Confirmed with Link: Travis Green named new head coach

sfulefty

May 3, 2009
Well, it was season three where they hit their stride under Green in Vancouver, and then due to Covid there was some significant roster turnover combined with injury issues which are tougher to overcome in a shortened season.

Idk if Green is or isn't the type of coach with a short shelf life, his time in Vancouver doesn't imo provide any real clues on that front.

Canucks season ticket holder (coming in peace). Green was fine/good in Vancouver. Caught between ownership and management (win now vs build for the future). Took over from Willie Desjardins and provided some consistency to a team that needed it. His first year the organizations focus was basically the Sedins swan song, as opposed to developing for the future. Then you had Trevor Linden wanting to build for the future, and GM Jim Benning wanting to win now, and signing free agents that never worked out. As a result, he actually got the Canucks to the playoffs with a lineup that featured: Adam Gaudette, Josh Leivo, Brandon Sutter, Antoine Roussel, Loui Eriksson, Jay Beagle, Jordie Benn, Oscar Fantenberg, Tim Schaller. Miracle work to many on the west coast.

I remember many on these boards saying that if DJ Smith is let go, he wouldn't even get another chance as a HC in the NHL. And there he is as an Associated HC in LA less than one year later.
I think Travis Green has more coaching respect around the NHL than many on these boards are giving credit for.

And realistically if Ottawa once again gets sub .900 goaltending, it won't matter if Scotty Bowman was hired.

As for the rest of the staff, it's a little disjoint as they haven't worked together. But here's my take:
Nolan Baumgartner - hard working & loyal to Green in Van. Need some of that on your staff
Alfie - local legend. Raw as coach.
Mike Yeo - .556 as a Head Coach. Playoffs 5 of 7 years. Very good 1B option.

Ownership, management and coaching staff need to be on the same page for everything to be successful. He never had that in Vancouver. I think he'll surprise you.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
After Green I bet Daniel Alfredsson will be the next Ottawa Senators head coach.

Already looking forward to it.
I'm not. I want an established head coach for once. One who has already won a championship. I don't want to find a diamond in the rough. I'm past that shit. I want someone with leadership like Mclean who gave this team swagger.

Give Gallant/Julien.

Reactions: Senscore and DJB

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Green seems like Guy Boucher 2.0. Detail oriented taskmaster who gets his players to overachieve initially until they burn out and lose interest after a season or two.

so are you worried about having soft NHL players who aren’t committed to winning and don’t have the constitution for playoff hockey or an NHL coach who demands winning?

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I like Alfie being there.. he represents some continuity .. The coaching staff looks great imo .. much better than it has in a very long time

Also you have two guys on the bench in Green and Alfie who never cheated a shift in the NHL and the first step to good coaching is accountability and those 2 guys are the real deal and no player on this roster can ever cheat and come back to the bench thinking it’ll be acceptable.

Two coaches with 2000 NHL games and they both did it right every shift. When the players wake up this morning if they aren’t training their minds and bodies to meet that standard - they aren’t Ottawa Senators

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I'm not. I want an established head coach for once. One who has already won a championship. I don't want to find a diamond in the rough. I'm past that shit. I want someone with leadership like Mclean who gave this team swagger.

Give Gallant/Julien.

Paul Maurice coached in Russia after he coached the Leaves and his team has more swagger then The Marlboro Man

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
After Green I bet Daniel Alfredsson will be the next Ottawa Senators head coach.

Already looking forward to it.

No!

Coaches are hired to be fired....and I don't want that to happen to Alfie.

At least as an assistant he can choose to shift over to scouting or development or off ice stuff. Being let go as the head coach is more of a permanent split with the organization (most of the time).

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
State of the game. Hockey is filled with coddled rich boys these days. Need to give them plenty of treats and cuddles to keep them interested.

Valid point. These aren't blue collar kids anymore. They're from places like North York with lawyer parents who sent them to private hockey schools run by former NHLers their entire childhood. Hockey is too damned expensive for blue collar folks these days unless massive sacrifices are made. MOst NHLers are that kid whose parents gave him a mustang on his 16th birthday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad