Confirmed with Link: Travis Sanheim signs for 2 years, $3.25 million annually

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
All three on two year bridges is not the worst thing in the world if you can't negotiate a team friendly deal.

You can always overpay two years from now, if they've proven themselves worthy and no alternative has emerged from the prospect pool.

So why overpay now?

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
His response -- "This is what I've heard, I am not guessing."

So the idea here is that Fletcher was open to both and did have some discussions, but for him, something around this date (likely 7/1) was an important cutoff.
would be nice if, he said who he heard it from. player? agent? chuck? what these guys hear isn't always what happenes, just what the teller wants out there.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
All three on two year bridges is not the worst thing in the world if you can't negotiate a team friendly deal.

You can always overpay two years from now, if they've proven themselves worthy and no alternative has emerged from the prospect pool.

So why overpay now?
You don't. These players aren't Richards and Carter where you knew they were gonna be good all around players.

Reactions: ted2019

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
It's very possible Fletcher realized he had quickly killed his cap space flexibility thanks to his three bias for action moves so far and needed to bridge Sanheim to make up for it.

A problem of his own creation.

Maybe if he doesn't overpay for Hayes or trade for two vet defensemen then Sanheim gets a full contract.

Or as someone else said earlier, maybe Sanheim didn't want a long-term deal.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Vegas is paying over $6M for the UFA years of Karlsson, with a home town discount and no income tax, that's not far from what we're paying Hayes as a UFA.

And Karlsson isn't a sure thing, Hayes has produced with a variety of wings, Karlsson has only produced with Marchsessault.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Hayes got what Evander Kane got last year, but with an annoying extra million on top.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Correct and if Hayes falls past a certain price point, you tell him thanks but no thanks. They overpaid for him and Vegas got Karlsson on a great deal.

Sure, but UFAs are always overpaid.

You dont walk away from a player you really want over $500K.

Reactions: lancer247

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If the cap does go past $90M in three or four years, Hayes goes from 8.8% of the cap to less than 8%, even Voracek drops from 10.1% to less than 9.2%, so Hayes, Voracek and JVR will all be moveable after 2021-22:
JVR 1 year left
Hayes 4 years
Voracek 2 years

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Sanheim wanted a long-term deal, but not at the price Striiker wanted to pay him. :sarcasm:

RebusFlyer

May 21, 2017
would be nice if, he said who he heard it from. player? agent? chuck? what these guys hear isn't always what happenes, just what the teller wants out there.
I doubt Charlie simply forgot to name his source. As we know from the frequent "anonymous sources" attribution, sources often want to remain unnamed.

Last edited:

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Hayes got what Evander Kane got last year, but with an annoying extra million on top.
The thing is that goalscoring is at premium, especially if it's all 5on5. Just look at how much skinner got whose deal I suspect eventually made Fletch pony up even more. That's also the reason why Duchene will get so much. His skill is way above his hockey smarts making it tougher to be useful on pp.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
2 x $3.25m is not a bad deal.

It might not be as good as a 6 x $5.25m deal if Sanheim really hits, but it still isn't bad.

It also means that relative to the 6 year deal, you save $4M that you can then apply to his 8 year deal if he's worth it, so even if you have to pay a million more per year for those last four years (the first half of the eight year deal that would have been covered by the initial 6 year deal), you still come out even.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The thing is that goalscoring is at premium, especially if it's all 5on5. Just look at how much skinner got whose deal I suspect eventually made Fletch pony up even more. That's also the reason why Duchene will get so much. His skill is way above his hockey smarts making it tougher to be useful on pp.

But defense and PK should have significant value, since that's one less roster spot you need to reserve for a PK guy and defense negates the other team's scoring to some extent.

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
I doubt Charlie simply forgot to name his source. As we know from the frequent "anonymous sources" attribution, sources often want to remain unnamed.
nothing all that secret about the answer or the question if it's a fact. why would someone want to not be named. i have no doubt charlie heard it and ran with it. and was not saying it was b.s. just wondered if / why he didn't say who told him,while saying it was not a guess.

RebusFlyer

May 21, 2017
nothing all that secret about the answer or the question if it's a fact. why would someone want to not be named. i have no doubt charlie heard it and ran with it. and was not saying it was b.s. just wondered if / why he didn't say who told him,while saying it was not a guess.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding your point, but the fact that the answer from a source is accurate doesn't make it less likely the source would want to remain anonymous. They may believe that the story has more impact if it's not attributed to them. They may not be authorized to divulge the information. They may have shared other information in other stories or with other reporters and don't want to be identified as the source for this story because then their previous role in the previoius stories might come to light. Or, maybe they just don't want any publicity.

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
Maybe I'm misunderstanding your point, but the fact that the answer from a source is accurate doesn't make it less likely the source would want to remain anonymous. They may believe that the story has more impact if it's not attributed to them. They may not be authorized to divulge the information. They may have shared other information in other stories or with other reporters and don't want to be identified as the source for this story because then their previous role in the previoius stories might come to light. Or, maybe they just don't want any publicity.
i understand the point you are getting at. i just don't take it as fact that, everything charlie hears from secret sources, is what happened or entirely accurate.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
Haven’t read the thread.

Did it ever come out if chuck failed or if sanheim preferred the bridge?

Chuck said they couldn’t come to an agreement on a long term deal so they agreed on a short term deal. Doesn’t say anything about the terms or what the difference was.

You can drag a horse to the water but you can’t make them drink.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad