Player Discussion Travis Hamonic (D)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I have full confidence in Kleven as a bottom pair d. Hamonic had surgery and has looked more Mobile and I am fine with him splitting duty with a still developing JBD and Addison. I welcome you both to take a look at how many legit top 4 rhd exist. There aren't 60 of them that's for sure. There's probably around 50 total in the league at the absolute max. They are scarce. Simple supply and demand issue.
Addison has been terrible. Doubt he makes the team.. JBD hasn't shown much

I would like at the waiver wire

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Addison has been terrible. Doubt he makes the team.. JBD hasn't shown much

I would like at the waiver wire
He's played 2 games with an AHL lineup and is a puck mover.... Who was he giving the puck to?.... He wasn't bad in the first one. JBD has been ok too. If you think they're just gonna find a RHD on waivers that can play in a top 4 or is way better than those 3 you're gonna end up dissapointed.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
He's played 2 games with an AHL lineup and is a puck mover.... Who was he giving the puck to?.... He wasn't bad in the first one. JBD has been ok too. If you think they're just gonna find a RHD on waivers that can play in a top 4 or is way better than those 3 you're gonna end up dissapointed.
I would look for a RD who can play on the bottom pair

Branny is a way better version of Addison. Don't see how he fits in here

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I would look for a RD who can play on the bottom pair

Branny is a way better version of Addison. Don't see how he fits in here
Branntsrom is a left d man. I also don't know how you come to a conclusion brannstrom is 'way better'. Was it your extensive scouting report of 2 pre season games?...

Branntsrom would also have been fine to stay Here if he wasn't slated to be massively over paid at 2.2 million. The open market of 31 teams set his value at 900 k. Now he's yet again on a team where he is battling to stay in the lineup.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Branntsrom is a left d man. I also don't know how you come to a conclusion brannstrom is 'way better'. Was it your extensive scouting report of 2 pre season games?...

Branntsrom would also have been fine to stay Here if he wasn't slated to be massively over paid at 2.2 million. The open market of 31 teams set his value at 900 k. Now he's yet again on a team where he is battling to stay in the lineup.
I mean Branny has an actual NHL contract while the other guy is a PTO.

I am surprised you think that highly of Addison. He is not very strong

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I mean Branny has an actual NHL contract while the other guy is a PTO.

I am surprised you think that highly of Addison. He is not very strong
I don't think highly of Addison but I don't think highly of Brannstrom either. I see them as borderline nhl players that can play a serviceable role in the NHL. Like many many players. The difference between a top ahl guy and bottom NHL has never been closer. Teams with structure and disciplin can move guys in and out of the bottom of their lineup from AHL to NHL with ease. Some teams style of play fit a player better. Hence my point of your bottom pair d men aren't gonna make or break the year. The way I see it ottawa has 3 bottom pair RHD. All that play a different style so depending on who fits the system best. Who is playing the best and who matches up against the opposition they have flexibility.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Colorado might have to waive one of their bottom guys, they picked up Killington, Brannstrom and deHann, all left shots but I think all have played both sides (not that we want Brannstrom for the right side).

As an aside, Colorado gets thin really fast if a RHD goes down and non of those LHD can cut it on the right

Reactions: HSF

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Colorado might have to waive one of their bottom guys, they picked up Killington, Brannstrom and deHann, all left shots but I think all have played both sides (not that we want Brannstrom for the right side).

As an aside, Colorado gets thin really fast if a RHD goes down and non of those LHD can cut it on the right
some good decent options there if they waive them.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

I don't think any are a better fit than Kleven. Sens need his size mobility and physicality. Looked really good the more structure they had against Pitt.

Can those guys play RD better than the sens current options? Maybe? Might be marginal at best. I think its lateral. These last couple exhibition games will show more as there will be more structure and systems.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I don't think any are a better fit than Kleven. Sens need his size mobility and physicality. Looked really good the more structure they had against Pitt.

Can those guys play RD better than the sens current options? Maybe? Might be marginal at best. I think its lateral. These last couple exhibition games will show more as there will be more structure and systems.
Absolutely, I'm super high on Kleven, we sure as heck aren't bumping him with a waiver wire pick up. I see him as our Carlo, maybe with a touch better puck skills (long term). He's going to be a core piece moving forward.

I really like Kylington, I'm not positive he is better on the right side than JBD or Hammer, but he's a great option to have if someone on the left gets hurt, so if he's on par with our other RHD options it might be a good move.

Reactions: bert

DackellDuck

Sep 20, 2024
I think Hamonic has been good so far. Looks more mobile than last year, and a guy like him should be better in a more structured system where he's not left to do too much.

My hunch is he stays with Sanderson to start and Green uses one of Zub or Jensen to insulate and help bring Kleven along in the first quarter of the season.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think Hamonic has been good so far. Looks more mobile than last year, and a guy like him should be better in a more structured system where he's not left to do too much.

My hunch is he stays with Sanderson to start and Green uses one of Zub or Jensen to insulate and help bring Kleven along in the first quarter of the season.
If Hamonic is back to form, playing him with Kleven would mirror how we brought Sanderson along.

I don't like Hammer in the top 4 if we can avoid it,

DackellDuck

Sep 20, 2024
If Hamonic is back to form, playing him with Kleven would mirror how we brought Sanderson along.

I don't like Hammer in the top 4 if we can avoid it,

They may want someone who's better with the puck paired with Kleven, he's not nearly as puck dominant (or good with it) as Sanderson is so Hamonic wouldn't be able to just dump it off to him.

I don't think Kleven and Hamonic have played in a pre-season game paired together yet...

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
They may want someone who's better with the puck paired with Kleven, he's not nearly as puck dominant (or good with it) as Sanderson is so Hamonic wouldn't be able to just dump it off to him.

I don't think Kleven and Hamonic have played in a pre-season game paired together yet...
Minimal chance that Jensen and Zub are out of the top 4 with how many mins Sanderson and Chabot will be eating.

Hamonic hasn't been playing with Kleven because Zub has also been injured making Hamonic move up

DackellDuck

Sep 20, 2024
Minimal chance that Jensen and Zub are out of the top 4 with how many mins Sanderson and Chabot will be eating.

Hamonic hasn't been playing with Kleven because Zub has also been injured making Hamonic move up

If the plan was to play Hamonic with Kleven, I think Green would have used a different placeholder for Zub. It is pre-season after all. The score doesn't matter. They could've played Addison or Roos with Sanderson and had Kleven and Hamonic build chemistry.

Even tonight, Hamonic is out and Sanderson is playing with Yak, who's unlikely to be here all year. Not Jensen or Zub.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
JBD is young and has over 200 games of pro hockey under his belt, half of that in the NHL. Is he spectacular at any one thing? No, not really. But that's sort of typical of bottom pair guys. And at the end of camp, if Greene's view is that Hamonic earned that spot ahead of him, that's a good thing. Hamonic clearly had an off year last year. But JBD is a young guy that can likely play bottom pair RHD on 20 teams. If Hamonic makes him sit, we're stronger because of it

zenator

Jan 1, 2004

Last year, the Sens used Sanderson Zub as much as possible against the opponents' best players. I highly doubt Green uses Hamonic to shut down scoring stars. If he rebounds to being a competent bottom pairing defenseman, that will be a win for the Sens.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
JBD is young and has over 200 games of pro hockey under his belt, half of that in the NHL. Is he spectacular at any one thing? No, not really. But that's sort of typical of bottom pair guys. And at the end of camp, if Greene's view is that Hamonic earned that spot ahead of him, that's a good thing. Hamonic clearly had an off year last year. But JBD is a young guy that can likely play bottom pair RHD on 20 teams. If Hamonic makes him sit, we're stronger because of it
JBD gets underappreciated imo, I guess he's the Rodney Dangerfield of Sens D?

He's an excellent shot blocker, he gets his point shots through to the net, and he's sound positionally, that's not bad for a 6th D.

I'd like to see him move the puck a bit quicker when he gets it in our end, I find he'll often get possession only to get outworked/muscled for it by a second effort on the forcheck, he's not strong when it comes to clearing the crease either, but he's a bottom pair guy, so you expect some warts in the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad