Turnover for next years squad

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I'd turn over 4 on D (trade McBain, UFAs other then Belles Two Hearted all walk), 3 or so new up front, and a new backup goalie.

Sasha Cares

28 mph!!!!!!!
Sep 25, 2006
Island of Misfit Toy
After we lose the last 10 games and draft our future Stud top pairing D man. Where do we go? I think the following are the only real players who are safe or should be. I personally don't think either Staal should be completely off the table, we know they are. So my feeling the untouchables are

Estaal
Jstaal
Semin
Faulk
Ward
Lottery pick (unless traded for a #1D)

So where do we go? Obviously the D is a complete disaster as is out back up G situation. I like a lot of our D pieces individually but the group flat out sucks. Joni is probably the most valuable piece to trade and we probably need to find a buyer now that Faulk is maturing. I'd actually like to see Bellemore on the roster with Faulk and Murphy in Charlotte (JR won't let that happen though). I'm up for ditching all other active D men.

Ruutu gets amnesty buyout and then dump LaRose, Dwyer, Bowman, Brent, etc. trade Skinner if we get value.

I obviously don't know the answers and I'm not sure this heap of garbage can be fixed in one year, but what's everyone's thoughts?

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I'd turn over 4 on D (trade McBain, UFAs other then Belles Two Hearted all walk), 3 or so new up front, and a new backup goalie.

The problem here, Dave, is who? Here's the list of UFA goalies and their current cap hit.

Who do we get on that list that A) isn't due for a salary bump, B) would be willing to continue to be a backup, and C) doesn't suck? Maybe Montoya (haven't seen enough of him to judge one way or the other) - maybe Sabourin? Drouin-Deslauriers I'm somewhat familiar with from when he was the goalie for the Greenville Grrrowl during the ECHL days but it's been so long since I've seen him that I don't know if he's really an NHL backup or, like Peters, an AHL/NHL tweener at best.

Finlandia WOAT

No blocks, No slappers
May 23, 2010
Do you want a defense built on quickness (tailored to Faulk, Pitkanen, Ryan Murphy and Seth Jones) or one built on toughness (tailored to Faulk, Gleason, Bellemore and Nurse)? I don't care which one, I just want some consistency.

As you can see, one of Pitkanen or Gleason does not belong. Trade the one that doesn't fit for a defenseman that fits the other mold. Trade McBain to a cap strapped team that needs space (Philly fans are thinking of dumping Coburn).

Brent and LaRose walk.

smi

Jun 14, 2011
Trade Skinner for physical first pairing D Adam McQuaid.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
The problem here, Dave, is who? Here's the list of UFA goalies and their current cap hit.

Who do we get on that list that A) isn't due for a salary bump, B) would be willing to continue to be a backup, and C) doesn't suck? Maybe Montoya (haven't seen enough of him to judge one way or the other) - maybe Sabourin? Drouin-Deslauriers I'm somewhat familiar with from when he was the goalie for the Greenville Grrrowl during the ECHL days but it's been so long since I've seen him that I don't know if he's really an NHL backup or, like Peters, an AHL/NHL tweener at best.

Montoya would be my bet, followed by Griess, then hitting up Europe. Emery won't work, JDD sucks. Before the past two seasons I would have said Thiessen is my pick but he blew up in all the wrong ways.

Wouldn't be shocked to see Bulin sign a cheap one-year deal with someone either, would be a very respectable option.

I'd be having phone convos with Antti Raanta's agent right now. 23 year old, best goalie in Finland right now. Not sure if Kari Ramo is a UFA or not but he'd be an option too.

Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I'm not sure this heap of garbage can be fixed in one year, but what's everyone's thoughts?

I'm pretty sure it can be. I think this is a season in deep turmoil, not a franchise. Losing your #1 goaltender at the beginning of the year will do that to you, not to mention we've been playing the last several games without our top 2 dmen.

If we can get a top 5 pick (Jones, Mackinnon, Drouin, Barkov, Nichushkin) and get him to play on this team next year, along with coming into next year healthy, I think we're a playoff team and a division contender.

Muller gets a training camp, we get healthy, and if we make the right offseason moves this team's a playoff team. We don't need a major turnover, we were winning games at the beginning of the year when Ward was playing like Ward.

This season deserves all the **** we give it. But this franchise is not nearly in the craphole that we're saying it is. This is a ****** losing streak in a very short season. We're even outshooting our opponents like every game!

My ideal offseason moves are Antropov, if we draft Jones, or Lydman, if we draft Mackinnon/Drouin/etc. Sign Raffi Torres regardless.

Icing this next year:

Tlusty - Staal - Semin
Skinner - Staal - Ruutu
Bowman - Antropov/Mackinnon/etc - Dwyer
Torres - Nash - Sutter/whoever grabs it

Pitkanen - Faulk
Gleason - Jones/Lydman
McBain/Murphy - Harrison
McBain/Murphy

Ward
Peters/Ellis

We're a decent team on a ****** losing streak guys. In a year where we have one of our worst streak of all-time we also had our best homestand in history. It's a tale of two halves, one of which was tremendously injury-laden.

No mass exodus necessary. Don't trade Skinner unless you're actually improving our team with it. The Staals are obviously off limits. Hope for tremendous economic inflation so these JStaal/Skinner contracts aren't so big in 3 years.

This season stings, it really does. But we're not in nearly as huge trouble as most people on these boards would have you believe.

Finlandia WOAT

No blocks, No slappers
May 23, 2010
My ideal offseason move is still Bouchard.

He'll sign for cheap and he's a playmaker. He oozes talent.

Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
My ideal offseason move is still Bouchard.

He'll sign for cheap and he's a playmaker. He oozes talent.

If he can get back to form he can center an offensive 3rd line or step up with JStaal and Skinner on the wing. If he plays like he has this year, it's another soft Euro that doesn't score enough points to make it worth our while.

Finlandia WOAT

No blocks, No slappers
May 23, 2010
Sign him to a 1 year deal.

A lot of teams are at the cap, and there are a ton of forwards with better seasons than him on the market. Of the top of my head, Weiss, Clarkson, Clowe, Jagr and Iginla.

faulkingdynamic

J Troll
Oct 4, 2006
Raleigh NC
Here are the holes i would try to replace(trying to be semi realistic).... and honestly i would trade Gleason and Pitkanen for the right price. Im not trading them just to get them off the team but id shop them to see what could be had. Over the last couple weeks i havent seen much difference between Gleason and Bellemore, and ive been a Gleason supporter. And in terms of this team being mentally fragile, weve got poster children for moping and they virtually all wear captaincy letters. Gleason Staal Skinner Pitkanen and to some degree Ward are all whiners or guys that mope around when things get tough. Your mental strength as a team cant come from the bench boss on a nightly basis, it just doesnt work. People can try to shoehorn Eric all they want, he isnt captain material. He isnt a steady rock that a team can depend on.......Unfortunately the roster doesnt have anyone like that currently. Just because you are a scorer and play center doesnt mean you are a captain.

Tlusty - Staal - Semin
Skinner - Staal - Ruutu
? - ? - Dwyer
? - Nash - ?

Pitkanen - Faulk
Gleason - ?
Murphy - Harrison
Bellemore

Ward
?

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I know I posted it in another thread, but this is what I'd do next offseason, at least up front:

see if we can get a McGinn type player for McBain. It's doubtful, but I'd take it in a second.

Go after the following players in free agency, none of which should be that expensive:
C Kyle Chipchura (PHX)
C Maxim Lapierre (VAN)
W Eric Nystrom (DAL)
RW Brandon Yip (NSH)

possibly re-sign LaRose if he'll take a salary in line with his ability level (3rd/4th line tweener). Roll out a forward group looking like this next season:

Tlusty - E Staal - Semin
Skinner - J Staal - Ruutu
Welsh/McGinn clone - Nash - LaRose or Yip
Dwyer - Lappy or Chip - Nystrom or Yip
Westgarth, Bowman, Dalpe (first callup)

that's a much tougher lineup to play against IMO, MUCH tougher. The bottom 6 is flat out built upon the idea of wearing down the opposition and making things as difficult as possible.

Defensively I want to get Jones so bad I can taste it, ideally this is our D next year:
Pitkanen - Faulk
Gleason - Jones
Harrison - Murphy
Bellemore

still ****** defensively but sadly a big step up.

If not Jones, I go after Hannan, Lydman, Eminger, Drewiskie, Strachan, or Woywitka in UFA. Hopefully ending up with a D like this:
Pitkanen - Faulk
Gleason - Lydman
Harrison - Murphy
Bellemore

again, still ****** but actually a step up

Lucky Lindy

Jun 24, 2012
Stockholm
I would love to see Alexander Salák in the NHL. Playing in Swedish Elite League with Farjestad, best goalkeeper this year, probably as good or better than Victor Fasth. Only problem is that he had an NHL-contract with Chicago two years ago, and they released him. I would love to see him get a chance here, but the last thing I've heard is that he is going to KHL.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Don't remember if anyone answered last time I asked, but Dalpe is eligible for waivers next year, yes? If teams are inquiring about him, I'd move him in the right deal. JR seems deadset against that though. At least he's in the NHL for presumably the rest of the year.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
If LaRose is on the team next year I am no longer a fan. I can't stand watching a team that basically dies on the ice for 1/4th of every game because their general manager has an affinity for a special needs player.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I would love to see Alexander Salák in the NHL. Playing in Swedish Elite League with Farjestad, best goalkeeper this year, probably as good or better than Victor Fasth. Only problem is that he had an NHL-contract with Chicago two years ago, and they released him. I would love to see him get a chance here, but the last thing I've heard is that he is going to KHL.

Yeah, there's a few good options out there. Salak would work (don't think anyone holds his rights) short term. Antti Raanta at 23 was probably the best goalie in Finland this past year, good long term investment. Might give Kari Ramo or Curtis Sanford a call to see if they'd want to come back as well.

Finlandia WOAT

No blocks, No slappers
May 23, 2010
We picked a good year to tank. I want Jones so bad it hurts, but you can't go wrong with Jones, Mac or Drouin.

2 points in front of Florida and Calgary, with 1 game in hand on Florida. We'll get roasted by Tampa, so they are of no concern.

The only issue is that the Avalanche will almost 100% pick Jones. Colorado kid and their defense is worse than ours.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Lot of general over reaction going on with this losing streak. We are probably only a couple of players away from being pretty solid. I'd agree at least two better d. I'd move out Pitts and replace him with a similar price guy who is durable and a better leader. We need a couple of Adam Hall types for the fourth line, removal of bowman and larose if possible. We should be giving terry and welsh some quality time right now.

In reality with a couple of dmen, and more clearly defined bottom six there's no reason why we can't contend for the playoffs. We were pretty legit for those couple of weeks. We lack depth where it matters. That's a problem for many teams. Many teams fans have had the same complaints as we've had for much of the season. Inconsistency....depth. The difference between where we are and the last spot is ward playing well and less injuries on d, not coaching or any other reason we've come up with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad