Trouba huge hit

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Did his parents not teach him to look both ways before crossing the street? Hard to believe he's survived this long with that kind of situational awareness.

I'm just a f***ing hockey fan and I know that Jacob Trouba always goes for a big hit. You'd think a professional would be even more aware and accordingly would want to avoid completely opening himself up to getting hammered up high.

Nasty but clean hit.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Trouba's feet come up at contact, not before. That's one of my big tests. I loathe Trouba, but that's not a dirty hit. He also glided into the hit, so it wasn't a charge. That's another test. If folks want to talk about fundamentally altering the rules in the NHL, fine, but that's not really a debate about this hit in particular.

Justin Barron should find another line of work, because that kind of decision making, vision, whatever is a hazard in the NHL. There is no excuse for taking that route. Dump, slow down, and get ready to put your stick in Trouba's mouth, because nobody should trust Trouba's judgment. But this was reckless on Barron's part to the extreme.

Also, this is not victim blaming ffs. Not not not. He's a professional athlete, a consenting adult, who made a play every coach in his life would tell him never to make, but he probably got away with it for the vast majority of it because he was bigger and/or faster than everyone else. Well, not in the NHL.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
problem is always gonna be as long as the NHL allows those hits as legal that's what's gonna go on. Everything Trouba did was textbook...elbows down, step up and lower the shoulder. The sticky part is always being the other guy being in a vulnerable spot because of his own positioning and ignorance, the hit mechanics itself are "fine".

I don't like players getting hurt but it always kinda goes back to "how do you police the game and allow hitting but not THAT kind of hitting", because in no way does Trouba go into that targeting someones head intentionally, this isn't matt cooke (or previous incarnations of trouba!) with a flying elbow to the head, it's a textbook check but if it's illegal than no player is ever gonna know if they try to step up and hit someone else whether they maybe get chest/shoulder or they get the other player in the head because of how fast the game goes and the dynamics.

So yeah...you come down to are we going to allow open ice hitting or not?

And dipping into the blaming the victim pool here but godddaaaaaaaaaaaaamn how do you pull that shit on Trouba's side of the ice
Time for two-hand touch and one hit every period (after 7 Mississippi, of course).

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Habs are a soft ass team. All they got is Xhekaj to fall back on but all that dude does is jump people from behind to win fights.

Thing is you can't even play him in every game because he's 9 packs of ass at playing hockey

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Barron has 4 options.
1. Cut to right sooner and toss the puck to an area that doesn't have 3 NYR, like the lower right corner.
2. Dump the puck down the wall after the big gap given when crossing the red line.
3. Keep the puck and try to sneak down the wall, which would have resulted in a much safer hit to take along the boards.
4. Keep the puck and put yourself in a position to be hit even harder.

He chose the wrong option.

Conversations on how Trouba could have led up are fair. But this isn't what the NHL calls a vulnerable position. Skating up the wing with a player in front of you is not a vulnerable position, and Barron lack of ability to recognize that he's entering a bad position should come with some accountability.

Last edited:

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Agree with everything, except I don’t think Barron had his head up enough to see anyone. It’s the nhl. Guys need to keep their head up with and without the puck. Barron has a clear lack of skill and is likely a little slow to process what’s going on. He’s an AHL level player. The nhl happens too fast for him.

I don’t know enough to speak on his skill level, but I agree that he’s not beyond fault here. Another poster put up a video that pretty clearly shows Barron ducking to cut inside right as Trouba comes in to lay the hit.

There’s a real tendency for people to make stuff like this as personal as possible (ie Trouba is a piece of shot who doesn’t care about anyone), but everything were talking about should be talked about in the context of what it is. A hockey game. It’s not a guy flattening an unsuspecting pedestrian on the sidewalk.

In hockey, the player being hit does have a level of responsibility for their safety given what’s happening on the ice. It’s why putting a beer leaguer out against professionals would be dangerous. They can’t process the game fast enough nor do they have the skill to avoid danger. I’m not trying to associate Barron with that level of player, but he doesn’t do what an NHL player should be doing in this situation when he’s in a spot where contact is clearly a possibility .

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Barron has 4 options.
1. Cut to right sooner and toss the puck to an area that doesn't have 3 NYR, like the lower right corner.
2. Dump the puck down the wall after the big cap given when crossing the red line.
3. Keep the puck and try to sneak down the wall, which would have resulted in a much safer hit to take along the boards.
4. Keep the puck and put yourself in a position to be hit even harder.

He chose the wrong option.

Conversations on how Trouba could have led up are fair. But this isn't what the NHL calls a vulnerable position. Skating up the wing with a player in front of you is not a vulnerable position, and Barron lack of ability to recognize that he's entering a bad position should come with some accountability.
Plenty of people in this thread talking about how this is a clean hit but the NHL still needs to change to protect its players, but it’s the players who need to protect the players and in this case Barron. Less than 10 years ago this is an extremely rare instance because everyone and their dog knew to hug the boards. Just like how leg injuries are up form offensive players trying to leap to the side to avoid contact. And just like people getting drilled into the boards because entirely too many forwards “defend” themselves from hits along the wall by turning their back to the defender while standing with a gap between them and the boards.

It’s literally the safest it’s ever been to play in this league, and players are still getting hurt by doing things that would’ve been considered suicidal in 2000s.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Chicken wing? Or shoulder?

View attachment 920453

c6gOiP.gif
Trouba’s head is barely above the dasher, he’d have to drop on his knees to be any lower, how anyone can say any head contact here is his fault, is beyond me.

Reactions: Kupo

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Dude comes across the blueline with his head up, sees Jacob Trouba eight feet away, and then decides he's going to look down at the puck? Bro's going to have a week in a dark room to think about this one, he's obviously concussed, but that is entirely on him. I don't want to get hit like that in my beer league, but you bet your ass that I want to see that on my TV. 10/10 hit, clean, and entirely on the Barron to protect himself there. Keep your head up, kid.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
The league needs to more clearly amend charging to keep players from popping up into / jumping into hits. The standard shouldn't solely be airborne prior to contact. This is doubly true if the contact is essentially only someone's head.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Dude comes across the blueline with his head up, sees Jacob Trouba eight feet away, and then decides he's going to look down at the puck? Bro's going to have a week in a dark room to think about this one, he's obviously concussed, but that is entirely on him. I don't want to get hit like that in my beer league, but you bet your ass that I want to see that on my TV. 10/10 hit, clean, and entirely on the Barron to protect himself there. Keep your head up, kid.
Yikes. That event made me cringe, It's not dirty, but I never want to see hits like that which result from pure recklessness. It's awful.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
The league needs to more clearly amend charging to keep players from popping up into / jumping into hits. The standard shouldn't solely be airborne prior to contact. This is doubly true if the contact is essentially only someone's head.
Why?

To expand, by "amending" charging in that manner, you're not slightly altering it to clarify what charging is. You're changing it to include hitting.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
They might need to do so, but that has absolutely nothing to do with this hit, as you can clearly see Trouba’s shoulder being way below the dasher before, during and after contact so he can’t be jumping or popping into it…

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Why?

To expand, by "amending" charging in that manner, you're not amending the meaning of charging. You're changing it to include hitting.

Right, because it's not possible to hit someone without timing it so you leave your feet as you collide.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Yikes. That event made me cringe, It's not dirty, but I never want to see hits like that which result from pure recklessness. It's awful.
Well, I'm perfectly happy to validate your feelings on this, there's nothing inherently wrong for being "soft" (you may not like the term but it conveys the message in a way everyone will understand, feel free to choose your own), and I'm not going to question your inherent masculinity for this soft attitude. But hot damn, huge hits in sports are awesome, and the popularity of combat sports like MMA and boxing also point out that there are huge, huge swathes of us who enjoy this. Physical, punishing plays give the competition real stakes, it gives it an element of primacy that speaks to our lizard brains that's extremely satisfying.

The only reckless player in this clip is Barron. He's a professional hockey player playing his trade in the best league in the world. He crosses the blueline and then puts his head down against the most notorious headhunter in the league. Trouba has every right from the rulebook and every impetus from his coach, teammates, and fans, to plaster the guy, and he did it textbook. By all means, you can have the opinion that players shouldn't be eligible to be hit in this situation, but at that point you're asking for a wholesale attitude change in how hockey approaches hitting and its own violence, and I don't think anyone actually needs to validate that soft shit.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Right, because it's not possible to hit someone without timing it so you leave your feet as you collide.
Essentially, no. If you want to introduce a rule that says you can't exert force from the ground up when you're hitting someone, nor can your feet leave the ice after the hit, you have all but killed hitting in hockey.

Which, if that's what you want, is a fine thing to advocate for, I suppose.

There is already a rule in place that says you can't leave your feet before you deliver the hit. Because that's something the player has control over.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
They might need to do so, but that has absolutely nothing to do with this hit, as you can clearly see Trouba’s shoulder being way below the dasher before, during and after contact so he can’t be jumping or popping into it…

He does track very low, I'll agree with that. But he pops up through the hit, reference 0:33-0:35 in the video. That's why his right skate comes off the ice. He didn't Jump but goes low and is moving up through the point of contact.

That's the motion which puts players at extra risk for concussion.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
He does track very low, I'll agree with that. But he pops up through the hit, reference 0:33-0:35 in the video. That's why his right skate comes off the ice. He didn't Jump but goes low and is moving up through the point of contact.

That's the motion which puts players at extra risk for concussion.
This is the basic physics of hitting. Every NHL hit you have ever seen has the guys popping up, not because it's intentional, but because that's where the momentum from the force of collision goes. Take a step and drive your shoulder into a wall, does the wall push you downwards or backwards? It's going to send your momentum upwards.

Heck, just think of a high five. Do those go down, or your hands bounce backwards off each other? There's forward momentum, and they go up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad