Trouble brewing for Coffey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
As a Canucks fan, I don't think its fair to take this accusation seriously unless further evidence is released. Not saying it didn't happen, but in an arena with a ton of cameras, if it did happen, I am not sure why we wouldn't get footage of it.

But LOL at the liberal conspiracy. As if being anti racist is being woke or something stupid like that.

Carry on my fellow hockey fans. This is looking like it will be a great series.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I bet it was one of two things:

1 - he made a "psycho" gesture rotating his finger around his temple

2 - to identify the fan to boot out, he pointed at his head as to say "guy with the turban"

Neither racist, but I'm sure they'll find some way to spin it that way regardless of the reality of the event if anything even occurred in the first place.

Haha I mean how else was he supposed to describe a turban on the guy's head? :huh:

Nucks fans being Nucks fans

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

What a terribly written article. Basically all it has for substance is the THN article and the tweet itself coupled with their own absurd assumptions like that this could lead to permanent suspension from hockey. Even if true, when has the league looked at banning someone for life for outright use of racial slurs on the ice, let alone a gesture.

Then going onto the THN article. All that references is the tweet as well and had the absurd headline of "Oilers Investigating Alleged Paul Coffey Incident", then go on say in the article "At the time of this writing there has been no statement released by the Oilers or the NHL regarding this matter"

So the Oilers told this blogger that they are investigating but didn't make a statement. Yeah... sure...

His only source is an anonymous tweet by one person using two easily fabricated screen grabs.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Yup, and if so (in the sense of it being malicious), in this day of constant cell phone availability and people filming absolutely everything, no one bothered to film that? Come on

Precisely, especially if the whole sequence took long enough that it resulted in the fan getting hauled out by security. As soon as that would have started a bunch of people would have been filming the incident hoping to catch something they could post to social media. Now those videos maybe wouldn't have captured the gesture but at minimum we'd have footage of an actual fan being kicked out wearing a turban and we don't even have that.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Yeah let's go through the logic. Oilers winning the game and for some reason coffey can't control himself and just turns around and starts making "racial hand gestures" just for the sake of it.

You'll notice all these eye witnesses when asked to explain what they saw... What these gestures were refuse to do so. Why? Because it's "yeah its him points at his head" could do the same if he wore glasses or a hat.

All these eye witnesses amount to 1 guy who has posted screen caps of a DM from someone who says they saw it as well (I could create the same DM screen grab on my phone in 30 seconds) and an anonymous reddit user with 1 comments other than the comments related to this in their history that he somehow managed to find within minutes of it being posted in a thread with 100 of other comments about it, but not by eyewitnesses.

Seems to me one person in the world saw it, which means it either didn't happen or they completely misinterpreted the gesture.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
What a terribly written article. Basically all it has for substance is the THN article and the tweet itself coupled with their own absurd assumptions like that this could lead to permanent suspension from hockey. Even if true, when has the league looked at banning someone for life for outright use of racial slurs on the ice, let alone a gesture.

Then going onto the THN article. All that references is the tweet as well and had the absurd headline of "Oilers Investigating Alleged Paul Coffey Incident", then go on say in the article "At the time of this writing there has been no statement released by the Oilers or the NHL regarding this matter"

So the Oilers told this blogger that they are investigating but didn't make a statement. Yeah... sure...

His only source is an anonymous tweet by one person using two easily fabricated screen grabs.
What would you expect from this THN article? Anything to grab a few clicks. LOL.

Reactions: oilers'72 and bone

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Well...to be fair we have our fair share of 'look for racism under every rock' SJW's as well.
Unfortunately they are everywhere it seems.

To be fair, I don't mind people really trying to expose it and get rid of it especially in situations where it can be damaging, but the current culture of making everything about race isn't healthy. It's like saying anything negative about anyone who's from another culture or even trying to hold them accountable for their actions, gets turned into a declaration of racism.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Hope it's just the crime of having to point at a person that happens to have a turban, which obviously is not bad at all.

There must be video for the NHL to use. We will probably end up getting decent certainty if something bad was actually done or not.

Wish fans weren't so damn obnoxious too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad