Value of: Trevor Zegras this offseason

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Why is Zegras always in the trade threads? Is there a reason for this? Does he want out of Anaheim? Does Anaheim want him out?

If he wants out (or there are issues), you won't get better than a 5OA or Reinbacher for trade offers.
Because he's a good player (good 2C), very flashy, charismatic, and plays for a small market team so people looking for clicks write speculation that big market teams can get him cheap to generate clicks. Fans of those teams believe it and keep offering crap or unneeded pieces to get him. There has been 0 evidence from reputable sources. Actually coach and GM have said that they like him and don't want to move him.

That said, no player in the league (I feel) is untouchable. If there is a sufficient overpay, he can be moved. It will definitely hurt the team that wants him. Think what's fair and add to that.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Because he's a good player (good 2C), very flashy, charismatic, and plays for a small market team so people looking for clicks write speculation that big market teams can get him cheap to generate clicks. Fans of those teams believe it and keep offering crap or unneeded pieces to get him. There has been 0 evidence from reputable sources. Actually coach and GM have said that they like him and don't want to move him.

That said, no player in the league (I feel) is untouchable. If there is a sufficient overpay, he can be moved. It will definitely hurt the team that wants him. Think what's fair and add to that.
Careful…. Montreal has fans amongst them that think them taking zegras from us is doing us a favor

• Haha
Reactions: lwvs84

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
You prob need jets 1st for us to take anderson contract

And mailloux isn’t the type of right handed shot that would appeal to us…. Nor do we want his questionable character

I mean serious question do you think that offer makes any sense at all from Anaheim perspective?
Mailloux and a 1st is a decent offer (no Anderson) but I see no reason for Anaheim to move Zegras. Would need to add a draft pick or prospect though. There is NO problem with Mailloux. Ducks would justhave to decide what they think his ceiling is.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Careful…. Montreal has fans amongst them that think them taking zegras from us is doing us a favor
Yes. Some posters believe he has a bad attitude. Haven't watched enough Ducks games to know myself. Hughes knows though. Unless Verbeek wants to unload him it will take a big offer to get him.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Mailloux and a 1st is a decent offer (no Anderson) but I see no reason for Anaheim to move Zegras. Would need to add a draft pick or prospect though. There is NO problem with Mailloux. Ducks would justhave to decide what they think his ceiling is.
I’d say it’s not even close… unless your specifically talking Montreal 1st(but in the quoted post it’s talking about the jets post)

We already have a late 1st in this draft…. I also think there is a good chance we grab a rhd with our 1st(assuming we don’t win lottery) which makes mailloux less appealing, I don’t see us moving on from zegras cause ”he’s not a fit” and going and getting even less of a fit, nor do I think we’d touch mailloux due to his prior character issues(I’m sure he’s learned from it, but not something we’d want to chance)

Yes. Some posters believe he has a bad attitude. Haven't watched enough Ducks games to know myself. Hughes knows though. Unless Verbeek wants to unload him it will take a big offer to get him.
I think most duck fans love his attitude…. His biggest flaw is his immaturity, which is a work in progress…. But he’s improved defensively, he’s def taken steps in maturity and trying to become more of a leader on the team.

And I agree with last part, I don’t think verbeek wants to unload him, I think he wants to unlock him

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Pretty much the only needs for the Ducks are scoring forwards and a physical RD that can play with Mintyukov on (probably) the top pairing. It won't be 2 (or more) lesser pieces for Zegras (who fills that scoring forward role). It will likely be a RD that Ducks feel will be better than anything in the system. With Ducks picking (likely) 4th, that's where we'll try to get one (Lev, Yak, or draft LD and let Zellweger/LaCombe play on their off side)

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
it's a decent offer for someone like Terry. but for zegras it's an insulting offer that gets your number blocked

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I find it funny one of the reasons people say Verbeek wants to trade Zegras is because hes not the kind of player he likes (skilled, creative etc) yet the man just chose Carlsson over Fantilli.
And hasn’t traded terry/fowler/zellweger /luneau

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
it's a decent offer for someone like Terry. but for zegras it's an insulting offer that gets your number blocked

Meh, I'm not even sure it gets you consideration for Terry. Late 1sts aren't as valuable as fans here seem to think.

Besides, if that were truly enough, there are a large number of actual playoff teams that would gladly have given up their late 1st and a non blue chip prospect for a Zegras (or Terry for that matter). But the people who put forth those kinds of proposals never consider just how easy their offer is to match or even beat.

I find it funny one of the reasons people say Verbeek wants to trade Zegras is because hes not the kind of player he likes (skilled, creative etc) yet the man just chose Carlsson over Fantilli.

For that matter, why would he not trade him last season as an RFA instead of giving him an extension?

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
2024 Winnipeg #1st
2025 Calgary #1st
2025 Montréal #1st unprotected
Justin Barron
Josh Anderson

for

Trevor Zegras

Caufield - Suzuki - Slafkovsky
Roy - Zegras - Dach
Armia - Newhook - Gallagher
Harvey-Pinard - Dvorak - Evans

• Haha
Reactions: MMC

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I don't think it's so obvious that Carlsson is the more skilled player than Fantilli. Maybe more creative, but he's not more skilled.

Loosely speaking, Fantilli and Zegras both have more virtuoso tendencies (in different ways) while Carlsson excels within the group structure and advances it. It's late, I can't explain it.

Reactions: Miller Time

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
This thread will never die. Every time Z is pointless in a game, takes a penalty, or some Habs fan podcast speculates the Ducks should trade him for nothing it will get bumped.

He hasn’t played very well this week. I see a lot of pointless games coming up in the next couple of months for him in a Ducks uniform.

It’s bout to get 10x worse when a healthy zegras is playing with zegras at WC

They might even offer Winnipeg 1st + Harris

But what if he’s not completely healed yet? Would a half healed Zegras play with Zegras or would a not healthy Zegras only play with Zegras if he’s fully healed.

Zegras for reinbacher or habs 1st as a base.

I don’t think Reinbacher is going anywhere. A base of 5OA for Zegras would be a slight overpay from Montreal (from a value perspective) but would somehow fill a need a speed up our rebuild as Hughes said he would like to do.

I’m tempted but I don’t think I would go for it.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Dont hate him, Just highly suspicious.

If he is so amazing why would he be available at all? Its curious

There's never been any reputable source that suggested the Ducks have made him available at all. Seravelli was talking out of his ass, suggesting the Ducks would listen on Zegras after trading his little buddy Drysdale - then all the crappy rumor blogs jumped on it because Zegras is a buzz worthy name that generates clicks.

Seravelli has never proven to have sources in Anaheim, in fact he's been dead wrong about them in the past - for example he claimed last off season with certainty that Gibson had played his last game in Anaheim. I'm much more apt to believe Lebrun who says that the Ducks have not offered Zegras to anyone.

It makes no sense from Anaheim's perspective - he's their most marketable player in crowded sports market, and clearly their most consistent offensive creator when you watch the games. They have all kinds of young pieces and cap space available to try and improve the team, no reason to start by moving your 23 year old (arguably) best young player.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
He hasn’t played very well this week. I see a lot of pointless games coming up in the next couple of months for him in a Ducks uniform.

But what if he’s not completely healed yet? Would a half healed Zegras play with Zegras or would a not healthy Zegras only play with Zegras if he’s fully healed.

I don’t think Reinbacher is going anywhere. A base of 5OA for Zegras would be a slight overpay from Montreal (from a value perspective) but would somehow fill a need a speed up our rebuild as Hughes said he would like to do.

I’m tempted but I don’t think I would go for it.
It really depends the likely hood of 5 being better than zegras anytime soon is unlikely…. Especially if Demidov and celebrini are off the board.

Lindstrom has injury issues
Catton has potential but could just be newhook/krebs type
Eiserman is prob far from a type need for Montreal

Also meant caufield at first part.

Maybe if we win lottery and levshunov was on board, it’d be appealing

Reactions: Kalv

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
If he is so amazing why would he be available at all? Its curious
He's not, full stop (outside of a massive overpayment in the sense that 'anyone' is available for a massive overpayment...). The 'only' people saying he is available are "journalists" fishing for clicks or other teams' fans attempting to say "He absolutely sucks, here's a bag of pucks for him & we'll grudgingly take him on our team..." (trying to snake him by buying very low after an injury filled season).

There has been no, none, zero indication from the organization that they want to move on from him. Will PV take calls asking about him? Sure, that's his job but he's stated that he's not available. The head coach has publicly stated that he wants him to stick around & help the team grow. The owners probably love all the extra marketing opportunities he brings. And essentially every Ducks fan here has said that they don't want to trade him. Many/most will play along with 'what if' offers provided that they aren't of the 'used bag of pucks' offers, but most all of those are tempered with statements along the lines of 'we want to keep him, but for the sake of discussion...'.

Anaheim has zero use for a Z for quantity trade. So it needs to be a one for one kind of trade, one that 'will' hurt the team trading for him. With all the prospects in the Ducks pipeline, the only real 'needs' that they have are a top line RHD of an age to grow with the team or a somewhat bigger version of Z himself.

So, unless you're bringing a star level, young RHD to the table, PV really doesn't need/want to talk to seriously about Z. Also bear in mind that at the draft the Ducks will have a very high pick ... which might be used to get one of those RHD mystery boxes...reducing the desire to trade him even further.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
There's never been any reputable source that suggested the Ducks have made him available at all. Seravelli was talking out of his ass, suggesting the Ducks would listen on Zegras after trading his little buddy Drysdale - then all the crappy rumor blogs jumped on it because Zegras is a buzz worthy name that generates clicks.

Seravelli has never proven to have sources in Anaheim, in fact he's been dead wrong about them in the past - for example he claimed last off season with certainty that Gibson had played his last game in Anaheim. I'm much more apt to believe Lebrun who says that the Ducks have not offered Zegras to anyone.

It makes no sense from Anaheim's perspective - he's their most marketable player in crowded sports market, and clearly their most consistent offensive creator when you watch the games. They have all kinds of young pieces and cap space available to try and improve the team, no reason to start by moving your 23 year old (arguably) best young player.
You are probably correct but who knows....but Lebrun saying The Ducks have not offered him around is not the same as them flat out saying he isn't available or aren't listening to offers.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
You are probably correct but who knows....but Lebrun saying The Ducks have not offered him around is not the same as them flat out saying he isn't available or aren't listening to offers.

Just like PV not instantly hanging up on teams inquiring about zegras doesn’t mean he’s openly available

Reactions: Kalv

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad