TSN: 58% of Canadians are not watching/paying attention to the Stanley Cup Finals.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Who would watch hockey in the middle of June? Well I do, okay, but for the average person, that makes no sense. Even here in Finland the summer is in full bloom, and most people are thinking of swimming or going on a picnic instead of watching guys skate in a rink of ice. That's the sort of stuff you want to watch in the winter. That's why it's called a winter sport.

Have the finals in April instead of June and I'm sure the viewer counts would be much higher.

You guys go to picnics in the evening? And swim? Night swimming? Yeah we don't do that shit here in the US. Not in April, nor June.

Because basketball is not PLAYED ON THE ICE and basketball CAN BE PLAYED IN THE SUMMER OUTSIDE IN THE SUN.

How on earth can you POSSIBLY equate basketball with a sport that's played ON ICE by SKATING?

I don't believe I even need to type this. Do you live?

It's sort of like this: "You say that you don't feel like playing football in the snow but I was skiing there just fine."

Convincing argument.

Hockey's indoor. It can be played year round.

If you want the finals to end in April, that means the season needs to start in August. BUT AUGUST IS A SUMMER MONTH. IT'S TOO HOT OUTSIDE TO WATCH ICE HOCKEY. BLASPHEMY!

Last edited:

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
You guys go to picnics in the evening? And swim? Night swimming? Yeah we don't do that shit here in the US. Not in April, nor June.

If you want the finals to end in April, that means the season needs to start in August. BUT AUGUST IS A SUMMER MONTH. IT'S TOO HOT OUTSIDE TO WATCH ICE HOCKEY. BLASPHEMY!

REM wrote a song about night swimming called funny enough "Night Swimming" and they grew up in Georgia I believe!

zenator

Jan 1, 2004
I'd say that 42% watching is quite impressive. People overestimate how many folks are sports fans.

Out of the 16 or so friends and family that I regularly spend time with, only 4 watch hockey.

By comparison, 124 million Americans watched the Super Bowl in February 2024. Population is 340 million. That's 36%

So, a higher % of Canadians are watching the Stanley Cup Finals than Americans watched the Super Bowl.

Reactions: stewy04 and Lilou

tkb81

Mar 15, 2009

bro here in canada, where i am sask .. it doesnt get really dark till 10 ish .. you could stay at the lake till 9 .. and by then the games over .. he makes a valid point

Reactions: wraithsonwings

stewy04

Jun 19, 2016
Seems like a click bait article. Probably had Marner talk after meanwhile this I one of the craziest cup finals in history.

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
A lot of us also don’t want to pay the crook media companies exorbitant amounts of money for their dish/cable packages. And CBC won’t even let you stream the finals on the Gem app when you could watch games on there most of the playoffs.

They make it so difficult (and/or expensive) to watch the games legitimately in Canada that a large portion of the people watching are probably pirating and not showing up on their metrics.

Reactions: luiginb

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Even though I find McDavid putting up historic playoff numbers to be cool, I can't say I'm remotely interested in watching any of these games, personally. Even this last one.

These numbers actually sound surprisingly high to me.

647Hockey

May 5, 2024
I believe it.

Even just recently when Oilers got back to 3-2 and 3-3, a ton of coworkers still care more about the soccer tournaments going on than the NHL.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
A lot of us also don’t want to pay the crook media companies exorbitant amounts of money for their dish/cable packages. And CBC won’t even let you stream the finals on the Gem app when you could watch games on there most of the playoffs.

They make it so difficult (and/or expensive) to watch the games legitimately in Canada that a large portion of the people watching are probably pirating and not showing up on their metrics.
You just need a TV screen, a HDMI cable and a laptop.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
The NHL needs to get its head out of its ass vis-a-vis the schedule. I'm sorry, but no intelligent / rational person prefers to watch NHL hockey after the summer solstice. In fact, nobody wants to watch it after May.

As someone noted elsewhere, the NBA started after the NHL season and ended before the NHL season. That is messed up, and totally unnecessary.

I guess the NHL has figured out there's a 0.01% chance of slightly higher profits from gambling ads by stretching the season out to July or something... I dunno, it's insane.

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
The NHL needs to get its head out of its ass vis-a-vis the schedule. I'm sorry, but no intelligent / rational person prefers to watch NHL hockey after the summer solstice. In fact, nobody wants to watch it after May.

As someone noted elsewhere, the NBA started after the NHL season and ended before the NHL season. That is messed up, and totally unnecessary.

I guess the NHL has figured out there's a 0.01% chance of slightly higher profits from gambling ads by stretching the season out to July or something... I dunno, it's insane.
I know everyone wants to hate on the schedule. A lot of the reason is arena availability. For instance the reason for the days off between games 5 and 6 was due to a concert in Edmonton on Thursday

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad