Confirmed with Link: Travis Green named new head coach

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

We got our guy!

Brutal. Absolutely brutal.

I've been nice but this is pathetic. You get what you pay for in coaches and they'll roll back the worst goaltending in the league for 5 mil instead of a buyout, but not put money into a coach.

We've seen this before. Quite frankly, if this is already rearing its head, we should all give up now. There is no hope for a budget team winning. None at all and it's a gigantic waste of everyone's time other than maybe some light entertainment..

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
I don’t get this hiring! I was hoping for someone with a winning pedigree.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Brutal. Absolutely brutal.

I've been nice but this is pathetic. You get what you pay for in coaches and they'll roll back the worst goaltending in the league for 5 mil instead of a buyout, but not put money into a coach.

We've seen this before. Quite frankly, if this is already rearing its head, we should all give up now. There is no hope for a budget team winning. None at all and it's a gigantic waste of everyone's time other than maybe some light entertainment..
Agreed.

"Best in Class My Ass" is the new slogan for us

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
What about Evason, was he also too expensive? Why didn’t they wait to see what happens with Keefe?

Was Green so in-demand they had to pounce on it?

Last edited:

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
How long before players start requesting a trade?

This can't be good.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Everyone, go look on the main board to see what other organizations fans think of green.

Surely we sens fans must be exaggerating how bad he is.

Other fans must have been able to see some of the positive of green right??

Let's have a look-see.

Reactions: thammias and h2

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Agreed.

"Best in Class My Ass" is the new slogan for us
I'm so disappointed. All these years waiting and it starts out with a giant f***ing thud.

I'm even open to the idea that this could work out, but to already see the $'s being a major issue, it tells me they have no chance of ever winning anything. Budget teams don't win, simple as that.

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
I don't think we're fixing the goaltending issue, so I wanted a coach that could protect Korpi as much as possible. Evason could have done that, I'm not sure Green's teams have been defensive enough to make up for suboptimal goalies.

ottawagm

May 6, 2023
I read from this that we will likely be moving Tkachuk and Norris before their NTC kick in, and resetting the window by 2-3 years.

I'm OK if we went cheap because we have no plans of making the playoffs for a while either way.

I'm not OK with having no plans to make the playoffs.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Everyone, go look on the main board to see what other organizations fans think of green.

Surely we sens fans must be exaggerating how bad he is.

Other fans must have been able to see some of the positive of green right??

Let's have a look-see.
Group think is a very real thing. So is looking up stats on hockeydb.

I love hockey and I watch as much as I have time for, which changes at various points of the year. But I can’t sit here and say I can do any type of thorough analysis on all the coaches that have run an NHL bench, and I don’t think most people can.

Getting caught up in what other people think, or thinking that popular opinions are always valid, is silly in any area of life.

Reactions: inthewings

flyingfingers

Mar 6, 2024
Friedman being extremely diplomatic about the Senators decision making and Green's losing record.

To quote what he says:

"I do think they went pretty far down the line with Craig Berube, and whether it was because Berube felt there were better setups elsewhere... I do think there was some financial question about it... Berube is in a higher stratosphere. Everyone has a right to decide what their worth is, and Berube is in a stratosphere that, I just think that the Senators felt it was situation that didn't make sense for them."

This is purely my reading between the lines, but it sounds like Berube said "I'll come, but it's going to take a couple of years to shape things up so I need security and it needs to be worth my while (i.e. it starts at 5x5)".

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
It's wild how poorly the organization is controlling the message here.

They let two days pass between the story breaking and when they'll talk to the fans.

In the meantime, they issue a press release written by a ninth grader.

Meanwhile, the narrative's quickly becoming that they cheaped out on a retread loser, which is the absolute worst thing for this market to hear.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012

They let two days pass between the story breaking and when they'll talk to the fans.

Meanwhile, the narrative's quickly becoming that they cheaped out on a retread loser, which is the absolute worst thing for this market to hear.

"Don't worry Mike, we'll land Celebrini in the lottery and everything will be fine."

ottawagm

May 6, 2023

In the meantime, we will win the lottery tonight and they will have something else to talk about tomorrow!

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I don't think we're fixing the goaltending issue, so I wanted a coach that could protect Korpi as much as possible. Evason could have done that, I'm not sure Green's teams have been defensive enough to make up for suboptimal goalies.
Nobody can "protect" Korpi. He's basically the worst full time goalie in the league.

Reactions: lang006

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad