He almost scored as much as Fabbri, Copp and Moose with less ice time. Pretty sure that 28pts are in the top percentile for 4th liners. Can he play better and be more consistent, i hope so. But saying he doesnt develop or is regressing even is just factually incorrect.
I'm not saying that he is useless. I'm not saying that he can not improve and/or have an NHL career. I'm certainly not saying that we should dump him. I'm was just saying that Kasper has the potential to be a more dynamic player, and might actually be a bigger pain in the ass to play against centering the 4th even this season.
I hope Joey figures out how to Impose his will using his skating and physical gifts. He has the tools, but he only seems to use them effectively for brief stretches. If he doesn't figure out how to take a step, he is going to just end up being Copp light.
Edit: Just to clarify, "seems to decline into mediocrity" was not saying that he is declining as a player on the average. It's that the moment he starts getting hot, he doesn't keep that up, he just follows a brief positive with weeks of mediocrity.

Last edited:
Reactions: Winged Wheel Willy

jaster

Future Inconsiderations
Jun 8, 2007
Veleno is a low-IQ player. Tools with no toolbox. He is what he is at this point, there isn’t any higher ceiling to be achieved. He’s filler, and if a good prospect is ready to take his spot, he’s an easy jettison.

That said, I’m not sure I want Kasper taking his spot as a 4th-line center in Detroit. I’d rather he gets a bigger role in GR for development purposes.

Reactions: Stony Curtis

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
For what he costs, I think Veleno did pretty good last year, and I definitely saw improvement from the year before. Will he ever be an offensive threat? Probably not, but he can be a pretty good low cost depth player.

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Veleno is a low-IQ player. Tools with no toolbox. He is what he is at this point, there isn’t any higher ceiling to be achieved. He’s filler, and if a good prospect is ready to take his spot, he’s an easy jettison.

That said, I’m not sure I want Kasper taking his spot as a 4th-line center in Detroit. I’d rather he gets a bigger role in GR for development purposes.
We only have 9 forwards signed, 8 if you remove Veleno. I think we are getting a decent influx of prospects on the roster. Mazur and Kasper seem most likely to make the roster. You can add Mazur, Danielson, Kasper and Söderblom and the cap hit is basically $3.6 million for all 4 forwards. Berggren turned down a $2 million AAV contract. He may have priced himself out of the starting lineup.

Reactions: PelagicJoe

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
We only have 9 forwards signed, 8 if you remove Veleno. I think we are getting a decent influx of prospects on the roster. Mazur and Kasper seem most likely to make the roster. You can add Mazur, Danielson, Kasper and Söderblom and the cap hit is basically $3.6 million for all 4 forwards. Berggren turned down a $2 million AAV contract. He may have priced himself out of the starting lineup.
Where did it say that Berggren turned down 2 mill AAV?

Where did it say that Berggren turned down 2 mill AAV?

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
how does the "Yzerman didnt make many moves to allow a roster spot for the kids" crowd feel about this one?

wonder who he'll block? Likely Kasper or Mazur lol

he's from Michigan though, Steve just couldn't resist!

Perron and Sprong gone.
Motte and Berggren in.

Ras - Larkin - Raymond
Cat - Compher - Kane
Fabbri - Veleno - Berggren
Motte - Copp - Fischer

That's about it.
I thought the plan was to play prospects?

jaster

Future Inconsiderations
Jun 8, 2007
Larkin
Cat
Copp
Compher
Fabbri
Kane
Ras
Fischer
Motte

That’s 9. And I don’t think we have much to worry about Raymond, so that’s 10. Veleno and Berggren in play as 11 and 12.

In terms of adding more prospects, maybe, I dunno, still a lot of offseason left.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Larkin
Cat
Copp
Compher
Fabbri
Kane
Ras
Fischer
Motte

That’s 9. And I don’t think we have much to worry about Raymond, so that’s 10. Veleno and Berggren in play as 11 and 12.

In terms of adding more prospects, maybe, I dunno, still a lot of offseason left.
Berggren rejected an offer back in Feb and Steve's interviews seem to suggest Mazur and Kasper could wind up in Detroit. The fact a deal hasn't been done with either Berggren or Veleno is interesting. You can understand taking your time with deals for Ray and Mo, with Joe and Jonatan, not so much. Add in the addition of Motte on a rock bottom contract and I suspect we are filling the roster with guys who make less than $1 mil.

jaster

Future Inconsiderations
Jun 8, 2007
Berggren rejected an offer back in Feb and Steve's interviews seem to suggest Mazur and Kasper could wind up in Detroit. The fact a deal hasn't been done with either Berggren or Veleno is interesting. You can understand taking your time with deals for Ray and Mo, with Joe and Jonatan, not so much. Add in the addition of Motte on a rock bottom contract and I suspect we are filling the roster with guys who make less than $1 mil.
Berggren not wanting to be here, and the Wings not wanting Veleno would not surprise me. But it is conjecture. Just one of many ways the rest of this offseason can go. And I have a hard time seeing both Kasper and Mazur making the opening night roster, just not the way the Wings operate. Maybe one opening night and one halfway through the season or something.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Berggren not wanting to be here, and the Wings not wanting Veleno would not surprise me. But it is conjecture. Just one of many ways the rest of this offseason can go. And I have a hard time seeing both Kasper and Mazur making the opening night roster, just not the way the Wings operate. Maybe one opening night and one halfway through the season or something.
I don't think Berggren doesn't want to be in Detroit. I'm fairly certain he doesn't want to be in GR, or paid as if that's all he's good for.

Larkin didn't take his first offer either...

Reactions: jaster and lilidk

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
The "Berggren rejecting Detroit's offer" story always seemed blown out of proportion to me. Didn't that come from Pagnotta? It could've just been routine negotiations but the implication from Pagnotta was that he didn't want to be part of the organization any longer.

Reactions: norrisnick

Mr Nimbus

May 27, 2022
London
This off-season perplexes me. I'm not for signing just for the sake of signing, and glad we didn't give out that stamkos contract. But what's the timeline here? It's already been 5 years. And it looks like we'll miss the playoffs again this year. I just want some clarification.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
how does the "Yzerman didnt make many moves to allow a roster spot for the kids" crowd feel about this one?

wonder who he'll block? Likely Kasper or Mazur lol

he's from Michigan though, Steve just couldn't resist!

I thought the plan was to play prospects?

No.

Stevie said clearly on his last presser, that he doesn't plan rookies at Top12 offence.

He has done now exactly that.

Berggren will be there, he is not a rookie.

And Edvinsson could be at defence. The discussion about kids was based on only forwards.

Everything else will need injuries. If you like kids on the roster.

That's how he informed us before draft.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
This off-season perplexes me. I'm not for signing just for the sake of signing, and glad we didn't give out that stamkos contract. But what's the timeline here? It's already been 5 years. And it looks like we'll miss the playoffs again this year. I just want some clarification.
With a little bit of wish-casting, here is the 2025-26 lineup.

Cat - Larkin - Ray
X - Danielson - MBN
Mazur - Kasper
-X
Rasmussen - Copp - X

Simon Edvinsson - Mo Seider
Albert Johansson
- Axel Sandin-Pelikka
William Wallinder
- X
Buium

Cossa

X

All the bolded guys are obviously home grown. I have no idea what the future holds for Berggren or Veleno. If all goes according to plan, we are solid at center, in our top 4 on defense, and in goal. We need wingers and a #6 d-man which are the easiest players to acquire. Maybe we splurge on a scoring line center if there is a fit.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
That line is gonna be lucky to score 20 pts combined.

Put Kasper in that situation, and his career trajectory will wind up being the same as Joey's. Let him work on his offense in GR.
The point of a fourth line in lalonde system is not to score or provide points. Yeah it’d be great if they did but they aren’t there for that. If this was gallants team construction and system, then it’d be a terrible
Naw. That line wouldn't have a single shot on net all season.
they probably wouldn't have much goals against though, and that is what yzerman is trying to do

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad