Turning point in hockey history?

Fluke

Sep 27, 2009
Hey guys, I have to do a paper on a turning point in the history of a sport and naturally I chose hockey. However, I'm having a hard time thinking of a really good one that I could hash out into 5-7 pages.

It can be anything that either changed the game itself or that made it more popular or something like that which impacted the sport.

Any help is greatly appreciated. :)

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Eddie Shore hits Ace Bailey (All-Star game created)

Richard Riots

The emergence of Bobby Orr

Great Expansion

72 Summit Series

WHA

Stastny brothers and/or Alexander Mogilny defecting to North America to play in the NHL

The Lockout

RabbinsDuck

Feb 1, 2008
Brighton, MI
Hey guys, I have to do a paper on a turning point in the history of a sport and naturally I chose hockey. However, I'm having a hard time thinking of a really good one that I could hash out into 5-7 pages.

It can be anything that either changed the game itself or that made it more popular or something like that which impacted the sport.

Any help is greatly appreciated. :)

I think the rise of the Soviets in international hockey (during the Cold War, with the underlying themes to those games and what it meant to their respective countries) would be an interesting topic... and how Soviet hockey actually influenced the NHL.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Others are:

The curved stick

The slap shot

The Player's Association

The Goalie Mask

The Stanley Cup being awarded

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
The Gretzky Trade and the huge impact it had in marketing hockey in the States, especially in the non-traditional hockey markets.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
The Gretzky Trade and the huge impact it had in marketing hockey in the States, especially in the non-traditional hockey markets.

I'd go with this one .. there are a lot of good ideas being thrown around, but this one strikes me as a watershed moment that you can milk a full essay out of.

GNick42

My vote would be expansion. Game has not been the same since. Much more money in the game, game more popular, game watered down.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
- Richard Riot
- Stastny/Mogilny defections
- Lockout

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Foster Hewitt

Very simple. Foster Hewitt and the original radio broadcasts of NHL hockey. Hockey Night in Canada on the radio took the NHL beyond the arena and into the homes of every hamlet in Canada.

Instant access to the game, created overnight heroes, generated sponsorship involvement and identified hockey as Canada's national sport.

Fluke

Sep 27, 2009
I'd go with this one .. there are a lot of good ideas being thrown around, but this one strikes me as a watershed moment that you can milk a full essay out of.

Exactly what I was thinking, and I think that's the one I'm gonna go with.

Thanks a ton everyone!:yo:

Moses Doughty

Aug 19, 2008
Gretzky trade.

Orr changing defense forever as we knew it.

Expansion.

Soviet Union and internatinal hockey.

Goalie mask.

Forward pass.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
The NHL debut of Normand Baron;)

Kidding aside:

- Gretzky trade
- Eagleson replaced by Bob Goodenow in early 90's
- NHL expands in 67-68
- the iron curtain falls
- rise and fall of the WHA
- Soviet Hockey history from 1950 to 1972, the building of a juggernaut

Last edited:

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
How true.

“Who is this Tretiak fellow? He looks silly.â€

I recall the scouting report (from Jim Gregory IIRC) stating "Soviets are weak in goal". What a joke!

Canadian hockey arrogance has ebbed and flowed since then, but will never again approach the level achieved when Canada was up 2-0 in that game. Shortly thereafter, Kharlamov and company started playing hockey like it had never been seen in Canada, and the sport was changed forever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad