Trouba huge hit

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
Disagree. Players skating with their head down wouldn't be untouchable. You can still check them without trying to make hit a highlight reel hit. You check them by accounting for the fact that they are in a vulnerable state. The goal of hockey is not to make spectacular checks, it's to take control of the puck. If they player doesn't see you coming, you don't need to apply full force to make him lose control of the puck.

I'm asking seriously. If a guy is skating full speed while bent over with his head down, how do you check them in a way you can be reasonably certain will not make any head contact?

Reactions: Takeahnase and Kupo

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
Where does this nonsense about Barron "skating with his head down" come from?
Barron is in a completely normal body position for someone who is a) skating and b) having the puck on his stick. He has not - in any way, shape or form - "lowered his head". His posture didn't change, nor can he do anything about how physics work. It seems like some people really need a course of basic physics to learn how the movement of a body and momentum work. No player who skates hard is in a fully upright position, the body will always lean forward while doing so. Heck, even Trouba, who is skating backwards, is leaning forward a lot. The only time where you are actually fully upgright, is when you are lazily gliding somewhere.

And yes, the onus is on the player who wants to make a hit to make sure that he can actually do so. Again - HE - has to make sure the hit will play out correctly. He can't just waltz around and go for a hit and count on the opponent to put himself in the right situation to be hit in the first place. It is on him to make sure that the player will be in a position where he can land a body check. If a player is standing with his face towards the boards, an opponent can't just run in him from behind and then claim the player should have turned so he could have been hit. No, it is on him to make sure the player is in a position to be hit before he even starts making an attempt to hit. Hits are a means to seperate an opponent from the puck under specific circumstances, not a god given right to enact in any way a player wants. If the circumstances aren't there, then he can't make a hit, simple as that. That's how the rules have always been, no matter how much some people like to pretend otherwise.

And no, players wouldn't just skate with their head down all the time, because a) no one really does that on purpose - and it didn't happen here either - and b) most players know how to land a proper hit or how to stop them in other ways.

Reactions: SirKillalot

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
If I’m skating directly at you with my head down, making me the equivalent of 4 feet tall… how are you going to avoid my head?

Now you're telling it's the player with the head down who's throwing the body check or what? You mean the checking player has absolutely no control over his own body?

Throwing a hit is an action. Action comes from a decision. A decision can be changed or modified if the player you are targetting is in a vulnerable state.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
Where does this nonsense about Barron "skating with his head down" come from?
Barron is in a completely normal body position for someone who is a) skating and b) having the puck on his stick. He has not - in any way, shape or form - "lowered his head". His posture didn't change, nor can he do anything about how physics work. It seems like some people really need a course of basic physics to learn how the movement of a body and momentum work. No player who skates hard is in a fully upright position, the body will always lean forward while doing so. Heck, even Trouba, who is skating backwards, is leaning forward a lot. The only time where you are actually fully upgright, is when you are lazily gliding somewhere.

And yes, the onus is on the player who wants to make a hit to make sure that he can actually do so. Again - HE - has to make sure the hit will play out correctly. He can't just waltz around and go for a hit and count on the opponent to put himself in the right situation to be hit in the first place. It is on him to make sure that the player will be in a position where he can land a body check. If a player is standing with his face towards the boards, an opponent can't just run in him from behind and then claim the player should have turned so he could have been hit. No, it is on him to make sure the player is in a position to be hit before he even starts making an attempt to hit. Hits are a means to seperate an opponent from the puck under specific circumstances, not a god given right to enact in any way a player wants. If the circumstances aren't there, then he can't make a hit, simple as that.

And no, players wouldn't just skate with their head down all the time, because a) no one really does that on purpose - and it didn't happen here either - and b) most players know how to land a proper hit or how to stop them in other ways.

In the most competitive league on the planet, players would absolutely skate with their head down in order to gain an advantage knowing they cannot be hit.

Reactions: bland

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
There was zero way to make this hit, which was through the body, without making head contact.

I’ll let others keep laughing at your horrible takes. You can’t seem to even grasp the most simple of concepts.
Yet if you go look it up, there is plenty of hits that goes through the body that doesn't make head contact, and especially there are plenty of hits that doesn't make the head as the point of contact where it jolts back before the follow through.
There is also many hits where it is a follow through and the head gets hit as part of the hit, clean hit in such matters, this was not so.
Frankly you shouldn't even need to have to go look it up, you should know this by now.

Talking about concepts and you refer to a video of a McAvoy hit that isn't even relatable to this as the circumstances are completely different and not within the same concept of hit.

The people laughing are old school hillbillies for the most who's not caught up to our current time or rules of the game.

• Haha
Reactions: nbwingsfan

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
I'm asking seriously. If a guy is skating full speed while bent over with his head down, how do you check them in a way you can be reasonably certain will not make any head contact?

If you think you might seriously injure a player you want to hit because he's in a vulnerable position, maybe it's still time to change your course of action? In the name of... decency?

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Strongly disagree here.

Start punishing and suspending ANY hit to the head, and you'll suddenly see players stop targetting heads, and you'll still see spectacular "body" checks. Players will adapt and stop targetting the head. But right now, it's not something they even have to consider. Whenever they see a player with his head down, they think : "hey, easy target! Let's hurt him without consequence for me".
How obtuse are you? Hits to the head are not black and white….

Yes, there are times players leave their feet and go for a killing check. There are also times where a player is lining up a clean hit, but the attacking player will try and adjust, deke, or in this case, completely neglect the fact that he’s being lined up for a hit and leave himself in a position where Ray f***ing Charles would crushed him.

If you have an issue with this hit, then stop watching hockey. This wasn’t dirty. Look at the replay. This is a case of a player who’s too stupid to protect himself.

This is why you can’t just start penalizing players for high hits. Look at the actual context.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
I prefer punishing a player for hitting the head of another player while attempting to throw a legal body check, than to blame the victim for having his head down. But maybe that's just me.

These days, having your head down automatically exempts any opposing player for concussing you. It's basically a green light to head hunting. It shouldn't be this way.

Benefit of the doubt shouldn't be to the offender, but to the targetted player.
The player with his head down was carrying the puck. That was a legal hit. I hope Barron is OK.

Reactions: bland

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
If you think you might seriously injure a player you want to hit because he's in a vulnerable position, maybe it's still time to change your course of action? In the name of... decency?

And as I said, at game speed a lot of times when you line a guy up he's not looking at you. But most of the time he sees or feels you're coming and prepares to be hit.

I think you're overestimating how much time guys have to evaluate if the player is in a vulnerable position and change course of action. Sure there's instances where there may be able to do that but on some level you have to commit to the hit.

Reactions: PuckLuck3043

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
Disagree. Players skating with their head down wouldn't be untouchable. You can still check them without trying to make hit a highlight reel hit. You check them by accounting for the fact that they are in a vulnerable state. The goal of hockey is not to make spectacular checks, it's to take control of the puck. If they player doesn't see you coming, you don't need to apply full force to make him lose control of the puck.
The goal of hockey is to win games. Intimidation is a HUGE part of that. A player on the wrong end of a big hit is going to be thinking twice next time, will be hesitant, and more likely to make a weak play or mistake, which in turn can help the other team to win.

Ghost of Murph

Dec 23, 2023
As much as I want to hate on Trouba it was a clean hit and Barron was at fault for the outcome. When a guy such as Trouba is on the ice you have to show better awareness than Barron did. Trouba has made plenty of predatory hits. The one on Barron was not one of them. Hockey is fast and Trouba committed to making a hard clean hit. Not his fault that Barron decided to put his head at midget height.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
decision can be changed or modified if the player you are targetting is in a vulnerable state.
Yes, in slow-mo. But rarely in real time, at the pace this game is played.

This is yet another flaming example of somebody who has never played hockey on ice. You just don’t get it. It’s embarrassing. I’m embarrassed for you.

I’ll repeat it. Fractions. Fractions of a second. To make an adjustment physically. Your brain might want to try and do it, but physically? No.

Trouba reads his play. He reacts. Lines up his check. Barron goes onto potato mode. He’s not even looking at TROUBA despite the train being locked in.

HE. Didn’t. Even. Lift. His. Hands. Up. WTF are we even talking about here. 🤦🏻‍♂️

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
The goal of hockey is to win games. Intimidation is a HUGE part of that. A player on the wrong end of a big hit is going to be thinking twice next time, will be hesitant, and more likely to make a weak play or mistake, which in turn can help the other team to win.

I'm not against big hit. It's ok for players to fear being hurt and humiliated by a good body check. It's not ok for them to fear for their life because some known head hunters are getting a green light to target heads whenever a player lower his head to see where the puck is.

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
Yet if you go look it up, there is plenty of hits that goes through the body that doesn't make head contact, and especially there are plenty of hits that doesn't make the head as the point of contact where it jolts back before the follow through.
There is also many hits where it is a follow through and the head gets hit as part of the hit, clean hit in such matters, this was not so.
Frankly you shouldn't even need to have to go look it up, you should know this by now.

Talking about concepts and you refer to a video of a McAvoy hit that isn't even relatable to this as the circumstances are completely different and not within the same concept of hit.

The people laughing are old school hillbillies for the most who's not caught up to our current time or rules of the game.
Unless there's some supplementary discipline coming Trouba's way tomorrow it seems like you're the one not caught up to the current time or rules.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
His shoulder was right on the nose of Barron. It wasn't "down" at all.
Because Barron tried to duck it.

If he didn't realize that he was up against a known predator in that situation, well, he does now. He left himself wide open to be clocked with that open body position and head down. Sorry kid, there are monsters out there - gotta take some responsibility for your own safety.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Oh wow, we're there already. What's next? I'm not a real hockey fan because I think we should do more to prevent young players from getting concussed?
All players, young and old, should realize this is a physical sport where you have to protect yourself. So yes. If you have a problem with this hit, then hockey is too violent for you and you should watch something less physical.

Go watch the WNBA. Or poker. Anything but hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad