Trouba huge hit

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
Oh wait. I said the hit was legal so I don't know the rules?

And because I believe we should protect the young players life and health as a priority over satisfying the fans greed for violence, you accuse me of moral superiority?

And I'm the one who's delusional?

Ok.

So, the rules of hockey are a fans greed for violence, because this hit is inside the established rules of play? And I get the need to protect players (young and old), but shouldn't the players protect themselves also?

Reactions: sepster

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
“Something is wrong in a culture when lowering your head is seen as worse than trying to kill someone”.

I mean…is the melodrama of that statement not palpable to you? Are we talking about hockey or is this a debate on honor killings in the Middle East?

Anyways, by the book, pretty easy argument for the head being the primary point of contact. I’m not on board with the implication as to how the hit is so much worse because of the score (far as I’m concerned a hit in a 0-0 game at the NHL level is no more or less justified than in a 10-0 game), but I do think it could earn a suspension.

Call it “victim blaming” if you like (again, I think it’s fair to look at multiple angles considering we are talking sport and not about actual societal crime), but Barron needs to do better to protect himself there. He sees Trouba closing on him and yet does absolutely nothing to prepare for contact. The subsequent vulnerability ended up exposing him to the full brunt of the contact.
Agree with everything, except I don’t think Barron had his head up enough to see anyone. It’s the nhl. Guys need to keep their head up with and without the puck. Barron has a clear lack of skill and is likely a little slow to process what’s going on. He’s an AHL level player. The nhl happens too fast for him.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Good to see McIlrath finally living up to his draft :sarcasm:

I can respect a guy who has stuck it out like McIlrath has. He's not a complainer. He continued to work at getting better. He took on a role with the Hershey Bears and was important to a championship or two.

There were also some things out of McIlrath's control that hampered his chances to become an NHL player earlier in his career. The NHL at the time was moving away from players like him an then he had a pretty devastating kneecap displacement injury in a development camp the year he was turning pro. That took him a long time to get over and those are years that are key to a young players development.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Chicken wing? Or shoulder?

View attachment 920453

c6gOiP.gif
I didn't say he led with his elbow. I said his elbow came through, as it always does.

Yes he led with his shoulder. That doesn't exonerate him from this 100% clear head hit.
Do you have a GIF for that?

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Agree with everything, except I don’t think Barron had his head up enough to see anyone. It’s the nhl. Guys need to keep their head up with and without the puck. Barron has a clear lack of skill and is likely a little slow to process what’s going on. He’s an AHL level player. The nhl happens too fast for him.

Trouba was in front of Barron the moment he picked up the puck in his own zone and headed up the ice and through both neutral zones. You would think he realized that but afterwards at least I'm not so sure. It's a combat sport and being aware of your surroundings is a key to staying healthy. Rangers have had issues with Chytil not seeing hits coming his way. One year there's an accidental collision with Evan Rodrigues. Last year he got smoked by Jesper Fast. It doesn't take much and if you're not aware of the dangers around you you can get hurt. This is pretty much the case here. People should also keep in mind that hits happen fast and when a player commits to making a hit there really is no pulling up. The hitter has no control over someone ducking their head down before impact.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
WHAT A HIT!!!! Justin Barron got destroyed. Lowered his body for some reason and took the hit in his head. No penalty on the play but will no doubt cause an uproar.

Waiting for video…

I don't see him lowering his body. He's skating into the zone. I see him adjusting his angle and attempting to shift to the right to make a pass after zone entry. He looked down ever so slightly. I'd say contact with head and chest is simultaneous. Barron adjusting his position exposes his chest and face.

Trouba launches upward and through the hit and leaves his feet in the process.

Barron needs to know it's Trouba and what Trouba has a history of. I think there's a way to hit Barron without going that high, but it's Trouba.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I don't see him lowering his body. He's skating into the zone. I see him adjusting his angle and attempting to shift to the right to make a pass after zone entry. He looked down ever so slightly. I'd say contact with head and chest is simultaneous. Barron adjusting his position exposes his chest and face.

Barron needs to know it's Trouba and what Trouba has a history of. I think there's a way to hit Barron without going that high, but it's Trouba.
What? That was a textbook hit. Barron needs to play with his head up. If his head is up he takes that hit and plays on.

Reactions: nbwingsfan

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
Too many pages to sort though but was this angle posted?

That’s a dirty hit.
I think this angle shows exactly why it wasn’t a dirty hit. barron ducks down just before impact, which leads to a headshot. his body position 100% changes in a way that makes head contact unavoidable. trouba is already committing to the hit and barron decides to play a little limbo, so he gets blasted.

this is a textbook example of how important it is to protect yourself and understanding who your opposition is at a given moment.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

He literally lowered his entire body. He head was at the level of the dasher when he got hit. Nothing Trouba can do there, like you said Barron needs to be more aware when he's on the ice against a big hitter.

Reactions: MysticLeviathan

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
which hit on a Ranger player exactly are you talking about here?
well I still maintain the "hits" that took out Fox's knee last year were hand waived away by much of hfboards despite them basically being "trying to get a piece of Fox" as he skated past them and instead getting his leg, but I guess a we love knee shots around here but dislike head shots

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
This is a perfect view of why the hit ended up the way it did. Trouba is already crouched down to hit through the body. Barron is skating in more of an upright position carrying the puck into the zone. He realizes too late that he's going to get hit and looks like he attempts to slow down and cut to the middle changing his body position to more of a crouched position and dropping his body to a lower position putting his head into the path of contact. For those saying his body position didn't change right before the hit, look at where his numbers are compared to the top of the boards. They go from the bottom of the numbers being at the top of the boards to the tops of the numbers being below the top of the boards. In a slowed down video that happens of the course of 1-2 seconds, now imagine how fast it happened in real time. There was absolutely no way Trouba could have avoided head contact because Barron's body position changed so drastically in a very short time frame AFTER Trouba was already crouched and committed to the hit.
@SirKillalot

Reactions: nbwingsfan

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
well I still maintain the "hits" that took out Fox's knee last year were hand waived away by much of hfboards despite them basically being "trying to get a piece of Fox" as he skated past them and instead getting his leg, but I guess a we love knee shots around here but dislike head shots
as a rangers fan i mostly disagree. i never thought the initial knee on knee from Aho was intentional or dirty. it's a very fast game and Fox makes a living by deceiving his intentions as long as possible. I think sometimes a leg is just not where you expect it to be when you're moving at speed.

Now the Jensen redux - well that's clearly targeting an opponents vulnerability. but in the playoffs frankly i dont think that's below board. It's the Cup, you do what you have to. Id love for a ranger to line him up (for a legal but hard hit) this year, but we swept the series anyway.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Holy shit Barron got f%$%ked :laugh:

Yeah im sorry but that looks like a clean hit. A lot of trouba's hit can be borderline dirty. This aint one of them

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

If your employed place offers vision benefits, take them up on it.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad