TSN 690 and Other Montreal Based Media (Part 10)

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Marinaro is replacing Gonzo this week, co-hosting with Laraque.

Every time guests come on, he never lets them finish, all too often talking over them, getting louder and louder. This is a guy who earns a living by interacting with others on air and on media platforms and is incapable of doing the most basic thing.

STFU and learn to listen Marinaro, it doesn’t always have to be about you, ya burdensome noise box.

Last edited:

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
The only thing that keeps 690 open is the "guest" analyst. Marc Denis, Aaron Ward and the like. That these out and yeah... the is community radio level shit.
it is high school radio, with clowns that love music more then sports

Every time guests come on, he never lets them finish, all too often talking over them, getting louder and louder. This is a guy who earns a living by interacting with others on air and on media platforms and is incapable of doing the most basic thing.

STFU and learn to listen Marinaro, it doesn’t always have to be about you, ya burdensome noise box.
hahaha

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Just when it couldn’t get any worse — Marinaro doing what he used to do on 690 and mangling songs from the 70s and 80s. The guy has no musical talent to save his life.

Several listeners have chimed in with “what is that!” :laugh:

CharleyHorse

Sep 28, 2022
anyone else find Gallo to be an insufferable, smarmy, idiot?
From his asinine sign-off about not opening cans of beans
you can't finish to the way he's this confrontational know-it all.
it's unlistenable radio

short man syndrome
Oh, oh, me, me! Pick me, pick me! Thing is, he is capable of intelligent commentary, he just chooses to be an immature dickhead - his attempts at humor always fall through, the the banter with his sidekick rarely amounts to anything noteworthy - the opposite in fact.

Reactions: HuGo Sham

CharleyHorse

Sep 28, 2022
My guy, I never listen to tsn 690 because they're f***ing clowns. Even with heart radio, I will stream tsn 1200 because they're far superior to whatever f***tard they put out. It's like they know people will listen, so they choose some annoying ass idiot. Even when I listen to a clip I can hear some out of breath bitch breathing into the mic, or typing on a keyboard and just say f*** it and close it. I'll wait for someone here to post the quote if there's anything interesting.

The sick podcast is OK at times, you learn somethings, but I'm not sure if it's because he's Italian, French, or a combination of both, but Marinaro really has no concept, or doesn't care and will just talk over his guests, so you hear both of them talking, but nothing makes sense.

Basu-Godin podcast is the best thing we as hab fans have and Basu is still nervous, or awkward, or something when it comes to talking on any media it seems, so even that is annoying at times.

How does one of the biggest fanbases in the NHL have shit for segments to talk about the Habs? At least English radio, but it seems like people don't even like the French radio.

I find even the youtubers who try and talk about things f***ing suck, too..
I am ok (still) with a lot of the BPM hockey programing, hosts and guests (RayJean, being the exception). TSN690 is a rare go for me - like many, I might stream the odd guest. I lost all respect for Melnick ever since people asked him to pull back on the music, but instead he doubled-down, saying that if listeners didn't like listening to music, he wasn't sure he wanted them as listeners - You got it, Mitch, I am no longer a listener.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
I am ok (still) with a lot of the BPM hockey programing, hosts and guests (RayJean, being the exception). TSN690 is a rare go for me - like many, I might stream the odd guest. I lost all respect for Melnick ever since people asked him to pull back on the music, but instead he doubled-down, saying that if listeners didn't like listening to music, he wasn't sure he wanted them as listeners - You got it, Mitch, I am no longer a listener.
so agree
why they let Mitch do his music on a sports station is beyond me.
I sent in a email one time on Mitch's format, 690 said people love it lol

CharleyHorse

Sep 28, 2022

Yes, this is a strategy all too many use: If they yell loud enough, or talk over the other so the competition cannot get a word in edgewise, they believe they've won the argument, Intelligent folks know that's not how that works though :nod:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Second day in a row Marinaro went over the circumstances that led to his departure from 690. We have all heard how it stemmed from the station’s refusal for him to cease his non-affiliated podcast.

He sounded particularly bitter yesterday at his old station, about how several at the station were “making 2, 3 or 4 times more” than he was — that opened the door in my mind, to suggest that his departure was more than just about a podcast. He probably saw himself as the star of 690 and wanted compensation closer to what Melnick is making. He was never going to get it with how Bell Media runs its media outlets with a hatchet.

Not a stretch to believe that he put two and two together and figured out there was just as much if not more money from doing the Sick podcast, weekday appearances on JiC and weekday guesting on BPM.

Several of the callers from his 690 days are calling him on BPM, leading to a few settlement of accounts against Marinaro’s former colleagues.

CharleyHorse

Sep 28, 2022
Second day in a row Marinaro went over the circumstances that led to his departure from 690. We have all heard how it stemmed from the station’s refusal for him to cease his non-affiliated podcast.

He sounded particularly bitter yesterday at his old station, about how several at the station were “making 2, 3 or 4 times more” than he was — that opened the door in my mind, to suggest that his departure was more than just about a podcast. He probably saw himself as the star of 690 and wanted compensation closer to what Melnick is making. He was never going to get it with how Bell Media runs its media outlets with a hatchet.

Not a stretch to believe that he put two and two together and figured out there was just as much if not more money from doing the Sick podcast, weekday appearances on JiC and weekday guesting on BPM.

Several of the callers from his 690 days are calling him on BPM, leading to a few settlement of accounts against Marinaro’s former colleagues.
I wasn't listening yesterday or today. Given Marinaro's then-seniority, and the serious dearth of talent at the station, other than Melnick and possibly Starr, I can't imagine who was making more. But if Gallo or Campbell was earning more, that would certainly be more than enough motivation to leave.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal

from what I have gathered talking to Noel Butler and Simon Tsalikis, hosts make in the 60k range and Melnick round 200K

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
I wasn't listening yesterday or today. Given Marinaro's then-seniority, and the serious dearth of talent at the station, other than Melnick and possibly Starr, I can't imagine who was making more. But if Gallo or Campbell was earning more, that would certainly be more than enough motivation to leave.
they are all clowns

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
from what I have gathered talking to Noel Butler and Simon Tsalikis, hosts make in the 60k range and Melnick round 200K
Noel Butler should be paying me for all the nonsense he spews. I doubt he has ever said anything remotely cohesive when you factor in his putrid enunciation and one of the thickest, foreign accents you’ll hear on Canadian radio.

Some broadcasters offer quality work without a foreign accent being an issue (sometimes it’s added value) but Butler is on a whole other level.

Reactions: HuGo Sham

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
For real ?

So, youre saying i could make 200k a yeae for talking about Soccer, somethkng i know jack about ? Sign me the f*** up.

so agree
why they let Mitch do his music on a sports station is beyond me.
I sent in a email one time on Mitch's format, 690 said people love it lol
Sounds like the NHL when they do "polls" that tell them the "fans" "love" what Bettman loves when you rarely see that admitted by anyone even on a forum.

He's probably better then Melnick. Bell is notorious for overpaying idiots..

Reactions: Runner77

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Noel Butler should be paying me for all the nonsense he spews. I doubt he has ever said anything remotely cohesive when you factor in his putrid enunciation and one of the thickest, foreign accents you’ll hear on Canadian radio.

Some broadcasters offer quality work without a foreign accent being an issue (sometimes it’s added value) but Butler is on a whole other level.
lol i think you mentioned you're in the NDG area. Butler is easy to spot, he's quite the loon wandering around Westmount. I always see him jogging. He's a very good guy one on one actually.
Tsalikis as well. He frequents this terrific greek cafe in NDG and is very approachable.
I've heard this is not the case with other's on 690

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
lol i think you mentioned you're in the NDG area. Butler is easy to spot, he's quite the loon wandering around Westmount. I always see him jogging. He's a very good guy one on one actually.
Tsalikis as well. He frequents this terrific greek cafe in NDG and is very approachable.
I've heard this is not the case with other's on 690
I never go to NDG. Now that I know I might bump into these guys, I will continue my avoidance streak. :sarcasm:

Habnot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Listened to about 10 minutes of BPM yesterday with Marinaro going off on a city of Montreal rant. It was so bad - just a stream of screaming BS. No substance just feeding his schtick. He's an embarrassment to the italo's.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
Listened to about 10 minutes of BPM yesterday with Marinaro going off on a city of Montreal rant. It was so bad - just a stream of screaming BS. No substance just feeding his schtick. He's an embarrassment to the italo's.
BPM is fine in the morning until 9am and from 3pm to 5pm. In the middle... well let just say that if you're tuning in, you will be expose to some rather "interesting" take.

I can't lisnen to Marinaro and Laraque. These two ares SOOOOO anoying.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Marinaro redeemed himself today in a spirited debate with Alexandre Pratt who had challenged Marinaro’s contention yesterday that Montreal is not a sports city.

Marinaro was mostly able to not talk over Pratt thanks to Laraque acting as moderator and setting the rules early — each debater got an allotted segment to make his points. Great points and counterpoints, worth a listen.

Segment now available: Marinaro vs Pratt: Montréal, une ville de sports?

Last edited:

CharleyHorse

Sep 28, 2022
I think he's all sour grapes because he so much wants people to be all Montreal FC and shit, and comparatively speaking, soccer ranks slightly above watching paint dry, at least to me. Having said this, I have no idea how many people I just offended - Marinaro and Saputo, certainly
:naughty:.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Twisted Sinister

Living in Your Head Rent Free
Oct 8, 2014
Marinaro redeemed himself today in a spirited debate with Alexandre Pratt who had challenged Marinaro’s contention yesterday that Montreal is not a sports city.

Marinaro was mostly able to not talk over Pratt thanks to Laraque acting as moderator and setting the rules early — each debater got an allotted segment to make his points. Great points and counterpoints, worth a listen.

Segment now available: Marinaro vs Pratt: Montréal, une ville de sports?

I have to say, without having the time to listen to Tony rambling, I've been saying this for a while.

Montreal is like the trope of the the small American town that's obsessed with their one high school football team.

People have attached their identity to the Montreal Canadiens, which has led to the semi-delusional and constant defense of the organization for the last 30 years. This, in turn, has enabled their mediocrity, because people are addicted to the team and can't step away when the product is inferior.

Reactions: ReHabs and Runner77

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad