TSN 690 and Other Montreal Based Media (Part 10)

Wateredgarden

Oct 10, 2020
the must be something i don't understand abot Marinaro and Martin Lemay, i just don't understand how those guys have jobs. At least Marinaro seems like a good person.

Habnot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Sorry but I disagree about Montreal being only a Canadiens town. I am old enough to have lived the complete Expos life cycle and Montreal supported baseball better than most American cities. And that was with poor ownership, crap stadium and all. The fans just got the shaft with all the shenanigans with ownership. Attendance was always good when Bronfman owned the team.

A couple of other examples:

- Don't discount the success of F1.
- Montreal was one one the main NASL franchise - had some of the best attendance - and again without a viable stadium. Playing soccer of that Olympic Stadium turf was criminal but Montreal turned up in droves.
- Montreal supported the Machine - the first year the had a couple of sell outs.

Bottom line, you need proper ownership with any team in any market. Let's see if Peladeau can ride the wave and get a proper facility built. It's not fair to ask fans to show up an embarrassing venue (Molson Stadium) with no parking, traffic everywhere and a difficult walk up the mountain from the metro. Enough is enough.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Sorry but I disagree about Montreal being only a Canadiens town. I am old enough to have lived the complete Expos life cycle and Montreal supported baseball better than most American cities. And that was with poor ownership, crap stadium and all. The fans just got the shaft with all the shenanigans with ownership. Attendance was always good when Bronfman owned the team.

- Montreal was one one the main NASL franchise - had some of the best attendance - and again without a viable stadium. Playing soccer of that Olympic Stadium turf was criminal but Montreal turned up in droves.
- Montreal supported the Machine - the first year the had a couple of sell outs.

Bottom line, you need proper ownership with any team in any market. Let's see if Peladeau can ride the wave and get a proper facility built. It's not fair to ask fans to show up an embarrassing venue (Molson Stadium) with no parking, traffic everywhere and a difficult walk up the mountain from the metro. Enough is enough.
I agree
Montreal formula 1
Montreal Expos
the town is a sports city

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Formula 1 is more like an event. It comes once a year and people show up.

I think when people define "sports cities", they are generally talking about the day to day support of the home team over an entire season.
That was one of Marinaro’s main points although, it’s not the first time Montreal is referred to as an events city rather than a sports hotbed. You can add to that other short term events like tennis which works on a limited timeframe just like the Jazz Fest and Just for Laughs.

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Montreal are a Habs city and an event city. Not necesseraly a sport city. That's why the jazz festival festival was always successful. It's a good pop for a short term, People were there in the spring for the Expos but not there not there in the middle of the summer. Even if they had great teams. As far as the Alouettes, it's a lost cause. Quebecers as a whole are more into the NFL. That's why I think if there's a stadium to be built in Montreal, it should be for football as long as there's a garantee club coming in and a wealthy owner.

hvac412

Apr 15, 2013

Having a dollar that hovers around 70-75 cents compared to US, very toxic language issues,high taxes doesn't excite Bettman or the MLB.

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

Habnot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Montreal is a sports city, it will support teams. Pratte said it, last month the women played at Bell Center, Rockets played at Place Bell and FC Montreal played at Stade Saputo the same night in front of full houses. If this is not support I don't know the definition...

That being said, the City and Provincial government and some shaddy ownership have not been kind to Montreal. You can't blame the fans for not wanting to watch a shitty baseball team that has been ravished for 10 years in a crappy stadium. Pinning the Expos departure on Montreal sports fans is ignorant of what occured from 1994 to when they left.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Has anyone heard the Car Gurus ad that’s beeing played a ton on BPM?

The pitch guy is pronouncing it « Car Garoussah ». I couldn’t figure out what he was referring to for a few weeks and didn’t care to look it up until I finally heard some other ad pronouncing it correctly. To think that someone at Car Gurus actually approved this horrible mangling.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Marinaro has been replacing Laraque’s co-host over the last 3 weeks.

And at the tail end of today’s segment, Laraque announced that Marinaro will be getting his own show next year on BPM.

Not surprised as he seemed to be able to roll with the punches and seamlessly partake in Laraque’s and the guests’ banter, as well as callers to the show.

Those who longed for greater soccer talk will have been served.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Marinaro has been replacing Laraque’s co-host over the last 3 weeks.

And at the tail end of today’s segment, Laraque announced that Marinaro will be getting his own show next year on BPM.

Not surprised as he seemed to be able to roll with the punches and seamlessly partake in Laraque’s and the guests’ banter, as well as callers to the show.

Those who longed for greater soccer talk will have been served.
in french , sadly I wont' understand his screaming in french.

JackZap

May 7, 2009
I do like him better on the radio than his podcast. Will be curious to see how he does in French

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Second day in a row Marinaro went over the circumstances that led to his departure from 690. We have all heard how it stemmed from the station’s refusal for him to cease his non-affiliated podcast.

He sounded particularly bitter yesterday at his old station, about how several at the station were “making 2, 3 or 4 times more” than he was — that opened the door in my mind, to suggest that his departure was more than just about a podcast. He probably saw himself as the star of 690 and wanted compensation closer to what Melnick is making. He was never going to get it with how Bell Media runs its media outlets with a hatchet.

Not a stretch to believe that he put two and two together and figured out there was just as much if not more money from doing the Sick podcast, weekday appearances on JiC and weekday guesting on BPM.

Several of the callers from his 690 days are calling him on BPM, leading to a few settlement of accounts against Marinaro’s former colleagues.
To be fair to Marinaro, he probably wouldn't have thought of or needed to think of starting a podcast had 690 paid him enough to live on. He started with the podcast as a side hustle, in addition to doing his 690 show (and one or two days a week "on location" at some restaurant or car dealership for the extra cash) Given the way Bell Media operates, I wouldn't be shocked if he was making no more than about $40K/year off his gig with 690. He HAD to get a side hustle. He has a wife and two kids and his wife was probably making more money. I'm sure it didn't take long for him to realize that he stood to make more money doing the podcast than Bell would ever pay him. So when forced to choose, he chose the option where he had more control over his career. If Bell had just let him keep his side hustle he might still be working at 690 today.

OR, Bell would have laid him off a year or two ago and he'd have to do the podcast anyway.

I do like him better on the radio than his podcast. Will be curious to see how he does in French
The best thing about his podcast is that you can fast forward through the bullshit. The first 8 or 9 minutes of his podcast is just a long into, followed by Tony self-glossing for a couple of minutes before spending the next five shilling for his sponsors before finally bringing on his guest. On YouTube, you can just skip ahead to the meat and leave the empty calories.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
To be fair to Marinaro, he probably wouldn't have thought of or needed to think of starting a podcast had 690 paid him enough to live on. He started with the podcast as a side hustle, in addition to doing his 690 show (and one or two days a week "on location" at some restaurant or car dealership for the extra cash) Given the way Bell Media operates, I wouldn't be shocked if he was making no more than about $40K/year off his gig with 690. He HAD to get a side hustle. He has a wife and two kids and his wife was probably making more money. I'm sure it didn't take long for him to realize that he stood to make more money doing the podcast than Bell would ever pay him. So when forced to choose, he chose the option where he had more control over his career. If Bell had just let him keep his side hustle he might still be working at 690 today.

OR, Bell would have laid him off a year or two ago and he'd have to do the podcast anyway.

The best thing about his podcast is that you can fast forward through the bullshit. The first 8 or 9 minutes of his podcast is just a long into, followed by Tony self-glossing for a couple of minutes before spending the next five shilling for his sponsors before finally bringing on his guest. On YouTube, you can just skip ahead to the meat and leave the empty calories.
I think 690 also hated the idea that Marinaro would be competing with them by interviewing the same guests the station featured, on his Sick podcast. You’re correct about the paltry salaries these radio gigs pay outside of the select few who got their paydays before Bell came into the picture and performed some pretty nasty annihilations.

#BellLetsTalk — promoting mental health but at the same time, creating the very conditions within its workforce that will cause it to avail itself of those very services.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Was that really necessary? :sarcasm:

• Haha
Reactions: Runner77

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
I think 690 also hated the idea that Marinaro would be competing with them by interviewing the same guests the station featured, on his Sick podcast. You’re correct about the paltry salaries these radio gigs pay outside of the select few who got their paydays before Bell came into the picture and performed some pretty nasty annihilations.

#BellLetsTalk — promoting mental health but at the same time, creating the very conditions within its workforce that will cause it to avail itself of those very services.

In retrospect, Mike Babcock was the perfect spokesperson, never understood why they let him go.

I'm all for Tony's success. Sure, he's a loud mouth stereotype too often making Italian Canadians look like insufferable meatballs, but I've always appreciated his hustle. And even at his worst, the podcast is still better than the remains of TSN690.

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Caught some on demand content from the station and they thought this was brilliant! WTF is wrong with these people?:facepalm:

The whole world was watching and they come up with this embarrassing crap,shameful.:shakehead The race at least was entertaining.:thumbu::thumbu:

• Haha
Reactions: MSLs absurd thighs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad