Value of: Trent Frederic

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Joseph might be intetesting as a piece to be added to

What on earth would the Bruins want with Mathieu Joseph in a trade for Frederic?

Joseph is less productive, smaller, more expensive, and doesn't have the same premium positional flexibility to play Center or Wing effectively. If that's the deal, Joseph wouldn't be a piece to be added to...he'd be an add-on to something much more valuable as the main piece.

Every team wants a guy like him, including the team he's currently on.

Yeah. I just don't really see the Bruins wanting to move a guy like Frederic unless someone is offering a legit skilled Top-6 Forward on a cheap/ELC contract type deal. Which, only a year out from UFA...i don't think many teams are in a position to make that swing unless they're supremely confident they can get Frederic locked up long-term.

Like...i'd love to add Frederic for the Canucks. Stick him in the middle with Garland on the 3rd line and you've got a monster 5v5 production unit. I tend to look at players like that as bigtime "value proposition" assets. In a league where there is only so much Powerplay time to go around (really 5 guys per team get a significant crack at it)...getting guys who can produce at a top-end rate at even strength is enormously valuable. Especially since it tends to suppress their contract demands because the overall production isn't there.

But as with the majority of teams that would love to add a guy like Frederic...i'm not sure the Canucks have anything that would make any sense to offer to Boston for him. I'd gladly offer up Hoglander...but i'm not sure that really does much for the Bruins. He's at least cheaper and the goal production is there. But smaller, with no Center flexibility...i don't know that the marginal skill advantage would be anywhere in the ballpark to get things moving.

Buffalo certainly seems like a team that could get something moving there. They've got skilled Forward prospects and young players coming out their ears. Way more than they could ever incorporate together into a coherent roster. It'd hurt more than BUF fans would probably like, but they do have the sort of "on the cusp" NHL-ready skilled prospects to form the basis for the only sort of deal that would make sense to swap Frederic for.

I think Toronto might have the pieces to get things started, but i don't think they'd be willing to part with them for a 3rd liner that close to UFA.

Columbus probably have the bits to make a deal, but not really the sort of team that feels like they're necessarily in a position to be adding impending UFA pieces like that to bolster and fill out the bottom of roster per se.

A lot of other teams that i think would come calling...but just don't seem to have the right piece to swap.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Like a rental or what are you looking for?

Ignore trade for a sec. Is a Kuzmenko type rental player the archetype of the player being sought? Or does Boston want someone they can keep longer term like a Mangiapane?

Just curious. Kuzmenko doesn't seem like the style type of guy Boston would want. Mangiapane on the other hand sorta does, but doesn't seem to fit contract wise.
Not afraid of a rental. Just want someone who improves the offense and can help us win more games.

A RW would be preferable. I'm picturing the addition playing on a line with Marchand and Coyle.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He set up Rosen for approximately one million goals the guy probably loves him

Lysell passing the puck may be an indication that he is in need of a wellness check. No one loves his own ability to stick handle at high speed into no space like Lysell at the U20s.

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
I think that's where it gets weird.

What IS the value of a third liner who is 6'3", 26, can move between all three forward positions, and can put up 40 points from the third line with no PP time?

At 5 on 5 he is Lawson Crouse minus one inch. Over the last two years they have the same points and only one off in goals. Frederic and Crouse are tied for 122nd amongst all forwards over the last two seasons. If you just look at goals, it's up to 94th for Frederic with names like Fiala, Ehlers, Tarasanko, Necas, Jenner, DeBrincat, Larkin, Jarvis, etc, littered around him.

OBVIOUSLY, the PP points matter, and that's why Frederic isn't talked about like the guys that get the 5 on 5 points AND the PP points. However, getting that level of production from your third line is amazing.

He hasn't yet shown the deft little touch around the net to earn PP time. He gets his dirty goals but he hasn't shown that quick vision around the net to find the bumper or the cross seam passes that would get him on the PP. I think his time with JVR this season was eye opening for him and he mentioned in his exit that it was the part of his game he wanted to focus on (he also knows that being able to add 15-20 power play points to his stat line will make him MILLIONS more a year).

So I have no idea how to value him. He is going to be hitting free agency next season. I'm sure he wants to bet on himself and not get locked up early.
Brazeau is going to take jvr’s net front presence on the pp next year.

But you summed up Frederic pretty well.

Seems like fans of every team would like him but don’t know what to offer haha. Which is pretty much where I fall.

Not sure the Bruins will trade him though, pretty versatile forward, checks a lot of boxes.

• Haha
Reactions: Pia8988

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
I don't see why Devils fan would complain about that deal. I could actually see B's fans saying no. Holtz has failed to impress since he was drafted, and brings little to the table if he isn't scoring, and so far, he isn't at the NHL level. B's would have to feel vg about his ability to develop in order to make that deal.
Yeah, I think the B's say no there.

Devils fans will hate this, but Frederic for Holtz would be another need-for-need deal akin to Haula for Zacha.

It’d be easier to stomach if it were made bigger to be a one-stop-shop move and the Devils also get their goalie.

The one devils would hate would be Mercer for Frederic + Ullmark (I'd assume with an extension) as a base. Fill as necessary.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I don't think he's shown enough offense to be considered an upgrade offensively on Frederic just yet. He certainly has a higher ceiling a great pedigree, but it would suck to make that trade only to get less offense.
Interesting. If debrusk leaves, Kakko certainly plays a reliable 2-way game and is a big body winger.
I’d probably do the deal as a NYR fan. Frederic was on Sathers radar for years too.
Question is with age/pedigree do the Bruins feel like putting Kakko with talent and giving him a larger role unlocks his offensive game???
It’s not like there’s nothing to work with there, score 40 even strength points a year ago. Was great when he came back from injury, and then went cold in the playoffs again….
A lot would depend on how bruins brass rate him in terms of offensive potential when paired with their guys.
He should signed a cheap 2 year deal as well……
As a NYR fan, I say yes.
A 4th line of Edstrom-Frederic-Goodrow/Rempe would be solid fun to watch and provide a bunch of hits.

Seeing Kakko finally open up offensively with the B’s talent would be a tough pill to swallow if it happens though.
If not, they get a good reliable 2-way 3rd liner.

Last edited:
Reactions: PlayMakers

BronxBruin

Feb 27, 2002
Bronx, NY
Visit site
Stubborn unwillingness to distribute the puck is a quality skill now?
Lysell was 15th in the AHL in assists per game (min. 30 assists). All except 2 (Clarke & Stankoven) of the 14 players ahead of him were older than him. Not too shabby for a guy who is unwilling to pass the puck. Please share more insight on a player you watched play 7 games a year and a half ago. I'm dying to learn more about him. Let me help you a bit:

Last edited:

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Alexandria, KY
Reactions: Over the volcano

BradMarchandismydad

Nov 22, 2016
Boston
Lysell passing the puck may be an indication that he is in need of a wellness check. No one loves his own ability to stick handle at high speed into no space like Lysell at the U20s.

You do know he is primarily a playmaker, right?

Obviously he did a lot of that stuff but he also set up Rosen for like 90% of his goals in WJC

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Paul Walker with a taco shell saying "why not both?"

tumblr_orxg7s8FF91u747gzo1_500.gif

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Lysell was 15th in the AHL in assists per game (min. 30 assists). All except 2 (Clarke & Stankoven) of the 14 players ahead of him were older than him. Not too shabby for a guy who is unwilling to pass the puck. Please share more insight on a player you watched play 7 games a year and a half ago. I'm dying to learn more about him. Let me help you a bit:

Two U20’s, a U18 and a bunch on the AHL package… but take the low hanging fruit and assume all of the beef is with his U20 performances. I’ve actually watched him more with Providence with the AHL package, and the guy still still handle himself into no space on the regular. great grown this year, still saw him getting stripped of pucks and having goals scored against him go the other way because he wouldn’t move the puck promptly.

And yes, his 10 A1’s at 5-on-5 this year was good for 4th in the AHL for guys under 21, behind Sameskevich, Wright, and Stankoven while tied with Del Bell Beluze and Lambert. Good on him for starting to get more of his linemates involved. There is an impressive puck transition player who could be even more productive with how he uses his talents.

Anyway, back to the topic of Frederic: he is the sort of mid-line depth guy most teams yearn for and the Bruins seems to consistently draft and develop. It seems silly to move him unless there is a very specific piece the Bruins would want in return.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Chainshot probably watches more non-NHL games per year than most HF posters do in a decade. Bottom of the list of people you should come at with “do you even watch the games bro?”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad