Trying to ID this former Hawks executive

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
feJSxzD.png

The gentleman in the blue jacket seated next to Dollar Bill was always areound the Hawks years ago but I can't put a name to the face. Anybody know?

I am still amazed at how low key Bobby Hull's retirement ceremony was. The Bruins gift to him seemed more expensive than what the Hawks gave him. This is raw footage of the TV feed back to Boston for WSBK-TV.

Last edited:

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
I'm not positive, but I think that may be Bill's brother Michael.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Page 3 of my 1969 Blackhawks yearbook confirms that it is indeed Arthur M. Wirtz Jr., known as Mike.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Page 3 of my 1969 Blackhawks yearbook confirms that it is indeed Arthur M. Wirtz Jr., known as Mike.

Thanks so much. I knew the name Mike Wirtz but I never could put it to a face. I do know he was responsible for hiring Pat Foley.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...ley-hall-of-fame-spt-1116-20141115-story.html

At 26, Foley got his big break when the Blackhawks hired him as their radio voice for the 1980-81 season. Again, his father's Buick dealership played a vital role.

Mary Foley: (Michael Wirtz, Bill Wirtz's brother and the Hawks' executive vice president) was an interesting guy. If he hadn't been in hockey, he probably would have done something with automobiles. He always was at Bob's dealership. He knew Pat was into broadcasting. Bob said: "I'd like to give you a tape (of Pat calling minor league games). Put it in your car, and maybe you can listen to it on your way downtown." Whenever he came in, Bob would give him another one. Pat always said Michael knew more about the Grand Rapids Owls than he ever needed to know. That was the opening in the door.

Rocky Wirtz: Uncle Mike didn't say a lot. He passed Pat's tape around and said, "Listen to this." He sounded really good. Even though he was young, he didn't sound like a 26-year-old. He had a presence. I don't think that voice has changed one bit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad