Travis Sanheim Discussion Thread Part Two

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Mostly because Provy was in the box for about 12 minutes, but still a good sign. Wasn't his best game last night. He doesn't look comfortable at all on the right side. The foundation of his game is his passing and patrolling the LW boards. Tougher for him to join the rush too. Everything gets more difficult on the offside, especially when you are as tall as Travis. But he was good on the PK and in a 1 goal game, with that a lot of penalties so I guess it evened out. Who knew the tallest guy on the team who is also one of the better skaters would be useful on the PK?!

Still not sure he's a regular on either special teams unit, but he's playing and that's all that matters at this point.

Yeah I would still rather bring in a top 4 right-handed dman like Trouba* and then go with:

Provorov - Trouba/Ghost
Sanheim - Ghost/Trouba
Morin/Hagg - Myers

*or other equivalent top 4 RH dman.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
You could still do it for the time being. Gudas is having a good year. Provy, Ghost, Sanheim, and Gudas should be the top 4 in some order. Give Hägg and MacDonald and Folin sub 15 minutes a night.

Myers should be making his debut soon too. That should happen before you go spending an arm and a leg on a RHD.

flyersjim73

Nov 19, 2011
Philly
You could still do it for the time being. Gudas is having a good year. Provy, Ghost, Sanheim, and Gudas should be the top 4 in some order. Give Hägg and MacDonald and Folin sub 15 minutes a night.

Myers should be making his debut soon too. That should happen before you go spending an arm and a leg on a RHD.

All of this. I agree with every word of this.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Mostly because Provy was in the box for about 12 minutes, but still a good sign. Wasn't his best game last night. He doesn't look comfortable at all on the right side. The foundation of his game is his passing and patrolling the LW boards. Tougher for him to join the rush too. Everything gets more difficult on the offside, especially when you are as tall as Travis. But he was good on the PK and in a 1 goal game, with that a lot of penalties so I guess it evened out. Who knew the tallest guy on the team who is also one of the better skaters would be useful on the PK?!

Still not sure he's a regular on either special teams unit, but he's playing and that's all that matters at this point.

Always surprises me that Sanheim is only 6’3”. He’s got such a tall skating stance and he seems to carry himself like 2 inches bigger than he is.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
Just so this stat is in the Sanheim thread:

2 games under Gordon: back to back 20+ minutes
80 games under Hakstol: never had a back to back of 20+ minutes
jeez
we weren't rebuilding under Hak/Hexy
we were stagnating

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Hak probably hasn't even understood yet that he has been fired.

C-XPs_LUIAAaI5P.jpg

Now I have this image of Hak angrily looking for his beet-red swingline in the bowels of the Wells Fargo Center, mostly likely wherever Gritty was hiding all these years, with Fletch stopping by to tell him that from now on he needs to coach the team from this desk without any contact with the players whatsoever.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I think the best possible D lineup is pretty easily

Provorov-Ghost
Sanheim-Gudas
Hagg-Folin

We know Sanheim and Gudas can play together, but now they can finally get reasonable time.

Yes, that bottom pair is horrible, but until Myers comes up it’s going to be trash no matter what.
Folin > Mac, by far.

Reactions: Rebels57

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Played his 82nd regular season game on Thursday. Here is how he stacks up against his peers. Data from NaturalStatTrick and Corsica.

relRANK
rel CF%+5.795th
rel CF/60+5.0823rd
rel CA/60-7.682nd
rel SCF% +8.972nd
rel SCF/60+1.6338th
rel SCA/60-6.851st
rel HDCF%+8.671st
rel HDCF/60+1.1525th
rel HDCA/60-2.243rd
rel xGF%+7.211st
rel xGF/60+0.2422nd
rel xGA/60-0.416th
P1/60 0.71 21st
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
*Ranks out of 156 defensemen

For a guy who is supposed to be shitty in his own zone, it's surprising his defensive metrics grade out better than his offensive metrics (which are still good). :dunno:

On his hockey card, his overall scoring doesn't stand out, but he's is still above average on a per minute basis, playing mostly with bottom 6ers on a team that isn't great 5v5. He doesn't get many (any?) secondary assists. He ranks in the 16th percentile in secondary assists/60. I would expect that to tick up if he plays with the top 6 more often.

And they might want to try to let him QB the PP. Not sure if anyone brought that up before though.

Harhis

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
Played his 82nd regular season game on Thursday. Here is how he stacks up against his peers. Data from NaturalStatTrick and Corsica.

relRANK
rel CF%+5.795th
rel CF/60+5.0823rd
rel CA/60-7.682nd
rel SCF% +8.972nd
rel SCF/60+1.6338th
rel SCA/60-6.851st
rel HDCF%+8.671st
rel HDCF/60+1.1525th
rel HDCA/60-2.243rd
rel xGF%+7.211st
rel xGF/60+0.2422nd
rel xGA/60-0.416th
P1/60 0.71 21st
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
*Ranks out of 156 defensemen

For a guy who is supposed to be ****ty in his own zone, it's surprising his defensive metrics grade out better than his offensive metrics (which are still good). :dunno:

On his hockey card, his overall scoring doesn't stand out, but he's is still above average on a per minute basis, playing mostly with bottom 6ers on a team that isn't great 5v5. He doesn't get many (any?) secondary assists. He ranks in the 16th percentile in secondary assists/60. I would expect that to tick up if he plays with the top 6 more often.

And they might want to try to let him QB the PP. Not sure if anyone brought that up before though.
But, but, not heavy, reliable, Amac, heavy, no choise... rookie mistakes and, errr... no choise?

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I do think Sanheim's defense is ahead of his offense. He needs to be more assertive as his skills with the puck are obvious. When he does that he'll be Mark Howe.

Reactions: Adtar02

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I do think Sanheim's defense is ahead of his offense. He needs to be more assertive as his skills with the puck are obvious. When he does that he'll be Mark Howe.
Mark Howe is one of the best defensemen in NHL history. Let’s scale it back a bit.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Mark Howe is one of the best defensemen in NHL history. Let’s scale it back a bit.

Sanheim is 21 and one of the best defensemen in the league. When Howe was 21, he was a forward in an expansion league. Sanheim's play in the defensive zone is pretty much vintage 1980s Mark Howe.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Finland
    Austria vs Finland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,377.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Kazakhstan
    Sweden vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,050.00