Value of: Tristan Jarry?

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I see that he has had a rough start to the season and the Pens are playing their third string over him right now. One thing Dubas has done pretty consistently is move off of players when they lose their fit. That makes me think we could see Jarry being shopped to some teams who could use goaltending help.

What teams might be interested (Oilers, Canucks, Sharks, who else?) and what might it cost to get him?

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I see that he has had a rough start to the season and the Pens are playing their third string over him right now. One thing Dubas has done pretty consistently is move off of players when they lose their fit. That makes me think we could see Jarry being shopped to some teams who could use goaltending help.

What teams might be interested (Oilers, Sharks, who else) and what might it cost to get him?
giphy.gif

spaghtti

Oct 13, 2013
Oilers need to spend any available cap on upgrading the 2nd RHD before ever thinking about spending assets on anything else.

Anyone that thinks a goalie should be a priority for the Oilers hasn't looked at the Oilers roster

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Think we're gonna need to take an anchor contract back to trade him. He ends up with league average numbers but is the most unclutch goalie ever

Reactions: biturbo19

hockeyguy0022

Feb 20, 2016
What's with the Pen's and cup winning goalies losing it after 3-4 years?

Other teams have that guy for like 10 years and he plays the same.... I don't get what happens.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Think we're gonna need to take an anchor contract back to trade him. He ends up with league average numbers but is the most unclutch goalie ever

Yeah. Jarry's numbers don't look too bad from a broad thousand yard overview perspective...but he goes about posting them in about the least desirable manner possible.

He's not necessarily a bad goalie, but he's not a good goalie either. That's a tough sell with the kind of term and salary he's now attached to.

It'd have to be some sort of cap dump swap/offset situation to make it work as a viable option for pretty much any team i can think of. And even then, i think the prospective suitors are pretty limited. There are plenty of places where Jarry might be a marginal, incremental upgrade...but i think most of those teams would probably prefer to just run what they brung and get marginally lesser performance, for a lot less money (or term commitment). It's just a hard to sell commit to ~4 years of underwhelming mediocrity...unless you're replacing something noticeably worse (performance and cap-wise).

Reactions: BKarchitect

Sendhelplease

Dec 21, 2020

What teams might be interested (Oilers, Canucks, Sharks, who else?) and what might it cost to get him?
Why would the Sharks be interested in Jarry? We have Blackwood and Vanacek as tank commanders this season and Askarov waiting in the wings to be the goalie of the future.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
I think his contract is too long for retention to be an option. The team would take back pretty much any cap dump tho
My thoughts exactly. Retention spots are better saved for increasing trade deadline returns on the like of Petterson or moving off of Karlsson at the draft.

With that said, I'd take back 5MM of expiring cap hit without complaining.

Reactions: Malkinstheman

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Avs might have interest in him with retention

I think his contract is too long for retention to be an option. The team would take back pretty much any cap dump tho

Agreed would have to be some bad contract back to make cap work.

Depending on contract depends on compensation Penguins require.

I do think we shouldn't trade him and let him rehab his value though.

Imgoingtowork

Apr 15, 2024
Sweden
Based on what? The team has lost all confidence in him. There was smoke that the team was trying to trade him last year as well.

Based on top quality. The team has confidence in him. Defensive players must help Jarry at the same time Jarry wants to play more regular. Penguins will fight for the Stanley Cup playoffs.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Based on top quality. The team has confidence in him. Defensive players must help Jarry at the same time Jarry wants to play more regular. Penguins will fight for the Stanley Cup playoffs.
I can't tell if you're joking or you haven't watched the Pens in years

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Jarry's probably going to need an enticement attached to him to move him at this point. No, not a 1st or something. But probably something like Jarry and a 4th for a conditional 7th. Largely due to his contract and remaining term.

The problem with Jarry is he's just so mentally weak. He's one of the most un-clutch (if you can call it that) goalies I've seen. And weirdly, he's great pre all-star break but turns into a sieve after January.

When he's on his game, he IS a good goalie. But he just can't seem to get over that mental hurdle to consistently play at that level, and has a knack for giving up weak goals when the team is starting to find its game, which in turn derails any sort of momentum the team has.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Something around Huberdeau, Dman for Graves, Jarry

Huberdeau, Bahl, Vladar (expiring) for Eller (expiring), Graves, Jarry
and then Calgary has to add futures for PIT to say yes
Calgary might need to max-retain on Vladar to make cap work

( I'm just messing around, doubt PIT would agree to this )

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

I don't know if they'd go for it (or if the cap works), but as a Pens fan I'd be all over this. I think while overpaid, Huberdeau can still provide 60+ points and be a top line producer, and the Pens would be getting out from two shitty contracts (Graves and Jarry).

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The only way that there is a market for Jarry is if he has an all-star caliber first half of the season. The Penguins aren't in a spot where it makes any sense for them to pay to get out of Jarry's deal, so they'll probably just ride with him and hope they can sell him after a hot stretch.

Jarry's in a weird spot where he's not a terrible goalie but has an ugly contract that will likely prevent teams from wanting to trade for him. The decently high AAV plus term for a mediocre starting goalie with issues isn't an enticing piece unless a team just has a miserable goalie situation.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003

Huberdeau for Graves+Jarry, forget the other stuff. I'd do it. Despite his awful contract that makes the penguins better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad