TSN: 58% of Canadians are not watching/paying attention to the Stanley Cup Finals.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
The NHL needs to get its head out of its ass vis-a-vis the schedule. I'm sorry, but no intelligent / rational person prefers to watch NHL hockey after the summer solstice. In fact, nobody wants to watch it after May.

As someone noted elsewhere, the NBA started after the NHL season and ended before the NHL season. That is messed up, and totally unnecessary.

I guess the NHL has figured out there's a 0.01% chance of slightly higher profits from gambling ads by stretching the season out to July or something... I dunno, it's insane.
Why do people make statements like this as though it is fact?

I will watch hockey year round, in fact there is absolutely nothing better than setting up the TV outside at the lake, sitting by the fire with a couple drinky-poos watching a playoff game 20 yards away from the lake shore.

it's pretty egocentric of you to think that just because YOU don't want to watch hockey after May, everybody must not want to either.

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
The NHL needs to get its head out of its ass vis-a-vis the schedule. I'm sorry, but no intelligent / rational person prefers to watch NHL hockey after the summer solstice. In fact, nobody wants to watch it after May.

As someone noted elsewhere, the NBA started after the NHL season and ended before the NHL season. That is messed up, and totally unnecessary.

I guess the NHL has figured out there's a 0.01% chance of slightly higher profits from gambling ads by stretching the season out to July or something... I dunno, it's insane.
I hate this argument about it being too nice outside now to watch hockey. How does the MLB survive if people don't watch sports in the summer if it's too nice outside

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
Why do people make statements like this as though it is fact?

I will watch hockey year round, in fact there is absolutely nothing better than setting up the TV outside at the lake, sitting by the fire with a couple drinky-poos watching a playoff game 20 yards away from the lake shore.

it's pretty egocentric of you to think that just because YOU don't want to watch hockey after May, everybody must not want to either.
Yet it's not egocentric of you at all to notify us all to the fact that you have a place on a lake!

647Hockey

May 5, 2024

I agree.

If NBA can finish a season starting later and ending earlier with the same number of games and playoff format, NHL should end quicker as the hockey season starts earlier.

As for people saying summer doesn't matter and other sports do well during summer, well it makes sense. Soccer and baseball are outdoors sports where people sit in open sunny stadiums anyway. Only a small number of teams are domed up when weather is bad (like Jays on a rainy night).

I wouldnt be surprised if ad revenue plays a part of it. The longer the season goes, the more hockey pre game and post game shows there are where they can flood the air with more Bet365 ads and whichever betting site McDavid plugs. It's not even a local team game night and there's still radio shows or hockey TV shows every day. Canadians will watch this over TSN or Sportsnet filling their TV schedule with an extra month's worth of sailing, poker, or Top 50 MLB plays of the week shows.

TheSecondSeason

Apr 20, 2024
So much for "not many people are watching" argument. Game 7 was the most watched hockey game of all time that included a canadian team. Nearly 17 million in North America. Imagine if this was New York vs Edmonton. 25 million ? 30 ?. Literally nobody tuned in to watch the Panthers. We all know this was an Edmonton driven series.

tabness

will play for 4 million 🇵🇸
Apr 4, 2014
So much for "not many people are watching" argument. Game 7 was the most watched hockey game of all time that included a canadian team. Nearly 17 million in North America. Imagine if this was New York vs Edmonton. 25 million ? 30 ?. Literally nobody tuned in to watch the Panthers. We all know this was an Edmonton driven series.

is this your stanley cope?

Reactions: ShootIt

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Yeah they drove it right to second place.

Dale Gribble

Feb 9, 2019
It's not bad considering that Edmonton is not a market like Toronto, Montreal, or even Vancouver, but changing demographics in Canada are at play as well.

Years ago, while people may not have watched they would have at least known what was going on. The apathy for Hockey nowadays is growing, meanwhile interest in Basketball, Soccer, and Cricket is growing in this Country.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad