Two USHL joining the OHL

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
The OHL already has too many teams with the majority in the western part of the Province we don’t need more. Which division and conference would these teams play in? Brantford and Niagara should be in the Western Conference.

Reactions: three dog night

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
The OHL already has too many teams with the majority in the western part of the Province we don’t need more. Which division and conference would these teams play in? Brantford and Niagara should be in the Western Conference.
League wouldn't sit with 22 teams for very long. If this happened look for expansion not soon after. I like the idea of Gatineau and Belleville mentioned in the other thread

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Never understood why Niagara is in the east.

Atleast from Kingston the drive to St. Catharines is 3 hours and 41 mins. Guelph is 3 hours and 23 mins away. Kitchener 3 hours 33 mins

If 2 USHL teams came into the league I’d think that they’d move Kitchener and Guelph to the east and put the American teams in the west. Also create a US division just like how the WHL has it so all the American teams (would be 5) play eachother the most

League wouldn't sit with 22 teams for very long. If this happened look for expansion not soon after. I like the idea of Gatineau and Belleville mentioned in the other thread
About the 22 teams- why not? WHL has 22 teams. Only thing is though however- the Q has 18. Not sure what they would do.

I do believe Belleville should get another chance absolutely even if they share the rink with the Belleville senators

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Never understood why Niagara is in the east.

Atleast from Kingston the drive to St. Catharines is 3 hours and 41 mins. Guelph is 3 hours and 23 mins away. Kitchener 3 hours 33 mins

If 2 USHL teams came into the league I’d think that they’d move Kitchener and Guelph to the east and put the American teams in the west. Also create a US division just like how the WHL has it so all the American teams (would be 5) play eachother the most

About the 22 teams- why not? WHL has 22 teams. Only thing is though however- the Q has 18. Not sure what they would do.

I do believe Belleville should get another chance absolutely even if they share the rink with the Belleville senators

St Catherines to Guelph is 110 km
St Catherines to Kingston is 372 km
I like the idea of a three division league. If London was in new west division with another US team, there could be a 7 team central, still no good answer for the east.

Last edited:

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
obviously st Catherine’s is closer to Guelph. That’s not at all what I’m trying to say. I’m saying if you started a day trip from Kingston to St Catherine’s or Guelph- st Catherine’s is further but in the east.

Last edited:

Otto

I like the idea of a three division league. If London was in new west division with another US team, there could be a 7 team central, still no good answer for the east.
I can't see them going with a 3 division league. How would playoffs work?

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
The previously popular "Top 16 overall"? Division winners + five top records otherwise? Baseball has figured it out, somewhat.
That can be a travel nightmare for teams in the playoffs. The OHL had a three division format from 1994 until 1998. The playoffs had teams play within their division in the first round and in the second round the playoffs were league wide with teams ranked 1 through 8 with 1st place teams were ranked 1-3 and the others ranked 4-8. In 1996 the Petes played Kingston in the first round and then had to play Sarnia, Detroit and Guelph in the next three rounds in their championship run.

Reactions: OHLTG

Otto

The previously popular "Top 16 overall"? Division winners + five top records otherwise? Baseball has figured it out, somewhat.
Baseball can afford the travel. An Ottawa/ Muskegon or Soo/Youngstown first round would be brutal. I'd see them do playoffs as 4 divisions and keeping the first 3 rounds in division first before a top 16 scenario

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Baseball can afford the travel. An Ottawa/ Muskegon or Soo/Youngstown first round would be brutal. I'd see them do playoffs as 4 divisions and keeping the first 3 rounds in division first before a top 16 scenario

Apparently it is unpopular for hockey, or maybe less lucrative with less days between games; but I think 2-3-2 or 2-2-2-1 is interesting.

donjohnson

Jan 29, 2013
As a Saginaw fan I don't like the idea of an "American" division. What I like about the OHL is that we're integrated into the ONTARIO hockey league and if we played the majority of our games against the American teams I think it would segregate us.

For years and years many of us have felt that the league officiated us differently because we were a new US team. Over the past few years it's finally felt different (like we belong) and of course now that we had Hache play for a year, we'll get every call because well...Papa Hache :)

My fear is that we'd go back to feeling like an outsider and that the league would become Ontario-centric despite the addition of the American teams. I love being a part of this league and it was awesome to be able to show off our town and hockey fandom during the Memorial Cup...for the first time I feel like we're a legit part of this league and separating us into an American division may be a step backward.

Otto

As a Saginaw fan I don't like the idea of an "American" division. What I like about the OHL is that we're integrated into the ONTARIO hockey league and if we played the majority of our games against the American teams I think it would segregate us.

For years and years many of us have felt that the league officiated us differently because we were a new US team. Over the past few years it's finally felt different (like we belong) and of course now that we had Hache play for a year, we'll get every call because well...Papa Hache :)

My fear is that we'd go back to feeling like an outsider and that the league would become Ontario-centric despite the addition of the American teams. I love being a part of this league and it was awesome to be able to show off our town and hockey fandom during the Memorial Cup...for the first time I feel like we're a legit part of this league and separating us into an American division may be a step backward.
Wouldn't happen anyway. Erie to Muskegon is almost 7 hours. Zero chance they would have division opponents that far away. Also, it would create a travel nightmare for Sault Ste. Marie to have them in another division.

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
I think people being so use to the OHL always staying the same and never really pushing for change will make people skeptical about any major changes.
The new commish does seem like he wants to make a splash though.

Reactions: OMG67

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

Bah! Don’t kid yourself. We’ve already segregated you! :cool:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad