Rumor: Trouba to Detroit (Rangers retaining)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Yzerman's probably gotten a ballpark on the asking figures for the guys he would want to sign.. I figure part of us going after Trouba is that we want to upgrade that spot, but aren't liking our chances or prices at upgrading through other means.
I think Roy has priced out of what he wanted to do to balance other areas of the roster.

Reactions: Henkka and Winger98

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Yzerman's probably gotten a ballpark on the asking figures for the guys he would want to sign.. I figure part of us going after Trouba is that we want to upgrade that spot, but aren't liking our chances or prices at upgrading through other means.
Well wouldn't a studious GM wait till after those FA's price themselves out vs guess or tamper before UFA starts. (Nothings happened yet so we'll see).

If what you say is true, why wouldn't you wait a week into FA just to see what goes down vs make this trade and bring yourself out of the game/market.

How many teams can even really make this type of trade besides the Red Wings with our cap space and his no trade list.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
We need a big defensive righty for the second pairing. That was actually the attempt with Petry and Holl. So this makes sense, again waiting to see the return. But I don't think a guy that a bunch of us like is going as a prospect, I do expect to pay a little on Trouba with 31% retention. This makes the top 4 better for sure, one of the objectives of the off-season. I also know with Trouba on ice nobody is going to be cheap-shoting Edvinsson on that second pairing which has happened a few times in the AHL.

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023
I don't hate it if there's another move to get a partner for Mo on the first pairing. But if this is the big defense retool..not in love.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I think Roy has priced out of what he wanted to do to balance other areas of the roster.

that was my guess, too.

Well wouldn't a studious GM wait till after those FA's price themselves out vs guess or tamper before UFA starts. (Nothings happened yet so we'll see).

If what you say is true, why wouldn't you wait a week into FA just to see what goes down vs make this trade and bring yourself out of the game/market.

How many teams can even really make this type of trade besides the Red Wings with our cap space and his no trade list.

Because you have other moves you want to make, too, and they all depend on each other. And there are 31 other GMs also looking to make moves. You wait, you might get a slightly better price on someone. But you also run the risk of getting no one, or having to settle for someone you didn't really want but who is the only piece left available.

There are risks to either path, but I prefer Yzerman being aggressive and building a team he wants than the one he gets left with.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
that was my guess, too.

Because you have other moves you want to make, too, and they all depend on each other. And there are 31 other GMs also looking to make moves. You wait, you might get a slightly better price on someone. But you also run the risk of getting no one, or having to settle for someone you didn't really want but who is the only piece left available.

There are risks to either path, but I prefer Yzerman being aggressive and building a team he wants than the one he gets left with.
Right now, isn't Yzerman assuming that already making a trade like this?

I guess I just don't buy there is a lineup of suitors for Trouba, so waiting to make the trade doesn't hurt Yzerman, making the trade and strapping his cap hurts more, imo.

I also want to see the deal before I get hyped either way. I'm just sitting here like... There are players in UFA you can get that are almost as good if not better without any trade or assets lost. Idk if they'd cost 5.5 million even.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I want the naysayers here to make a data driven argument against Trouba. Not just repeating that he’s bad.
1719675889849.png

1719675843354.png

If you can't see the nose dive in his possession numbers MOD

Attachments

• 1719675869208.png
    1719675869208.png
    8.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: taliababa

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Dude I'm not Professor X and using telepathy. This is literally taken from factual information from Emily, Weekes, etc. last night and Larry Brooks here in NY.

Trouba still has value and if there's retention, it's going to be something of decent value.
I get that that's the rumor, I am just saying that at least this Red Wings fan absolutely hates it.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Are you in the minority thinking Holl was a bad signing? :sarcasm:

I thought Holl would provide bottom 4 toughness. The thing about Yzerman is he doesn't swing for the fences, he makes incremental up moves. Petry comes along that pushed Holl out. That was a mistake on Yzerman, but also he didn't have a crystal ball.

This is like the Walman < Trouba scenario. Trouba is 2x better than Walman = incremental better move with low term (if he goes UFA, he has to pay big term, and higher salary).

People sprout out that "walman was our 2nd best dman", that's without Edvinsson on the team -tho. Well, Trouba would be Detroit's 2nd best dman WITH Edvinsson on the team. He'll bring more defensive stability.

Yzerman isn't trying to mortgage the future for a 105 point season. He's trying to make incremental moves to hopefully improve this team to a 98 point season.... without costing the future.

It makes perfect sense, but people here are impatient and want SFY to swing for the fences. It's a bit puzzling how folks here don't want to give up GREAT future assets for good NHL players. But also want good NHL players like "poof", magically appear.

Winner culture is the next step. Trouba will bring stability. I'd prefer montour... but he is also "old" If trouba is old and will cost SALARY and TERM!

Does Trouba playing 20 minutes a night improve the team over Walman. Yes. The answer is yes.

Reactions: Gibby and Winger98

Ad

Upcoming events

• Portugal vs Slovenia
    KNOCKOUT Portugal vs Slovenia
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $28,564.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bolivia vs Panama
    Bolivia vs Panama
    Wagers: 1