Value of: Troy Terry to NJD

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

quackquackquack

Oct 10, 2012
Troy Terry turns 26 this year! I honestly doubt Anaheim is in a playoff spot before hes 30, so itd be best if they moved him tbh

Plus hed fetch a LOT for the rebuild!
Just laughing at the fact that you don't think the Ducks can sniff the playoffs in the next 4 years with a top 2 prospect pool, young creative offensive players, and an offensive amount of cap space coming up.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Z is 21, they could get as many assets as they can for guys like Terry and Adam Henrique and instead of just stock pilling prospect use some of it for NHLers on cap-strapped teams like the Devils did with Siegenthaler, Ryan Graves, Marino, Vanecek, etc or a bigger fisher.

But keeping him also a good option as he's their best player, if they can lock him up to a reasonable deal.
He’s 21 but you don’t want to put him in a position to make it work with a bunch of bums/prospects.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
That wasn't my point!

Thats why it is okay to keep him. Im not saying youd waste him!

But with how bad Anaheim has been the past few years I think it wise to capitalize on a stud player who has the ability to negotiate with teams; that could net you a package of up to 2-3 1sts in value!

Anaheim can find in free agency over the next 2-3 seasons a player of Terry's ilk to replace his scoring with nothing but money, and then have those assets from Terry as a cherry on top! Cap will be easy to come by for a team full of youth

You are severely over valuing draft picks compared to an established star player. Those two or three 1sts combined have a less than 50% chance of replacing what we already have in Terry. That's the reality of how often draft picks pan out. Zero reason to take that risk unless there is a trade demand.

The premise is completely absurd.

Rybo

Dec 27, 2022
New Jersey
Just laughing at the fact that you don't think the Ducks can sniff the playoffs in the next 4 years with a top 2 prospect pool, young creative offensive players, and an offensive amount of cap space coming up.
I just lived it with the Devils, who have added tons of FA/trade talent last two years, so I have a pretty good idea of how long it takes!

Anaheim can keep him but their rebuild and extended window would be stronger and longer if they moved him IMO!

Odds are Anaheim is going to add their best player in this year's draft (sorry Zegras!), so an 18yo stud forward and a 21yo Zegras are your building time.

You are severely over valuing draft picks compared to an established star player. Those two or three 1sts combined have a less than 50% chance of replacing what we already have in Terry. That's the reality of how often draft picks pan out. Zero reason to take that risk unless there is a trade demand.

The premise is completely absurd.
As I just stated above Anaheim likely drafts their best player this year! So youd be building around an 18yo and a 21yo Zegras, not a 25yo Terry!

But.. Anaheim loves him and In sure he loves it there, hopefuully it works out for them either way I like Anaheim a lot.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
That wasn't my point!

Thats why it is okay to keep him. Im not saying youd waste him!

But with how bad Anaheim has been the past few years I think it wise to capitalize on a stud player who has the ability to negotiate with teams; that could net you a package of up to 2-3 1sts in value!

Anaheim can find in free agency over the next 2-3 seasons a player of Terry's ilk to replace his scoring with nothing but money, and then have those assets from Terry as a cherry on top! Cap will be easy to come by for a team full of youth
So. In free agency, anybody could pick that guy up without losing assets

Rybo

Dec 27, 2022
New Jersey
So. In free agency, anybody could pick that guy up without losing assets
So thats part of a rebuild! When you're nearing the end you begin to add some outside talent via trade and FA. Terry's return in a trade with extension talks would garner a large package, and itd help in the shorter and longer term; and the team acquiring him can utilize him to his fullest in his prime

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
So thats part of a rebuild! When you're nearing the end you begin to add some outside talent via trade and FA. Terry's return in a trade with extension talks would garner a large package, and itd help in the shorter and longer term; and the team acquiring him can utilize him to his fullest in his prime
you don't move your best player right now in the hopes that you can overpay for a similar aged player years away (that may not even be available); that you also have to compete with other teams for.

Rybo

Dec 27, 2022
New Jersey
you don't move your best player right now in the hopes that you can overpay for a similar aged player years away (that may not even be available); that you also have to compete with other teams for.
Them being your best player on a team -100 in goal differential doesnt matter! Youre rebuilding not competing

Its fine if some think Anaheim will turn it around soon but I very much doubt it. They are as bad a team as weve seen since the 2016 Sabres! No coaching change will fix that either

Anaheim probably picks in the top-5 this and the next year or two after, then they will begin to add outside talent via trades and FA. By then Terry is 29 and almost halfway through his contract hed sign this year!

I value the young assets hed bring back over how good Terry will be in 2027! Plus this way Terry can really play to his potential before his prime is knocking on the exit door.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Them being your best player on a team -100 in goal differential doesnt matter! Youre rebuilding not competing

Its fine if some think Anaheim will turn it around soon but I very much doubt it. They are as bad a team as weve seen since the 2016 Sabres! No coaching change will fix that either

Anaheim probably picks in the top-5 this and the next year or two after, then they will begin to add outside talent via trades and FA. By then Terry is 29 and almost halfway through his contract hed sign this year!

I value the young assets hed bring back over how good Terry will be in 2027!
you completely ignored the actual point of my post i see.

it really doesn't matter what you think regarding when anaheim will be good again, you're not a ducks fan.

like in my other post, you don't move out the best player that can be a leader throughout and past the rebuild for some futures that may or may not ever be as good as current Terry is now; n the hopes that you can overpay for a similar aged player years away (that may not even be available); that you also have to compete with other teams for.

edit: oh i just see that extra bit you added; so it's not actually about helping our rebuild it's only about helping your team so that Terry can "play to his potential". We're not here to help you're team.

Rybo

Dec 27, 2022
New Jersey
you completely ignored the actual point of my post i see.

it really doesn't matter what you think regarding when anaheim will be good again, you're not a ducks fan.

like in my other post, you don't move out the best player that can be a leader throughout and past the rebuild for some futures that may or may not ever be as good as current Terry is now; n the hopes that you can overpay for a similar aged player years away (that may not even be available); that you also have to compete with other teams for.

edit: oh i just see that extra bit you added; so it's not actually about helping our rebuild it's only about helping your team so that Terry can "play to his potential". We're not here to help you're team.
I dont want Terry! Im just commenting in the thread. Lol I want Timo Meier

Its fine that you and other Ducks fans feel this way about keeping Terry. Again, he doesnt hurt to keep, he wont be overpaid, and he probably loves Anaheim!

But Ill just leave a warning on their timeline; I wouldnt get your hopes up thinking they will turn the corner here anytime soon. Their rebuild isnt even halfway through, its going to be a long grind. I experienced this with NJ where we drafted Nico Bratt Zacha Smith all before Jack was even a thought. Zegras isnt going to be your youngest or even 2nd youngest star by the time you guys contend!

Good luck Anaheim no matter what rhey do with Terry! always loved the Mighty Ducks

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
The HFboards method to building a good hockey team:

- Trade anyone on your team who is old enough to breath

- make sure your team is completely devoid of star talent. Trade all your stars for first rounders, which can become anything, even star players!

- Collect as many 18-21 year old players as humanly possible. If any of them decide to become stars before we are ready for them to be stars, trade them for more draft picks. Draft picks could become anything, even star players!

- One day, five or ten years down the line, you're just good suddenly, or I dunno just go sign some free agents or something.

Rybo

Dec 27, 2022
New Jersey
The HFboards method to building a good hockey team:

- Trade anyone on your team who is old enough to breath

- make sure your team is completely devoid of star talent. Trade all your stars for first rounders, which can become anything, even star players!

- Collect as many 18-21 year old players as humanly possible. If any of them decide to become stars before we are ready for them to be stars, trade them for more draft picks. Draft picks could become anything, even star players!

- One day, five or ten years down the line, you're just good suddenly, or I dunno just go sign some free agents or something.
New Jersey is third in the league currently after starting this exact rebuild you describe in 2014!

True rebuilds and tear downs take a very long time. Especially when you dont have many assets to start the rebuild with. Its just the nature of the beast!

• Haha
Reactions: WhatTheDuck
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad