Player Discussion Ty Emberson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Having watched him for a couple of pre-season games (yeah, I know it's a massive sample size!) here's my take.

I see potential in this player. He's a decent passer, seems pretty solid defensively and doesn't mind blocking shots or playing physical.

The 2 things that IMO he needs to focus on improving if he's planning on being a top 4 guy:

1) Knowing when to jump into the play and when to play more conservatively. I worry that him and Nurse will take turns making ill advised pinches.

2) Not always chasing the big hit. I love physical play but you can't just run around against high end competition and not get burned.

He literally only has 30 NHL games under his belt so I suspect that there is a lot of room for growth in his game. He'll be an interesting player to watch this season.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Having watched him for a couple of pre-season games (yeah, I know it's a massive sample size!) here's my take.

I see potential in this player. He's a decent passer, seems pretty solid defensively and doesn't mind blocking shots or playing physical.

The 2 things that IMO he needs to focus on improving if he's planning on being a top 4 guy:

1) Knowing when to jump into the play and when to play more conservatively. I worry that him and Nurse will take turns making ill advised pinches.

2) Not always chasing the big hit. I love physical play but you can't just run around against high end competition and not get burned.

He literally only has 30 NHL games under his belt so I suspect that there is a lot of room for growth in his game. He'll be an interesting player to watch this season.
Seems capable of third pair but not top 4 which poses a big problem.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
He's got definitive top 4 potential but we can't just force it out of him. He's for sure going to make mistakes so I wish we didn't have to rush him. I just hope a trade for a top4 Dman falls in our lap in October

Reactions: VeteranPresence

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
None of the D we've played have looked all that capable. Teams going through us like swiss cheese. I realize this is on limited roster being in, and some lack of forward help as well but these have been trouncings, all of them.

A little worried because this is how last regular season started. Another point is that nobody is cashing. Nobody seems really on.

Watched all the highlights and Skinne wasn't even bad. It could've been 8 goals against him. non existent structure and defending.

Reactions: voxel

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I think the plan should be to ease him in on the third pair. Put him in a role where the expectation is to replace Vinny vs. Ceci to start with. I think starting next to Kulak is the perfect spot for him.

Stecher's not an ideal top 4 option, but he does have nearly 500 NHL games played, a majority of those in a top 4 role; plus him and Nurse looked good together last year (in limited minutes). He's the option you toss into the fire, while you give Emberson more time in the frying pan.

Reactions: Jarvi and Faelko

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
None of the D we've played have looked all that capable. Teams going through us like swiss cheese. I realize this is on limited roster being in, and some lack of forward help as well but these have been trouncings, all of them.

A little worried because this is how last regular season started. Another point is that nobody is cashing. Nobody seems really on.

Watched all the highlights and Skinne wasn't even bad. It could've been 8 goals against him. non existent structure and defending.

I loathe to get too caught up in the results of pre-season, but I also brushed off our poor pre-season last year and we all saw what happened. This team is physically incapable of just flipping a switch to "on" when they need to unless they basically have a gun to their head, we've seen it repeatedly.

I agree that they need to get a solid effort or two underneath them prior to October 9, because I have my doubts that they will be able to flip the switch if they play 4 more limp games with no real indication of execution or fluidity in their game. Not asking for the moon, but for the love of god just look competent.

Time to get more members of the actual NHL roster out on defence to see what they can actually do. Throwing Emberson out with Kulak against a near full Jets roster with nobody competent on the other two pairs is not the way to evaluate or integrate talent.

On The Prowl

Mar 13, 2024
We need a trade for a top 4 Right D, I don't see Emberson being that guy but you never know until the real season starts.

VeteranPresence

Aug 13, 2024
I agree there are flashes of top 4 potential here, but the fairest thing for him and the org is third pairing duties out of the gate next to Kulak. That means we still badly need a partner for Nurse, and with the days before the season ticking down, it's a harder and harder ask- even more now with LA in the market for a top four RHD given Doughty's injury.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I loathe to get too caught up in the results of pre-season, but I also brushed off our poor pre-season last year and we all saw what happened. This team is physically incapable of just flipping a switch to "on" when they need to unless they basically have a gun to their head, we've seen it repeatedly.

I agree that they need to get a solid effort or two underneath them prior to October 9, because I have my doubts that they will be able to flip the switch if they play 4 more limp games with no real indication of execution or fluidity in their game. Not asking for the moon, but for the love of god just look competent.

Time to get more members of the actual NHL roster out on defence to see what they can actually do. Throwing Emberson out with Kulak against a near full Jets roster with nobody competent on the other two pairs is not the way to evaluate or integrate talent.

Last pre-season they looked good. 5-2-1, headlined by Campbell looking amazing and Brown leading the team in goalscoring.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I agree there are flashes of top 4 potential here, but the fairest thing for him and the org is third pairing duties out of the gate next to Kulak. That means we still badly need a partner for Nurse, and with the days before the season ticking down, it's a harder and harder ask- even more now with LA in the market for a top four RHD given Doughty's injury.

I'm not sure the Kings are really going to be much of a concern in that respect. By the time that type of defenseman is available they might not even be in the playoff picture.

I thought they were going to suck this year even before Doughty went down, now I don't know if they really get that close to the playoffs.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Last pre-season they looked good. 5-2-1, headlined by Campbell looking amazing and Brown leading the team in goalscoring.

I don't think they did though despite the W-L record. They got blown out by the Nucks in the only pre-season game that they actually dressed a roster for, and some of those games were strange and uneven. The only game the big guns really performed in was one at home against the Flames, but they sent up a roster similar to the one we sent to Winnipeg, and I think the Oil had to even come back in that one.

Going purely on memory, but the team just didn't feel right.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I don't think they did though despite the W-L record. They got blown out by the Nucks in the only pre-season game that they actually dressed a roster for, and some of those games were strange and uneven. The only game the big guns really performed in was one at home against the Flames, but they sent up a roster similar to the one we sent to Winnipeg, and I think the Oil had to even come back in that one.

Going purely on memory, but the team just didn't feel right.
In their defence this team was one win away from a Stanley Cup so the games at this point in time are as low as it gets in terms of intensity. So I am not very concerned about the preseason at all.

I think one major difference between the start of this Regular season (and last season) is going to be preparation.
IMO Knoblauch is a big step up from Woody and to extend that even more...the coaching staff in general is an upgrade.
Lastly...the boys are well aware of their start last season and how it nearly sewered their season.
I would be really surprised if that happens again.

Last edited:
Reactions: McAsuno

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
In their defence this team was one win away from a Stanley Cup so the games at this point on time are as low as it gets in terms of intensity.

I think one major difference between the start of this season (and last season) is going to be preparation.
IMO Knoblauch is a big step up from Woody and to extend that even more...the coaching staff in general is an upgrade.
Lastly...the boys are well aware of their start last season and how it nearly sewered their season.

I'm with you on all points - only thing in the back of my head is the "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me."

This team has fooled me out of the gate constantly. Every single time I think "that's it, the lesson is finally learned, no way they do that again" they always find a way to do it again. Until they prove otherwise, I can't help but think they could sleep walk into a shit start again. Not as bad as last year, but maybe similar to 22-23.

Stealth1616

Oct 12, 2019
Seems to be a perfect guy to have as a 3rd pairing D. Somewhat young guy with some potential to be more.

Unfortunately we do not have a 2D and he is going to be put in a sink or swim scenario

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I'm with you on all points - only thing in the back of my head is the "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me."

This team has fooled me out of the gate constantly. Every single time I think "that's it, the lesson is finally learned, no way they do that again" they always find a way to do it again. Until they prove otherwise, I can't help but think they could sleep walk into a shit start again. Not as bad as last year, but maybe similar to 22-23.
I completely get where you are coming from here. There is an element of fan 'trauma' being an Oilers fan the last 20 years...so its time for the team to shut up and step up.
No more talk of cup or bust or being better or anything like that.
Just quietly show up and get the job done.
Do your talking on the ice.
Time to 'dig in'.

Reactions: K1984

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
He has good tools and seems to have a good Hockey IQ. People just need to be patient, he's still young, inexperienced and he's playing in a new system although there should be familiarity with Knoblauch.

I've seen too many posts in the GDT determining what he is already because he made some mistakes in his 2nd preseason game on a skeleton roster playing a legit NHL roster or like this one...

Seems capable of third pair but not top 4 which poses a big problem.
Give it time, I think there's a player here but it won't happen for him right off the bat most likely. Let him breathe and grow into a role before dooming him to failure.

Reactions: North

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
In their defence this team was one win away from a Stanley Cup so the games at this point on time are as low as it gets in terms of intensity. So I not very concerned about the preseason at all.

I think one major difference between the start of this Regular season (and last season) is going to be preparation.

Gotta trim the remaining fat right away with the remainder of preseason to go and get the actual team ready. One mistake Woody did was continuing to let AHL players on the preseason roster before the actual season started imo.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Looking at projections on yahoo for this season, Emberson can lead the league Dmen in hits this season with 250+

A little unexpected

Seems to be a perfect guy to have as a 3rd pairing D. Somewhat young guy with some potential to be more.

Unfortunately we do not have a 2D and he is going to be put in a sink or swim scenario
That's fine, we have Stecher and Brown for 3rd pairing already and need someone to gel with Nurse. Doesn't have to be a legit top 4 Dman..

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Gotta trim the remaining fat right away with the remainder of preseason to go and get the actual team ready. One mistake Woody did was continuing to let AHL players on the preseason roster before the actual season started imo.
100%
I couldnt agree more.
The NHL version of this team needs to hit the ground running in game 1 and that becomes much less likely without some momentum from the preseason.
They have 4 preseason games left so, with the exception of 1 or 2 players, we should be watching the NHL version of this team starting Saturday against Seattle.

Reactions: McAsuno

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
100%
I couldnt agree more.
The NHL version of this team needs to hit the ground running in game 1 and that becomes much less likely without some momentum from the preseason.
They have 4 preseason games left so, with the exception of 1 or 2 players, we should be watching the NHL version of this team starting Saturday against Seattle.

Listening to Knoblach yesterday, it sounds like all the NHLers should be playing 4 games and so far the only expected "NHLers" that have played 2 games are J Brown, Ryan, Podkholzin and Emberson.

Over 4 games that's 48 foward games available and 24 defense games available.

With 12 forwards essentially locked up and Ryan and Podkhozin already having 2 games, That means at least 34 of the forward games are already claimed with 14 games to be divied up between the long shots.

With the 7 dmen expected and Emberson and Brown already having 2 games, that means that likely 19 games are claimed (or at least 16 if Nurse can't go). This leaves 5-8 games available for long shots (or to give Brown/Emberson/Stetcher a 5th look).

So that's how I'm forseeing the splits from here on out. I suspect we'll be seeing 5 or 6 of the likely 7 dmen in each of the games and 9 or 10 of the likely forwards in each game, with a slight chance that the game in Seattle next week potentially featuring a little less of each ( ie. 4-5 dmen and 7-9 forwards).

Personally I'm hoping they go with at least 2 of the 3 expected top 3 lines playing in every game fully in tact and all 3 of the top 3 lines dressing in the final pre-season game building chemistry towards Game 1.

Reactions: K1984

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad