Tremendous Free Agency For Toronto

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
What a refreshing change to sign three tough forwards who can score goals and fight along with a defenceman who can effectively run the power play and put up 50 to 60 points. All were bargain priced and none have ridiculous term.

As opposed to throwing millions down the drain for mediocre back up goalies like Pete Mrazek and Mutt Murray.

This is what happens when you replace an incompetent hack like Dubas with a professional GM.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I agree Toronto did good, but what about the cap? They sit 8M+ over atm and have 22/23 spots filled. There has to be some trades done still to fit under it.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I agree Toronto did good, but what about the cap? They sit 8M+ over atm and have 22/23 spots filled. There has to be some trades done still to fit under it.

That’s with Muzzin and Robertson on the IR rather the LTIR and the minors. That’s 6.5 of the 8.

If they unload Murray and sign Samsonov to 3.75, they’re 750k over, which is solved by sending Timmins down and going with a 20 man roster.

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019
Who knows how it will turn out, just look at what happened with Calgary last year.

But today was definitely a huge PR win for Leafs management because it gives the media and fanbase something positive to focus on.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
That’s with Muzzin and Robertson on the IR rather the LTIR and the minors. That’s 6.5 of the 8.

If they unload Murray and sign Samsonov to 3.75, they’re 750k over, which is solved by sending Timmins down and going with a 20 man roster.
Any clue how long before Muzzin is activated? I thought he was on IR not LTIR?

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Day 1 was rubbish. Day 2 was good.

But in the grand scheme of things, he's still doing the same thing Dubas was. Changing pieces around the core when it's the core that's the issue. That sounds like the same script as before.

We'll see what more Treliving has up his sleeve as I am certain he's going to continue changing the defense. Maybe he does go ahead with a Nylander trade?

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
Trade Nylander(with extension) for a similar package that Dubois brought back just centred around a quality dman.

Unload Murray somewhere…

Deal Liljegren (for equally good forward with character EI… Laughton)

Deal Timmons for a pick.

Ideally we’d also get our hands on a really great goalie prospect (Askarov???) somehow. (Maybe in the Nylander trade???)

Personally I’d call up Trotz and try to deal Nylander to Nashville for Trenin + Fabbro + Askarov

😁

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Trade Nylander(with extension) for a similar package that Dubois brought back just centred around a quality dman.

Unload Murray somewhere…

Deal Liljegren (for equally good forward with character EI… Laughton)

Deal Timmons for a pick.

Ideally we’d also get our hands on a really great goalie prospect (Askarov???) somehow. (Maybe in the Nylander trade???)

Personally I’d call up Trotz and try to deal Nylander to Nashville for Trenin + Fabbro + Askarov

😁
Carolina would be an ideal trading-partner. Something like:

Nylander

for

Pesce
Suzuki
Anttoni Honka

Talk extensions later.

MAB1

Jul 18, 2022

But in the grand scheme of things, he's still doing the same thing Dubas was. Changing pieces around the core when it's the core that's the issue. That sounds like the same script as before.

We'll see what more Treliving has up his sleeve as I am certain he's going to continue changing the defense. Maybe he does go ahead with a Nylander trade?
What did the Caps do after 7 years of the Ovi era? Where is their Ovi/Backstrom/Kuznetsov trade?

What did the Bolts do after 7 years of the Stamkos/Hedman era? Where is their Stamkos/Kucherov/Point trade?

You'd think for being the hockey mecca of the world the Leafs would have smarter fans...

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
I'm not a big fan of the moves so far.

Replaced Holl with a player who is better offensively and worse defensively.

Replaced Bunting with a player with a history of back issues (for more money).

Reaves is just another Clifford-type move.

Domi is an absolute wildcard. Could be great, could be awful, depends on his mood this coming season.

All that money spent but Schenn walked. He was the perfect partner for Rielly, played incredibly well in his role and kept people away from his goaltender.

In a vacuum I like the players, I just don't know that they're improvements to what was lost.

Reactions: Northernguy10

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
What a refreshing change to sign three tough forwards who can score goals and fight along with a defenceman who can effectively run the power play and put up 50 to 60 points. All were bargain priced and none have ridiculous term.

As opposed to throwing millions down the drain for mediocre back up goalies like Pete Mrazek and Mutt Murray.

This is what happens when you replace an incompetent hack like Dubas with a professional GM.

I feel like the names are bigger than the players at this point, at least on this board.

Happy with day 2 and for sure think we upgraded offensively.

Domi is better than Kerfoot but Kerfoot put up more ESP in the last 3 years (11 more games, 1 more point) and Domi is likely getting PP2 time, not 1 here.

I am saying Domi is better offensively, but people need to realize Domi is not a 70 point player, Bertuzzi isn't either.

Btw I am glad we added scoring since it has been our biggest issue in the playoffs... I am curious if we gave away too much on the defensive side, but we will see, it at least changes the dynamic of the team a little so it's fun.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
What did the Caps do after 7 years of the Ovi era? Where is their Ovi/Backstrom/Kuznetsov trade?
Washington literally retained 1 teammate (Backstrom) of Ovechkin's from the 1st year Ovechkin made the playoffs in 2007-08 and his Cup win in 2017-18. Alex Semin gone. Mike Green gone. Brooks Laich gone. Marcus Johansson came and went.

BTW over in the 5 year period after first making the playoffs Washington drafted the following key players:
John Carlson (2008, 27 OA)
Braden Holtby (2008, 93 OA)
Marcus Johansson (2009, Marcus Johansson 24 OA)
Dmitri Orlov (2009, 54 OA)
Evgeny Kuznetsov (2010, 26 OA)
Filip Forsberg (2012, 11 OA) ---> horrendously traded for Martin Erat
Tom Wilson (2012, 16 OA)

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

This… the cast around the core has constantly changed, including leadership… this just seems like doing more of the same thing, but with a different flavour. Perhaps the differences in play style, more grit and physicality, will have a greater impact come playoff time… but ultimately it would be in the core players to, once again, figure their shit out in the playoffs

That being said it will be a fun road to get there and I’m happy for a fresh new look now that they’ve moved on from Holl and Kerfoot

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I feel like the names are bigger than the players at this point, at least on this board.

Happy with day 2 and for sure think we upgraded offensively.

Domi is better than Kerfoot but Kerfoot put up more ESP in the last 3 years (11 more games, 1 more point) and Domi is likely getting PP2 time, not 1 here.

I am saying Domi is better offensively, but people need to realize Domi is not a 70 point player, Bertuzzi isn't either.

Btw I am glad we added scoring since it has been our biggest issue in the playoffs... I am curious if we gave away too much on the defensive side, but we will see, it at least changes the dynamic of the team a little so it's fun.

Better than anything Dubas ever did with his bland gets like Kerfoot, last year was the first year he got anyone impressive (ROR, Schenn) character wise. Treliving just gave the team character inexpensively and didn't sacrifice much offense or money or term for it. All I see is just more negative yackity shmackity. He did well, very well, Treliving just gave our team some personality and I am sure he isn't done.

I am endlessly amazed by the Dubas superfans and their ability twist everything even if it means painting the team they supposedly love in a negative light.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Better than anything Dubas ever did with his bland gets like Kerfoot, last year was the first year he got anyone impressive (ROR, Schenn) character wise. Treliving just gave the team character inexpensively and didn't sacrifice much offense or money or term for it. All I see is just more negative yackity shmackity. He did well, very well, Treliving just gave our team some personality and I am sure he isn't done.

I am endlessly amazed by the Dubas superfans and their ability twist everything even if it means painting the team they supposedly love in a negative light.

What character? Domi and Bertuzzi are known as rats, not tough guys, they are just other Buntings.

Reaves seems like a good character guy.

Treliving did good, I am saying that. Reading is hard I guess.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
This… the cast around the core has constantly changed, including leadership… this just seems like doing more of the same thing, but with a different flavour. Perhaps the differences in play style, more grit and physicality, will have a greater impact come playoff time… but ultimately it would be in the core players to, once again, figure their shit out in the playoffs

That being said it will be a fun road to get there and I’m happy for a fresh new look now that they’ve moved on from Holl and Kerfoot

Seems like they determined that if we don't have a core with character and we are stuck with them next season, we better fill out the roster with Character guys and hope it's contagious.

What character? Domi and Bertuzzi are known as rats, not tough guys, they are just other Buntings.

Reaves seems like a good character guy.

Treliving did good, I am saying that. Reading is hard I guess.

I would sooner have a bunch of rats that will bite and claw someones ankle off to win than a bunch of Kerfoots. If rats is what it's going to take to change the personality of these BS void of personality "Superstars" so be it.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I would sooner have a bunch of rats that will bite and claw someones ankle off to win than a bunch of Kerfoots. If rats is what it's going to take to change the personality of these BS void of personality "Superstars" so be it.

If you don't think it changed last year by bringing in the personality types, why would it change this year?

I think we addressed our biggest need which is scoring, so I am happy.

If we do well, it won't be because Domi sucker punched some guy for the 10th time in his career or because Bertuzzi stole someone's stick.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
If you don't think it changed last year by bringing in the personality types, why would it change this year?

I think we addressed our biggest need which is scoring, so I am happy.

If we do well, it won't be because Domi sucker punched some guy for the 10th time in his career or because Bertuzzi stole someone's stick.

Lets face it. We have a captain with zero personality. Marner is basically the poster boy for when nerds make it in hockey. Matthews is like the guy that's still figuring himself out and well Nylander I think he knows his deal, he's the lady's man but he prizes his face over taking a hit to make a play so.

You add all that up and all I can say... Bring on the rats, the face smashers and the chirpers because outside that we have nothing.

Add: JT should have his captaincy stripped. It should be Morgan.

Last edited:

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022

😁
I would be all over that trade package.

Trenin - a passionate, hard-working physical beast who is also strong defensively and PKs
Fabbro - underrated d-man with great puck moving and puck retrieving skills
Askarov - possibly future star

Reactions: thewave

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad