Trouba huge hit

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Essentially, no. If you want to introduce a rule that says you can't exert force from the ground up when you're hitting someone, nor can your feet leave the ice after the hit, you have all but killed hitting in hockey.

Which, if that's what you want, is a fine thing to advocate for, I suppose.

There is already a rule in place that says you can't leave your feet before you deliver the hit. Because that's something the player has control over.

This is utter bullshit. It's entirely possible to hit someone extremely hard without moving up while doing it. Players leave the ice while they're hitting someone to increase the force delivered.

The issue isn't with players skates being off the ice at some point after a hit. It's the motion of going low to high through the hit.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
This is utter bullshit. It's entirely possible to hit someone extremely hard without moving up while doing it. Players leave the ice while they're hitting someone to increase the force delivered.

The issue isn't with players skates being off the ice at some point after a hit. It's the motion of going low to high through the hit.
Okay, let's assume it's utter bullshit. Go ahead and explain the physics of hitting someone extremely hard without exerting force from the ground to me.

Without skating into a player, or jumping into a player, which is illegal per the charging rule.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
This is the basic physics of hitting. Every NHL hit you have ever seen has the guys popping up, not because it's intentional, but because that's where the momentum from the force of collision goes. Take a step and drive your shoulder into a wall, does the wall push you downwards or backwards? It's going to send your momentum upwards.

Heck, just think of a high five. Do those go down, or your hands bounce backwards off each other? There's forward momentum, and they go up.

"For every action there is a perpendicular reaction"
-Sir Isaac Newton
-Michael Scott
-LeafGrief

A high five moves up because you're still driving your arm forward. The momentum of a body will make it continue to move in the direction it's currently going. That's the definition of momentum.

Okay, let's assume it's utter bullshit. Go ahead and explain the physics of hitting someone extremely hard without exerting force from the ground to me.

Without skating into a player, or jumping into a player, which is illegal per the charging rule.

Who said you can't skate into them? Go ahead and skate into them, don't go low to high, especially if you're hitting the head.

If you're being pedantic about how all of a players force would come from friction with the ice surface 'ground' ok fine. A player hits someone hard by having momentum in the x-axis, the motion in the y-axis is added to increase acceleration AND move that force towards the head.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
-Sir Isaac Newton
-Michael Scott
-LeafGrief

A high five moves up because you're still driving your arm forward. The momentum of a body will make it continue to move in the direction it's currently going. That's the definition of momentum.

Who said you can't skate into them? Go ahead and skate into them, don't go low to high, especially if you're hitting the head.
Screen Shot 2024-10-23 at 10.31.45 AM.png

The rule you want amended?

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
-Sir Isaac Newton
-Michael Scott
-LeafGrief

I think you just explained hockey physics to yourself. Trouba and Barron are both moving forward, like our high five, therefore they go up after the contact. Objects will continue to move in the same direction unless acted on by an outside force, aka another hockey player who you're smoking into next week. The force from their momentum going into the hit can't continue to go forward, each other's bodies are solid objects in the way, so the force has to go in a different direction. Some of it is backwards, some of it is up, which lifts off their skates, and the rest reverberates through their bodies.

Reactions: Romang67

NYR Quest for Cup

Apr 29, 2012
I don't see him lowering his body. He's skating into the zone. I see him adjusting his angle and attempting to shift to the right to make a pass after zone entry. He looked down ever so slightly. I'd say contact with head and chest is simultaneous. Barron adjusting his position exposes his chest and face.

Trouba launches upward and through the hit and leaves his feet in the process.

Barron needs to know it's Trouba and what Trouba has a history of. I think there's a way to hit Barron without going that high, but it's Trouba.
I’m sorry this is delusional.

No launch upward. No leaving the feet. This is as clean hit there is with an unfortunate result.

Hope Barron will be ok, but skating with your head down isn’t a good idea in PeeWees let alone the NHL.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
No, because you can exert force from the ground up? Are you not reading what I'm writing?

Me: Who said you can't skate into them
You: The rule you quote
You: paste rule
Me: so you're saying that rule prevents you from skating into people
You: No

Help me understand

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
Trouba is an asshole who walks the line and often crosses over it with his blatant elbows.

This isn’t that though. This hit is perfectly legal. Barron put himself in an awful spot and paid an awful price, I hope he recovers well.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Me: Who said you can't skate into them
You: The rule you quote
You: paste rule
Me: so you're saying that rule prevents you from skating into people
You: No

Help me understand
What? Are you now also not reading what you yourself are writing?

So you believe that rule prevents all hitting?
This is what your response was after I posted the charging rule that says you can't skate into people.

I am most certainly saying that the rule is saying you can't skate into people. It's in the first sentence of the rule I posted. There is no other way of reading that rule.

I don't think that prevents all hitting, because you're allowed to exert force from the ground.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I think you just explained hockey physics to yourself. Trouba and Barron are both moving forward, like our high five, therefore they go up after the contact. Objects will continue to move in the same direction unless acted on by an outside force, aka another hockey player who you're smoking into next week. The force from their momentum going into the hit can't continue to go forward, each other's bodies are solid objects in the way, so the force has to go in a different direction. Some of it is backwards, some of it is up, which lifts off their skates, and the rest reverberates through their bodies.

When you're giving someone a high five you're moving your up as you do it. Players don't skate into the air. If they move up after a hit it means they were moving up prior to the hit.

Otherwise the reaction of two bodies colliding is an equal force in the OPPOSITE direction, not in a perpendicular direction.

Cars pop up after a collision not because they were moving upwards prior to the crash, but because they're releasing angular momentum from their axles. Hockey players don't have an equivalent angular momentum storage.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
When you're giving someone a high five you're moving your up as you do it. Players don't skate into the air. If they move up after a hit it means they were moving up prior to the hit.

Otherwise the reaction of two bodies colliding is an equal force in the OPPOSITE direction, not in a perpendicular direction.

Cars pop up after a collision not because they were moving upwards prior to the crash, but because they're releasing angular momentum from their axles. Hockey players don't have an equivalent angular momentum storage.
every stride of every skater ever taken had upward momentum, because the skate is on the foot that is attached to the ice. you're pushing down, against the ground.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Trouba does nothing wrong here, he doesn't change his body position at all, he doesn't stick the elbow out and his feet are on the ice when contact happens.

Nobody wants to see players get hurt, but they've got to learn you can't lean for a puck at the blueline with Trouba on the ice.

To me this one is a like when Trouba got Meier in the playoffs, Timo reaches for a puck after Trouba has gotten in to his hitting position and exposes his head to contact.

All that being said reputation can be a funny thing, this will be seen as illegal because a dirty player threw it just like Ranger fans think Subban on Blais was a dirty play because it was Subban we all know his history.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
What? Are you now also not reading what you yourself are writing?

This is what your response was after I posted the charging rule that says you can't skate into people.

I am most certainly saying that the rule is saying you can't skate into people. It's in the first sentence of the rule I posted. There is no other way of reading that rule.

"I don't think that prevents all hitting, because you're allowed to exert force from the ground.

The rule is grammatically nonsense it doesn't say you can't skate into people. It actually parses into you can't skate.

"A minor or major penalty shall be imposed on a player who skates, jumps into or charges an opponent in any manner."

This rule has three cases, a player who:
1. Skates
2. Jumps into
3. Charges an opponent in any manner

Since a plain text reading of penalizing any player who skates is asinine we are forced to assume they made an error and mean:

A player who charges an opponent by:
1. Skating into them
2. Jumping into them
3. Charging them by any other manner

In which case we look at the second paragraph and how the NHL defines charging. Which would hardly preclude all skating into someone.

The phrase 'force from the ground' doesn't show up anywhere. What do you mean when you say this?

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Trouba is 6’3 per NHL.com.
Barron is 6’2 per NHL.com.
Trouba crouches low to brace for the hit and does not jump into the hit.
Trouba does not pick the head due to what would be a poor angle of approach.

How is Trouba making contact with Barron’s head if he’s not ducking even lower than Trouba’s crouch?

Reactions: Kupo

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
It's called physics. :dunce::dunce::dunce:

dewsfy.gif

Those engines are still powered after they collide. A player stops skating prior to hitting.

every stride of every skater ever taken had upward momentum, because the skate is on the foot that is attached to the ice. you're pushing down, against the ground.

And none of those players overcomes gravity unless they're jumping. Being in a collision doesn't lesson the effect of gravity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad