Friedman: Travis Dermott very likely to be traded.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

M2Beezy

Love ya Grubster
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Dermott and a late pick for Poolman or Dickinson would work for both teams

The90

Feb 27, 2017
I think if there's any player you'd want to bet on doing well in a change of scenary - dermott would be it. I wouldn't be surprised if he flourished into a top 4 dman on another team
Agreed. Skills and effort is there. And is already a decent bottom pairing guy

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
And for years he’s played behind rielly and Muzzin on the left side. Now sandin is fully in the nhl and pushed him back further.

He’s definitely had his chances. While not prolonged, you could see right away he shouldn’t be higher than a 5th D

The90

Feb 27, 2017
He’s definitely had his chances. While not prolonged, you could see right away he shouldn’t be higher than a 5th D
He’s literally had stretches that he’s looked great as a middle pairing guy

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Garden variety depth doesn't return much. Doubt any team gives up anything even semi significant for the likes of Dermott.
Especially one making in excess of what can be buried, and has fallen like a stone down the Leafs depth chart to averaging about 8th in time on ice.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
The dude is a solid defenseman. Just not what the leafs need right now on their back-end. He just needs the right fit and opportunity.

I suspect this being a Defenseman for Forward swap. A bottom 6 forward with similar value and money.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
A good player as a throw in for a warm body in a bigger trade. Value himself as a #6/7D is probably nothing more than a 4th

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
I think given his age Dermott could be a little bit of nice spice in a package or get a late 2nd. GMs overpay for ‘youth and potential’ all the time.

He does everything well, but nothing at a next level, though at the same time he isn’t really weak in any areas, and sadly he’s undersized for the position. He’s a #5-6 guy who can spot fill higher up, but you don’t want him permanently in the top four.

He could become something more or flourish next to the right partner, but I’m just not seeing it.
You think a 6-7 Dman gets a 2nd rounder in return?

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
I think he is worth a mid round pick. He is young enough to still have some upside but every GM around the league can see that he has lost his spot in Toronto.

He could be traded to a team as compensation for doing double retention, he could be a small part of a package for a player they bring in before the deadline or he could be traded just to give him a change of scenery.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
The dude is a solid defenseman. Just not what the leafs need right now on their back-end. He just needs the right fit and opportunity.

I suspect this being a Defenseman for Forward swap. A bottom 6 forward with similar value and money.
So an overpaid 13-14 forward for an overpaid 7-8 Dman?

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
So an overpaid 13-14 forward for an overpaid 7-8 Dman?
Dermott overpaid? What lol

He's a bottom pairing defenseman with potential to move up into a top 4 role. He's stagnated in Toronto and been passed up by Sandin/Liljergen. A fresh start might be what he needs to take the next step

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Ultimately, the challenge in trading Dermott comes down to fit.

He's not good enough / hasn't proven himself enough to be of interest to a contending team that is likely pinching every single cap dollar right now.

For a rebulding team, especially somebody like Anaheim who seems like they're about to lose a marquee defenceman, he's likely a really appealing fit, as a low-risk acquisition -- somebody you can throw into the top 4 -- find out maybe the change of scenery was all he needed -- worst case scenario, he's a depth defenceman for $1.5m for you.

The problem is -- optically, rebuilding teams generally aren't looking to trade draft picks at the deadline. It almost has to be a deal where, for example (not that I think it's realistic), it's a 1st and Dermott for Lindholm, whereas some other team was offering a first and a 4th kind of idea... or to a team for a forward that is losing a defenceman or two to the deadline.

Beyond that, you'd probably want to look at a team that has more picks than they know what to do with like Montreal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad