Management Travis Green [Head Coach]

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I think it was a locker room issue that led to the buyouts, because both Parise and Suter were serviceable players (albeit overpaid). It's just handcuffing your own roster with $14+ million of deadcap while trying to stay competitive is a monumental task.
They are both well known as good leaders. I doubt locker room issues played any part.

Reactions: Cosmix

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I like the whole your team starts on time thing Travis Green brings. But man does he not have the look of a head coach.

If a chimpmumk was disguising itself as an accountant but had incredible hockey talent and an inability to smile it would be Travis Green

• Haha
Reactions: Rals

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Found the TOI for the defence interesting. 24+ for Sanderson HC oh is well within his range, 20+ for Zub and then Jensen/Hamonic/Kleven all at 16 minutes and Chabot at 18+. Chabot’s going to have to get a 2nd job if he’s playing so few minutes.

I think it’s great .
Chabot has been overused for so long he has a ton of tread on his tires. Despite his lower TOI last year he’s developed really poor habits due to huge ice times trying to conserve energy for the next shift

Hopefully Green can get him back to where he used to be with that intensity he used to have

Reactions: KnuckChuckinTkachuk

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I think it’s great .
Chabot has been overused for so long he has a ton of tread on his tires. Despite his lower TOI last year he’s developed really poor habits due to huge ice times trying to conserve energy for the next shift

Hopefully Green can get him back to where he used to be with that intensity he used to have
i'd agree with that if you watched Chabot and thought "that's a play you make when you are tired"

He makes bone head plays on his side of center ice and I personally don't think it has much to do with being tired. He may well be tired and he may well be trying to conserve energy, but that's not why he does some of the things he does.

StutzlingAway

Feb 28, 2017
i'd agree with that if you watched Chabot and thought "that's a play you make when you are tired"

He makes bone head plays on his side of center ice and I personally don't think it has much to do with being tired. He may well be tired and he may well be trying to conserve energy, but that's not why he does some of the things he does.
I also don't believe that it is due to being tired. I just see way too many soft plays from him around the boards and kill offensive possessions at the blueline. I believe what he is as a defenceman may need to be reassessed if his play doesn't dramatically improve quickly this year. I'd like to be optimistic of it happening but you never know. He was here during the tough years but the reality is what he is right now and in the future is what matters right now. He will be making $10M over the next three seasons and will need to at least be good defensively.

Reactions: JD1

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
To me, Chabot's issue is he always seems to think he's got more time than he does. When he has time and space, he can make some great plays. When he gets pressured, he's often wrapped up in looking for that perfect play and gets himself cornered.

Reactions: StutzlingAway

StutzlingAway

Feb 28, 2017
I can see how that comes from trying to play hero due to the rosters we had in the past. Hopefully he can calm it down and make better plays. One thing that makes me optimistic about him is that his defensive positioning seems to be fine.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
On deployment decision I found interesting was the PK deployment.

No surprises on Unit 1.

Pinto-Gregor
Sanderson-Zub

But... Unit 2 was:

Giroux-Norris
Chabot-Jensen

Amadio and Greig also got a bit of time.

I guess Green isn't ready to have Kleven out there killing penalties, not particularly surprising that Jensen and Zub got the nod ahead of Hamonic.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

No surprises on Unit 1.

Pinto-Gregor
Sanderson-Zub

But... Unit 2 was:

Giroux-Norris
Chabot-Jensen

I guess Green isn't ready to have Kleven out there killing penalties, not particularly surprising that Jensen and Zub got the nod ahead of Hamonic.

Tbh, none of that is surprising at all.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa

No surprises on Unit 1.

Pinto-Gregor
Sanderson-Zub

But... Unit 2 was:

Giroux-Norris
Chabot-Jensen

Jenson, Hamonic and Kleven all played almost exactly 17 minutes each. However, Hamonic and Kleven had 17/18 shifts while every other dman had 28 or more. So, it looks like when Hamonic and Kleven were on the ice, they got caught out on long, long, long shifts. Probably explains why they didn't PK so much, probably gassed from those extra long shifts.

Reactions: aragorn

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Jenson, Hamonic and Kleven all played almost exactly 17 minutes each. However, Hamonic and Kleven had 17/18 shifts while every other dman had 28 or more. So, it looks like when Hamonic and Kleven were on the ice, they got caught out on long, long, long shifts. Probably explains why they didn't PK so much, probably gassed from those extra long shifts.
Our first PK was halfway through the third, they had 3 shifts by that point, and while one was a long shift, that was actually their first shift, so they weren't likely gassed at that point. It seemed very much like a conscious decision to have Chabot out there over Kleven. The second PK you may be right, Kleven had actually gotten double shifted taking a shift with Sanderson shortly before the Penalty, and was actually on the ice with Hamonic when they took the penalty.

Kleven is a rookie, I think they'll ease him into PK duties as he gets more comfortable.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Yes, most coaches are very careful on how they employ rookies & rookie defencemen even more until they prove themselves to be trustful. I thought Kleven & Hamonic played fairly well but did get caught in their end but they are part of a five man unit where the forwards need to help out as well.

Last yr this was a common theme that the forwards were cheating & trying to leave the zone to quickly or playing to high to help. It seems to have changed under Green & hopefully he can continue to instill that in their forwards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad