Confirmed with Link: Travis Green named new head coach

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
We deride Dorion a lot but wasn't it Chabot and Brady who basically went to his office and told him to get them help? the only way Dorion could have is to use those firsts.

now if Dorion doesn't do it Brady and Chabot are peeved and the room is toxic, they ask for trades.

lesson: can't have weak leaders like Dorion and no way Brady and Chabot should be making demands on a serious team.
Well I don’t disagree. But it’s also not that Dorion traded the picks but what he traded them for. I don’t know that it was smart to trade both, but one of those firsts was for sure worth using… just get a player we actually need, or you know, not someone with an expiring contract.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
We deride Dorion a lot but wasn't it Chabot and Brady who basically went to his office and told him to get them help? the only way Dorion could have is to use those firsts.

now if Dorion doesn't do it Brady and Chabot are peeved and the room is toxic, they ask for trades.

lesson: can't have weak leaders like Dorion and no way Brady and Chabot should be making demands on a serious team.
But they did need help and that was obvious. They still need it. They also all get exit interviews where surely many candid opinions are given about what the team needs to be better. Criticism of Dorion aside, the moves to support and fast forward just didn't work out. Players asking for help can't be blamed for the GM not being able to execute effectively. Its fair to be disappointed in the players and expect more, but there was unspent cap that I'm sure they thought could be used to improve the team. You're right that Dorion shouldn't have followed through if he couldn't make good deals, but we don't have context on the "demands" and them being pissed/asking out is a hypothetical scenario, even if its plausible.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Only for half his tenure, but that’s fair.

I still think he has a better personnel/more help in Ottawa but that doesn’t extend to the goalies so it probably evens out more than I previously alluded.
He had Hughes in the years he was actually supposed to win. Sure there were a lot of problems in the organization, but it’s not like he had nothing to work with. Hughes from 2020-2022 was still a better puck mover than anything we have now.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Boudreau had a 50-40-13 record with Vancouver, with essentally the same roster Green had before getting fired. Had a winning record with Minnesota too.
He had a 18-25-3 record his second season with the same roster, did he forget how to coach?

He was brought in to the wild, a muture team ready to contend to take them to the next level and go deep in the playoffs, they bowed out in the first round every time

They certainly got that new coach bump out of Boudreau in Van but that didn't last. He simply didn't meet expectations in either case, was it a fit issue, a roster issue, a coach issue, hard to say but Boudreau was a risk free hire.

Reactions: SENStastic

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He had Hughes in the years he was actually supposed to win. Sure there were a lot of problems in the organization, but it’s not like he had nothing to work with. Hughes from 2020-2022 was still a better puck mover than anything we have now.
They made the playoffs and went deep his first year with Hughes, year two, the bubble year, saw the team the roster turnover some key pieces with Tanev and Markstrom out the later replaced by Holtby who had been and was awful, meanwhile Pettersson was out half the season with a wrist issue. In a compressed season, you can't afford Holtby giving you .889 sv% for 20 games, he was literally worse than Korpisalo by the numbers, you can't afford to lose your number one center for half the season, and you can't afford to be slow to adjust to roster turnover at key spots.

His last year in Vancouver, I imagine the team needed a new voice as much as anything else.

Last edited:

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
So...how does Green improve our PP (&PK)? Who is running the PP? What changes in personnel on PP1 are likely?

I would like to see Chabby get more PP time (on another team) ;)

• Haha
Reactions: LiseL

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Tkachuk is gone next year if we don't make the playoffs. If he asks for a trade, they don't have the leverage to tell him no, because once his NMC kicks in it will be substantially more difficulty to get a return. This is common pattern recognition stuff since a lot of what happens in the NHL and pro sports is the same story with different people.

If we miss the playoffs and he isn't traded by July 1st 2025 you can ban me from the board (or ban my other account, it's called Loach).
Looking forward to July 1st. I vote we ban both accounts.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So...how does Green improve our PP (&PK)? Who is running the PP? What changes in personnel on PP1 are likely?

I would like to see Chabby get more PP time (on another team) ;)

Hard to know since we don't have the assistants yet, but two big things that could help the PP outside of the impact of coaching is a healthy Norris and a healthy Stutzle. The later is more likely than the other but either would help a lot imo. Stu's wrist seems to have been a factor in him going 61 games before scoring a PP goal, and only scoring the 1 all year compared 10 the year prior.

As for the PK, that's imo an area that requires Staios to address. Goaltending was a league worst (statistically) on the PK, but the underlying numbers didn't stand out in any way. I think adding that RHD we hope to acquire will also help out a lot,

Reactions: chipsens

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So, who do we think are candidates for Assistant jobs?

Alfredsson, Gruden, Mckee, Capuano, an other prominent candidates?
In Vancouver he had Malholtra, Doug Jarvis, Jason King, Nolan Baumgartner and Newell Brown

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton

In Vancouver he had Malholtra, Doug Jarvis, Jason King, Nolan Baumgartner and Newell Brown
I hope Malhotra is involved, dude was a solid locker room presence during his career who might be able to help our centres get better on the dot

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I hope Malhotra is involved, dude was a solid locker room presence during his career who might be able to help our centres get better on the dot
Currently with the leafs but they just fired Keefe so he might be suddenly available.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Jarvis is 69 now.. unfortunately
Malhotra is showing as an assistant in Toronto ... not sure of his status

I would like to see a highly effective Defense coach.. like Gruden and a great two way hall of famer for the forwards and the PP... to narrow it down

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Jarvis is 69 now.. unfortunately
Malhotra is showing as an assistant in Toronto ... not sure of his status

I would like to see a highly effective Defense coach.. like Gruden and a great two way hall of famer for the forwards and the PP... to narrow it down
Ditto for me. Hope they can find coaches that can improve team D and special teams.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He had two years of Hughes in one of them they knocked off the Blues who were the defending stanley cup champs and lost in game 7 to Vegas. Are you going to do any research or just keep complaining?

If they bring back Capuano I will go full @Gil Gunderson on this board.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
He had two years of Hughes in one of them they knocked off the Blues who were the defending stanley cup champs and lost in game 7 to Vegas. Are you going to do any research or just keep complaining?

We have more info on Capuano.. so not sure if that is quite full Gil

Reactions: Big Muddy

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I don't think they will, but he's still under contract so I suppose there's a chance they'd let it run out rather than fire him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad