TSN Overdrive and other Toronto Sports Media V4

Status
Not open for further replies.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
I'd really appreciate it if hockey podcasts would stop inserting their personal politics into their product

X10000

It bothers me every time they put their two cents in on anything politics related.

BushFireRecordsRedux

I'm a Dapper Dan man
Sep 10, 2018
I'd really appreciate it if hockey podcasts would stop inserting their personal politics into their product

If I want to listen about AOC interviewing Zuckerberg I'll listen to somebody who knows there ass from there elbow about politics

It's really starting to grate

People can talk about whatever they want, if we don't like it we shouldn't listen. No point whining about it. I don't listen to plenty of things because I don't like the people/the content they choose to discuss but I certainly ain't going to run around crying publicly and wishing they talked about what I want them to talk about, chief.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
People can talk about whatever they want, if we don't like it we shouldn't listen. No point whining about it. I don't listen to plenty of things because I don't like the people/the content they choose to discuss but I certainly ain't going to run around crying publicly and wishing they talked about what I want them to talk about, chief.

Calling that critique crying publicly is pretty aggressive, sport

It's a hockey podcast, I have a reasonable expectation of a hockey podcast without political analysis in that scenario

The next time I'm watching a political breakdown I'll be on the lookout for a Leafs breakdown halfway through for literally no reason

Wish people only talked about exactly what I want them to talk about at all times!

You seem to be all for people discussing what they want to yet your crying about us discussing what we want to

You may want to ponder that

You are correct however about not watching or listening to that content, Dangle is about as enjoyable as listening to Leafs Lunch at this point so that's the end of that

Last edited:

BushFireRecordsRedux

I'm a Dapper Dan man
Sep 10, 2018
Calling that critique crying publicly is pretty aggressive, sport

It's a hockey podcast, I have a reasonable expectation of a hockey podcast without political analysis in that scenario

The next time I'm watching a political breakdown I'll be on the lookout for a Leafs breakdown halfway through for literally no reason

You seem to be all for people discussing what they want to yet your crying about us discussing what we want to

You may want to ponder that

You are correct however about not watching or listening to that content, Dangle is about as enjoyable as listening to Leafs Lunch at this point so that's the end of that

That's the point though, you have no reasonable expectation of anything content related on someone else's podcast. I don't get why people would ever think that lol. I actually don't like the political talk either, so I don't listen to overly political podcasts. I just think we spend too much time as a society expecting to be catered to and whining when we aren't. I accept that no one cares what I want them to talk about on *their* podcast and all I can do is stop listening.

I'm not at all crying about your discussion, I joined in and made a sarcastic comment because I think it's silly and I said it annoys me too but I'm not going to waste time crying about it, I'll just listen to things that actually suite me.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
That's the point though, you have no reasonable expectation of anything content related on someone else's podcast. I don't get why people would ever think that lol. I actually don't like the political talk either, so I don't listen to overly political podcasts. I just think we spend too much time as a society expecting to be catered to and whining when we aren't. I accept that no one cares what I want them to talk about on *their* podcast and all I can do is stop listening.

I'm not at all crying about your discussion, I joined in and made a sarcastic comment because I think it's silly and I said it annoys me too but I'm not going to waste time crying about it, I'll just listen to things that actually suite me.

Yes, how dare I expect a hockey podcast that is advertised as a hockey podcast to talk about hockey and not go into a completely different area that the hosts know nothing about

I like political podcasts also, I'd be left scratching my head if they broke into a hockey discussion without cause or knowledge as well, I listen to hockey podcasts however because i want to listen to people's opinions on hockey

Which is why I'm no longer going to be listening to that particular podcast

BushFireRecordsRedux

I'm a Dapper Dan man
Sep 10, 2018
Yes, how dare I expect a hockey podcast that is advertised as a hockey podcast to talk about hockey and not go into a completely different area that the hosts know nothing about

I like political podcasts also, I'd be left scratching my head if they broke into a hockey discussion without cause or knowledge as well, I listen to hockey podcasts however because i want to listen to people's opinions on hockey

Which is why I'm no longer going to be listening to that particular podcast

Well it says it's a hockey and pop culture podcast in the description but I just mean it's probably a waste of time to expect them to only talk about those things. Political pundits who know very little sports or pop culture talk about those things pretty frequently, who cares? If they do it too much and people don't like it they just stop listening, as people can/should do here. I don't like Steve's podcasts and I definitely don't like his political takes but I don't think someone needs a poli sci degree to shoot off about politics anymore than you need to be an expert about sports to talk about it on a political podcast. Discuss whatever you want on your podcast and those who like it listen, and those (like me) who don't, stop listening.

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
Whichever executive decided it was a good idea to replace Bob McCown with the gong show screaming idiots that are Tim and Sid should be fired.

I will never tune in to that show. I tried.
Different times. Rogers wants more young people tuning in and that's what Tim and Sid bring. I like listening to Bobcat as well, but he's not going to bring in the viewers.

I'm a somewhat younger person myself and I think they are hilarious. They are a great for entertainment, and Tim actually brings a better analysis than majority of others. He's fantastic. Sid is obviously there for the hot takes and I can see why some people are turned off by him, but unlike other "hot take" analysts, he actually brings some comedy and entertainment.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
People only ask for "no politics!" when they disagree with politics expressed. Whenever they agree, it's just "telling it like it is", or "having no filter" or some positive spin.

Just because it's difficult to escape the humourless scolds and doomsayers who are constantly inserting politics into everything doesn't mean there aren't people craving the escapism of sports and other entertainment without being lectured to. I grew up around these types from both political poles. They're miserable people at their hearts, able to turn joy into sadness, good humour into anger at the turn of a phrase. I despise their gall to believe they have the right to inflict their views at every turn.

Reactions: KuleminFan41

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I prefer the topics they cover on Overdrive. Listening to Sportsnet people pretend like baseball and the Blue Jays are relevant and important is so dull.

My only issue with the TSN guys is they seem like absolute meathead idiots. If they aren't on topic I don't want to hear their moronic opinions about life.

Whichever executive decided it was a good idea to replace Bob McCown with the gong show screaming idiots that are Tim and Sid should be fired.

I don't think it was proactive decision. I think it was 100% cost cutting, so in their eyes its probably a rousing success.

Of course the programming is unlistenable, but quality was never their objective.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
giphy.gif
Dude. Helen Keller. It's painful.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
People only ask for "no politics!" when they disagree with politics expressed. Whenever they agree, it's just "telling it like it is", or "having no filter" or some positive spin.
That's a poor take. If there's one thing people from all political sides, races, gender and creed can enjoy together without wanting to kill one another, is sports. Fragmenting the fan base over something that has nothing to do with who can put a round piece of rubber into a mesh netting is just stupid. Sports is a form of escapism from the outside world, most people don't want to be bombarded with how terrible whatever party's beliefs are, they want to see top athletes play a sport they love. If they truly want to be inundated with politics, they'd watch or listen to all the countless hours that's available every day talking about politics

Reactions: Stigma

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

No one under the age of like, 50, likes Bob McCown.

Not a fan of Tim and Sid myself, but they're the most popular thing SN has and this is an obvious move.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
No one under the age of like, 50, likes Bob McCown.

Not a fan of Tim and Sid myself, but they're the most popular thing SN has and this is an obvious move.

Speak for yourself.

Bob offered a point of view that no one else in the Toronto sports media did.

He didnt care about the day to day minutae of the teams. That wasnt the point of his show. He also had no time for athletes who couldnt say anything besides "pucks in deep" or "you know". Theres enough of that on the other shows. Bob's show was unique and had its place.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I'm a somewhat younger person myself and I think they are hilarious. They are a great for entertainment, and Tim actually brings a better analysis than majority of others. He's fantastic. Sid is obviously there for the hot takes and I can see why some people are turned off by him, but unlike other "hot take" analysts, he actually brings some comedy and entertainment.
I get your point, but this is something I never really understood. I get my comedy watching stand-ups, comedy movies and series, spending time with some hilarious people. I don't need my hockey discussions to be hilarious. I want them to be meaningful and thoughtful and as far away from unsubstantiated hot takes as possible. That's a rare find though.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
That's a poor take. If there's one thing people from all political sides, races, gender and creed can enjoy together without wanting to kill one another, is sports. Fragmenting the fan base over something that has nothing to do with who can put a round piece of rubber into a mesh netting is just stupid. Sports is a form of escapism from the outside world, most people don't want to be bombarded with how terrible whatever party's beliefs are, they want to see top athletes play a sport they love. If they truly want to be inundated with politics, they'd watch or listen to all the countless hours that's available every day talking about politics

That’d be fine but the athletes make political statements all the time. Sometimes it’s ok to point out their hypocrisies

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I was listening to Leafs Lunch yesterday. Is Mike Johnson the guy who was constantly talking over Andi, trying to get her to say something she didn't want to say? I hope not. I really like him but I don't want another shouter a la Doug MacLean or Nick Kyprios.

Reactions: The Apologist

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
That’d be fine but the athletes make political statements all the time. Sometimes it’s ok to point out their hypocrisies
Totally ok to point out their hypocrisy. Also totally ok to wish radio personalities would stick to their strengths.
Wishing something and saying that someone absolutely cannot say something are totally different things.
I too wish sports folks would leave politics out of it but it has kinda invaded every facet of life. You can't even watch a Marvel movie without it being rammed down your throat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad