Player Discussion Tuukka Rask - VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
The Boston sports media is one of the most ravenous in the nation. Rask leaving the bubble is like serving up prime rib to local Sports writers and radio.
Have you not noticed how most have refused to touch this situation? They won't even talk about it.

Maybe the reason is that a select few people actually know what is happening and have decided to protect the family's privacy?

You say you have kids. Have you never conceived of a situation that could be told to you over the phone that would make you leave your job even though it meant you would be hated for it and might even lose your position?

I can.

There are situations that can happen in a family that you don't want to get out. I've had friends tell me about medical issues with their kids in confidence that I will take to my grave without telling people because it's both serious and embarrassing. Deformities, embarrassing medical conditions that cause socially crippling side effects, suicide attempts, etc, etc, etc.
These things getting out would hurt the family, so those who know keep quiet about them to protect the ones they love. Please respect that.

If one of Rask's daughter called him in tears saying she has not been able to sleep at night because she is afraid with him gone in this pandemic then I would not fault him one iota for going home. And that's on the lighter side of possible reasons. For all we know it could be something serious.
Remember last December when McAvoy went to the hospital for a serious heart issue? It was treated and is being monitored and he was and IS fine. What if the Rask family is dealing with similar issues? They are fine NOW, but might not be in the future.

We don't know.

No one else needs to know. Especially any sports fans who have no business knowing YET demanding to know that reason.

Family > Job

100% of the time.
It’s funny or maybe not, but 99.9% of people criticizing him would do the same. People with kids know. The ones without you can understand. Before I had kids, my views were different.

I would leave in a micro second. f*** hockey and the fans.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
It’s funny or maybe not, but 99.9% of people criticizing him would do the same. People with kids know. The ones without you can understand. Before I had kids, my views were different.

I would leave in a micro second. f*** hockey and the fans.

Amen

i was pretty heated at first, especially with his performance to that day and his comments. Soon as i heard the reason i of course did an immediate about face and I’m not afraid to admit that.

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
I think there is revisionist history going on with respect to this situation. Nobody (that I recall) was upset with Rask for leaving once it became clear he left for family emergency. The way it was done was what initially left a bad taste in many people’s minds. After losing a game, he has a press conference where he states he basically can’t get into because no fans in the building to stroke his ego. He then bails, and instead of Sweeney saying he left for family reasons, don says the team knew for a while that Rask has one foot out the door and this was no surprise.
So of course people were pissed off, they thought he left because he was bored, or uninspired, or just a dick. It wasn’t until a couple days later it came out he left for family emergency, at which point pretty much everyone got behind him.
I’m not sure where all this “fans and media are heartless and expected him to play when his family were in desperate situation” bullshit came from but it didn’t happen like that.

having said all that, it does appear that Don and co want him gone, and I have to assume this is because of him leaving which is pretty low on their part if true.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Been following the Bruins since the early 70s.

At one point Hardly missed a game for 3 decades.

Never viewed any player as owing me anything . Don’t need an explanation for why Tuukka left the bubble.

It’s a sport...entertainment. And they’re people.

Pandemic. Long intense hours at work. Kids and grandkids. Many many more important things to worry about than reasons for Tuukka doing something that he absolutely has the right to do.

Last edited:

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
Well i will say I am one who turned on Rask for this situation . The combo of his comments plus him leaving with zero return date etc .

I am not some guy who doesn't of course get Family is #1 not hockey . I personally don't have enough info yet to jump back on board with Rask . I would certainly love to . He is an awesome goalie and in my eyes has been an all around Great Bruin for many years .

Now as well privacy matters so he doesn't owe us fans any more than he has gave us . The problem is with out more info I cant jump back on board yet .

All this said I think if Don doesn't trade him and all the Bruins ate good with him I have to think i am wrong . If they do trade him I think I was right .

To me it looks like they won't move him so I am guessing his reasoning was rock solid and I will gladly be wrong but until that happens I can't admit it yet .

For the record I love how he talked about the bruins today , it was like when they let him take a leave of absence

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Now as well privacy matters so he doesn't owe us fans any more than he has gave us . The problem is with out more info I cant jump back on board yet .

What do you want him to do, tell you exactly what was wrong with his little girl? He said it was a medical emergency concerning his daughter and he left to take care of his family. How much more info do you require?

Reactions: TD Charlie

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
Well i will say I am one who turned on Rask for this situation . The combo of his comments plus him leaving with zero return date etc .

I am not some guy who doesn't of course get Family is #1 not hockey . I personally don't have enough info yet to jump back on board with Rask . I would certainly love to . He is an awesome goalie and in my eyes has been an all around Great Bruin for many years .

All this said I think if Don doesn't trade him and all the Bruins ate good with him I have to think i am wrong . If they do trade him I think I was right .

To me it looks like they won't move him so I am guessing his reasoning was rock solid and I will gladly be wrong but until that happens I can't admit it yet .

For the record I love how he talked about the bruins
today , it was like when they let him take a leave of absence
Would a note for his child’s Dr satisfy your need?

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
So if Sweeney does nothing tonight he certainly won’t do anything in the morning getting up out of bed . What can he be talking about @1

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Would a note for his child’s Dr satisfy your need?

maybe if he just said... sorry about last year... I am promising to do everything in my power to put up the best season imaginable this year for my team and its fans. It was never the virus that made me walk away last year... it was 100% my child. I am appreciative that most of you will forgive me for that. I know the virus is still around, but that is not even in my thoughts as I get ready to play this year. I am hungry to win the cup

I mean... if his kid was sick then his kid was sick. we arent entitled to know the details of how sick the kid was. we are entitled to know this guy wants to play and it would take a very serious problem to make him bail on us again

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
maybe if he just said... sorry about last year... I am promising to do everything in my power to put up the best season imaginable this year for my team and its fans. It was never the virus that made me walk away last year... it was 100% my child. I am appreciative that most of you will forgive me for that. I know the virus is still around, but that is not even in my thoughts as I get ready to play this year. I am hungry to win the cup

I mean... if his kid was sick then his kid was sick. we arent entitled to know the details of how sick the kid was. we are entitled to know this guy wants to play and it would take a very serious problem to make him bail on us again
LMFAO. Good lord, do you really want him to say this. Why do you feel so entitled to an explanation and on top of it tell the guy what you want him to say. Like I said before, I just hope those who criticize him now are never put in that situation, because from reading the comments and seeing their sense of entitlement, you and the rest would never survive.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
LMFAO. Good lord, do you really want him to say this. Why do you feel so entitled to an explanation and on top of it tell the guy what you want him to say. Like I said before, I just hope those who criticize him now are never put in that situation, because from reading the comments and seeing their sense of entitlement, you and the rest would never survive.

naw… I explain myself when I dont fulfill my committments

he signed a 7 mill a year contract to represent the team to a fan base that PAYS THE BILLS. These entertainers want us to care when they talk politics or save the enviroment or wear your masks...

if they want the million dollar lifestyle... and want us to marvel when they make little babies... and give a damn which soda pop they are endorsing... then YES I AM ENTITLED TO HAVE MY HERO TELL ME 'SORRY I LET YOU DOWN'

but if you dont need the apology... salute

maybe you also dont care when these guys get caught with hookers or tweet racist crap on their facebook either. Entertainment business only makes money for as long as they can keep people like me watching the commercials and buying the merchandise and tickets. I want to believe my heros care as much about me as I am supposed to be caring about them

Reactions: DangleCity

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
He doesn't owe anyone an explanation but I am glad he came out and said this.

One more year of Krug is likely better than taking a long term risk on someone else who might end up worse (while you watch Rask win a Vezina somewhere else.)

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
naw… I explain myself when I dont fulfill my committments

he signed a 7 mill a year contract to represent the team to a fan base that PAYS THE BILLS. These entertainers want us to care when they talk politics or save the enviroment or wear your masks...

if they want the million dollar lifestyle... and want us to marvel when they make little babies... and give a damn which soda pop they are endorsing... then YES I AM ENTITLED TO HAVE MY HERO TELL ME 'SORRY I LET YOU DOWN'

but if you dont need the apology... salute

maybe you also dont care when these guys get caught with hookers or tweet racist crap on their facebook either. Entertainment business only makes money for as long as they can keep people like me watching the commercials and buying the merchandise and tickets. I want to believe my heros care as much about me as I am supposed to be caring about them
Didn’t read it but thanks for the explanation.
Edit. Athletes are not my heros, police, Doctors/nurses and hospital staff, firefighters, EMTs and military are my heroes, athletes are my entertainment.

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
What do you want him to do, tell you exactly what was wrong with his little girl? He said it was a medical emergency concerning his daughter and he left to take care of his family. How much more info do you require?

I think if you read my post I said he doesn't owe any more info . However with out more info I don't know how to read a / this isn't really playoff hockey comment followed by a leave with zero possible return date when sweeney said a day later everyone was fine .

He owes us zero and of course I get that. He owes the team more and I am sure they know more and if they are all good / poof I was obviously wrong . I don't get what else you want me to say.

If he isn't moved which I don't expect him to be now i am basically ready to say I was wrong .

If he does happen to be moved well that is a totally different ballgame .

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I think if you read my post I said he doesn't owe any more info . However with out more info I don't know how to read a / this isn't really playoff hockey comment followed by a leave with zero possible return date when sweeney said a day later everyone was fine .

He owes us zero and of course I get that. He owes the team more and I am sure they know more and if they are all good / poof I was obviously wrong . I don't get what else you want me to say.

If he isn't moved which I don't expect him to be now i am basically ready to say I was wrong .

If he does happen to be moved well that is a totally different ballgame .

What you said was "The problem is with out more info I cant jump back on board yet" so I was asking what more do you want to get back on board? To know exactly what the emergency was?

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
What you said was "The problem is with out more info I cant jump back on board yet" so I was asking what more do you want to get back on board? To know exactly what the emergency was?

Ok I need Don to keep him in Boston . If he does which I expect than I was obviously wrong with what I said back at the time .

Since I am sure you are going by my recent posts I will say I basically have never said a bad word about Rask on these boards . I have never ever questioned his commitment , greatness or competitiveness before he left the bubble .

At that time I questioned if he could be counted on . I still would never question his greatness or effort . I trust that if Don keeps him I WAS OBVIOUSLY WRONG and will admit it.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Ok I need Don to keep him in Boston . If he does which I expect than I was obviously wrong with what I said back at the time .

Since I am sure you are going by my recent posts I will say I basically have never said a bad word about Rask on these boards . I have never ever questioned his commitment , greatness or competitiveness before he left the bubble .

At that time I questioned if he could be counted on . I still would never question his greatness or effort . I trust that if Don keeps him I WAS OBVIOUSLY WRONG and will admit it.

Fair enough, thanks :) . For what it's worth, if he does move, it might not even be related to the bubble thing but to needing cap space to fix the damn defense and going with a not as good, but cheaper goal option.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Didn’t read it but thanks for the explanation.
Edit. Athletes are not my heros, police, Doctors/nurses and hospital staff, firefighters, EMTs and military are my heroes, athletes are my entertainment.

They dont get a million a year... or asked to endorse shoes or fast food burgers. If they want to stay home from their job because their wife is sick, they dont owe us an explanation

All those people do jobs that are jobs... and matter

Entertainers only matter if we are entertained. The moment we say go away, an entertainer becomes utterly useless

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
Fair enough, thanks :) . For what it's worth, if he does move, it might not even be related to the bubble thing but to needing cap space to fix the damn defense and going with a not as good, but cheaper goal option.

Well i guess this is where we disagree . I don't think for one minute there was any chance Rask would be moved pre bubble . Don has said he basically won't be moving him as Rask pointed out . Sweeney is either being truthful which i now believe or he is playing games so he can get as much value as possible .

jonu

Dec 11, 2014
Moon
They dont get a million a year... or asked to endorse shoes or fast food burgers. If they want to stay home from their job because their wife is sick, they dont owe us an explanation

All those people do jobs that are jobs... and matter

Entertainers only matter if we are entertained. The moment we say go away, an entertainer becomes utterly useless

Sports = entertainment yes

Athletes = not entertainers

You would rather that your "entertainer" stays on for the "show" while posting subpar performance because he can't focus due to his daughter being seriously sick at home while he is trying to land a windmill save for your entertainment? If he isn't fully in on it he is not entertaining anymore and that doesn't do justice for the rest of the team, and as you said he becomes useless.

So no matter if Rask stayed or not you would hate him due to him not being either entertaining or not there at all because he himself thinks he wont be entertaining.

Sure, being athlete and entertainer are not mutually exclusive, but entertainment is the after effect of being an athlete first.

In theory one4 could say that Rask is on your side since he considers himself an entertainer because he thinks playing without a crowd is a bit pointless.

If we look at it even closer one could argue that players are athletes that together form a team that provides entertainment, but the entertainment part is then again an after effect of the athlete groups synergy.

You pretty much opened a philosophical can of worms about the definitions of athletes, entertainers, sports and entertainment.

Last edited:
Reactions: BBB24

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Well i guess this is where we disagree . I don't think for one minute there was any chance Rask would be moved pre bubble . Don has said he basically won't be moving him as Rask pointed out . Sweeney is either being truthful which i now believe or he is playing games so he can get as much value as possible .

Remember 2015 he nearly got moved and Martin Jones was going to be our guy and Cam nixed it because they thought the optics would be terrible. I've never felt that Tuuka enjoyed the kind of commitment and backing from the FO as say Bergeron, Krejci et al.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Carlton Blues @ Sydney Swans
    Carlton Blues @ Sydney Swans
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $3,470.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain